Has anybody compared the Galil ARM .308 to the Ace .308?

prebans

FFL/SOT, Distinction Arms, UZI Talk Life Member,
Looking at buying an original pre-89 Galil ARM .308 or an Ace .308. Any thoughts or comments relating to quality, reliability, accuracy, etc.?

Bonus for cold weather experience. I may be moving to a very cold climate soon and am considering this for a under-the-back-seat ("trunk") rifle.

Mr Folgers

I may be moving to a very cold climate soon and am considering this for a under-the-back-seat ("trunk") rifle.

You are looking to buy a $3000+ preban rifle to throw in your trunk and get iced over?

Man I'd have to recommend neither and that you get a $200 shotgun for that kind of use. Unless you are looking to literally burn your money as quickly as possible, in which case I'd recommend a G-series FAL.

prebans

FFL/SOT, Distinction Arms, UZI Talk Life Member,
You are looking to buy a $3000+ preban rifle to throw in your trunk and get iced over?

Man I'd have to recommend neither and that you get a $200 shotgun for that kind of use. Unless you are looking to literally burn your money as quickly as possible, in which case I'd recommend a G-series FAL.

Money's money and can be made. I'm most concerned with finding something that will put up with winter weather without issues. The old school Galil was among the best, so it's on the list.

FWIW, I'd prefer to find one that isn't pretty and has been used. But, if I have to do it to a NIB pre-89, then I will. My life's worth more than a valuation loss on a tool. :)

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
If a galil, I'd go w/ a 7.62x39 ACE over a .308. There's a SWAT magazine cold weather test that you can locate where the Galil and Valmet both performed excellently IIRC. Valmets being a Scandinavian AK variant. Cold, cold weather, you want guns that run reliably w/o lube. VZ58s also run well in cold weather with minimal lube as the Canadians will strongly attest (AKs being banned there).
REALLY cold weather, I suppose the only caution would be the increased usage of polymer in the ACE could make furniture and magwell a little less reliable...

Mr Folgers

Money's money and can be made. I'm most concerned with finding something that will put up with winter weather without issues. The old school Galil was among the best, so it's on the list.

FWIW, I'd prefer to find one that isn't pretty and has been used. But, if I have to do it to a NIB pre-89, then I will. My life's worth more than a valuation loss on a tool. :)

Sure, money is money. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't spend wisely... a fool and his money are soon parted.

What exactly are you concerned about attacking you that requires a full-length .308 rifle with a bipod in the back of your trunk?
If it can't be brought down with a CCW 9mm or .45 then I'd recommend moving out of zombie-elephant-ville. A Galil isn't going to perform any better than any AK in cold weather regardless.

AresShrike

UZI Talk Life Member
For the most extreme cold weather reliability (5.56), the Galil and Valmet stand completely alone at the top.
But, at $300 plus per magazine, if you can find any, the Valmet M76 is totally blown out of the equation, for me anyway.
(If you do a "Good" kit build, with a good Douglas Stainless barrel, you could be very-very near 1" MOA!!!)
"Quality, Reliability, Accuracy" you asked about, none better, absolutely none.

The FN FNC is very good too.
I think the Arsenal SLR-106 series would be an excellent choice also, or the Polish Beryl Archer.

Now, if you really mean, super cold, for extended periods of time, I'd be a little "concerned" about the polymer on the Ace, (at 70 degrees below zero anyway.)

Ooops, sorry, you meant a .308 gun.
OK, forget the FNC and SLR-106.

Again, the Galil (original) wins, hands down, in .308
Depending on its use, maybe a (Galil) Hadar, Valment hunter, or Vepr Super.

Last edited:

boscoman

UZI Talk Life Member
Have to say that I'm with AresShrike on the Galil in 308. I have an old one that I shortened the barrel to 16" & have used it in most of the classes that I have taken over the years. Has never failed me. For cost & ease of magazines I would be very tempted to go with the new ACE. I don't see a downside to the rifle & would be willing to bet is just as reliable in the cold as the older Galil.

FELIX 808

I've got an original MR 332 & a 1651, they are both great rifles. I think you would be better off going with the Ace for what you want. It runs the shorter gas system, shorter 16" barrel has rails ready to go for your optic of choice unlike the 308 Galil's. Mags are cheaper & faster on the reload. It's a little lighter.
To me the ergo's are better. You are not going to notice any reliability difference, both are solid. I love the style of the older guns for sure, but if I'm going to run out with a rifle, it's going to be my 16556 as it has the mag compatibility with the AR ;)

YMMV

Tackelbarry

Looking at buying an original pre-89 Galil ARM .308 or an Ace .308. Any thoughts or comments relating to quality, reliability, accuracy, etc.?

Bonus for cold weather experience. I may be moving to a very cold climate soon and am considering this for a under-the-back-seat ("trunk") rifle.

I have a brand new Galil 332 that has never even been taken out of the plastic bag that it was in inside of the original box. It is a (4) digit Magnum Research gun. I would hate to see it thrown in the trunk of a car but it could be for sale if you can afford it. When you look at the end of the barrel, through the bag, you can see a clump of the original cosmoline in the flash hider. Personally, I would look for a $2500-3000 beater. I have a Galil Ace in 5.56, which is great, but I can't comment based on shooting it after it has been "frozen" for a prolonged period. If the Galil Ace in 308 will shoot in those conditions it might be a good choice.

AresShrike

UZI Talk Life Member
You know, some of the guns in that 70 degree below zero Alaska State Troopers test, had frozen selectors.
That's why Kalashnikovs have that big-steel-lever on the right side.
The Ace has a little (plastic?) lever.
That could freeze up too.
And those ultra "polymer" P-mags, even they tend to crack badly when dropped in freezing conditions.
I mean, you had several selectors freezing, hammers freezing, mag releases freezing, charging handles breaking off, even the M1A's bolt couldn't be drawn far enough to the rear to cycle.
That is some seriously cold and prolonged shit, no joke.

Only the Galils and Valmet ran like a spring day. (what cold, this ain't cold)
No, I don't think all that plastic would hold up as well the "real deal-real steel" original Galil.
Seriously doubt it.

riderboy

UZI Talk Life Member
Have to say that I'm with AresShrike on the Galil in 308. I have an old one that I shortened the barrel to 16" & have used it in most of the classes that I have taken over the years. Has never failed me. For cost & ease of magazines I would be very tempted to go with the new ACE. I don't see a downside to the rifle & would be willing to bet is just as reliable in the cold as the older Galil.

The new ACE is pretty amazing, I have one now in 5.56. I would love to get my hands on an ACE in .308, everything I've heard about them is great and the magazines are new production, reliable and cheaper. Having said that, I don't think you can go wrong either way, the rails are nice to have if you want to throw an optic on or a light.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter