Had fun with the flamethrower tonight.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Happy 4th!

My 7yr old son and the neighborhood kids get a kick out of my homemade unit.

48201126412_375b034a6d_z.jpg

48201126262_207535b810_z.jpg

Video:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/40775099@N03/48201126127/in/dateposted-public/

Last edited:

root

UZI Talk Supporter
AWESOME!!

I see the words flame thrower & homemade..

Care to share the plans?

That thing looks sweet.

Rich

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I bought the plans from flamethrowerplans.com for about $50 about 6 years ago. The ebook is now $97. Over the years I upgraded to some of the parts used on the X15 Throwflame system.

A good unit can be made for about $500. If you really want to make one, I recommend supporting the flamethrowerplans guy as he has the cheapest, fastest plans. Between the throwflame and flamethrowerplands videos, there are many helpful video tutorials on fuels.

Update:

I just wanted to give Rob @ Flamethrowerplans.com a big thank you!

I bought his ebook back in Dec 2012. I just emailed him to see if he made any improvements to his system since I bought them. He just sent back his updated plans free. It is full of suppliers links, pics, step-by-step illustrations, tech and FAQs . That was very nice of him.

His plans cost $97 and are worth it. It saved me a lot of R&D in the beginning. I recommend his plans.

I do have some suggestions to improve the ease and cost of his system as compared to the Throwflame X15.

1. Only get one Bernsomatic torch and do not modify it. It can be mounted just like the Throwflame X15 system. Just use the 1" 1/8 NPT pipe on the muzzle instead of the 3" nipple.

2. Do not buy the extended propane torch hose. Save a lot of time and money. Mount the torch head to the power wash wand like the X15. Screw the propane tank to directly to the Bernsomatic cast torch head like the X15. Keeping a propane torch tank on it's side has problems with gas delivery.

3. Do not use the quick connect fittings on the 3/8 hose. They leak. It is easy enough to unscrew the newer power washer wands from the hose by hand.

4. His cheap scuba tank backpack is much easier to use than to make one like the X15.

5. I also prefer the USGI 2 grenade/3 mag pouch to hold the 20 oz CO2 tank, the extended ASA hose and 2" pressure gauge. The cooling CO2 tank can chill two beer cans that hare held in the grenade holders. :)

6. Buy the $50 Loews power washer wand.

Last edited:

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
you are pretty awesome...there is so much there to go wrong and end on a horrific death....you are 2x the man I am for doing it....but id love to be your neighbor and watch

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Flame throwers are simple systems. They are high pressure squirt guns with an igniter component. They carry the same amount of personal caution and responsibility as firearms and in most ways are much safer to the general public because of the big size, heavy weight, cumbersomeness, range and emotional fear factor.

These home built systems have considerable margins of safety in their design components, in most cases 3X the ratings.

The only use I've found for them is entertainment. They do a good job at that:)

Last edited:

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
How many seconds does a tank like you are using last?

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
Ever try mixing your fuel?

I made one and used gasoline and used drain oil. That proved the best simplest and cheapest. The fuel would at least burn slow enough to sit on things and burn a while. Not realy gelled however like a real one.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
How many seconds does a tank like you are using last?

60 seconds.

Ever try mixing your fuel?

Yes. Gas/diesel/kerosene mixes shoot further and are fun but more expensive.

Gelled gasoline additives are more expensive and or time consuming. I still am exploring cheaper faster easier recipes for napalm. If anyone has one let me know please.

Last edited:

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
60 seconds.

Yes. Gas/ diesel/ kerosene is fun but more expensive.

Gelled gas is expensive and I still am exploring cheaper faster easier recipes for napalm. If anyone has one let me know please.

Do you use something other than gasoline as fuel?

root

UZI Talk Supporter
500 is nothing for something so cool.

Thanks for the info.

Rich

timkel

I watched a demonstion of a new model flamethrower at a MG shoot. It was compact, lightweight and looked well made. I was standing maybe 25' away and could feel the radiant heat. Interesting but not for me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter