Inherited UZI Fully Automatic Pistol

hman62

Make sure to remove the hand guards when looking for markings. I have one that was electric penciled underneath. Also many people did not understand the marking rule so some never were marked by individuals. There are other ways to find out basic information if it is on the registry without all the attorneys advice.
Thanks for the info. How do i go about "finding out basic information if it is on the registry without all the attorneys advice"?

TSPC

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks for the info. How do i go about "finding out basic information if it is on the registry without all the attorneys advice"?

Go to 4:50 in the video posted earlier. Below is a summary of the main points.

Call or email your local ATF field office. Explain the situation and have the following information ready for them.

Your name
Owners full name (Your father)
City and State of owner
Date of birth of owner
Serial number
Model number
Pictures of gun and markings

There is no public database of transferable machine guns that you can check anonymously.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Alternatively, if you have a relationship with a Class 3 FFL, he might have a BATF examiner that he knows who can use the above information to check the registry.

I went this route on a gun a very elderly couple had and my FFL and his examiner could find no record of the gun.

It was probably a WWII bring back and wasn’t registered during the Amnesty opportunity.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
You have a lot of accurate answers on here, I will just re-inforce 2 things and suggest a few others.

1. Search for that paper EVERYWHERE.
  2. If you don't have that paper use a lawyer to query the ATF about it.
Things to know:
  1. The ATF looses registration information. I have personally experienced this when i bought 1972 gun that they'd lost the registration info on. Without the form 4 it would have had to have been destroyed.
  2. I'm not an Uzi expert, but I don't think Action arms sold machineguns. That's not necessarily bad, but it means it was a title 1 gun to start, and could have been converted legally. I would expect most real gunsmiths who would have done that conversion would have properly marked that selector so that's not great. It could have been an illegal conversion. Your Father's habits and personality will probably be the best guide here. If Dad was a straight shooter, get the lawyer, if he liked to skirt the law...
  3. If it isn't papered, I would suggest a goal of having it rebuilt as a semi auto. It's an heirloom gun. I am not an expert in this process, and would talk to an 07/02 gunsmith about the details as to whether it is even possible the ATF would let you do this. I'm willing to bet they would require destruction and or surrender immediately. You could certainly have it saw cut and rebuilt on a virgin receiver as a semi.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
Did Uzi pistols exist in semiauto prior to the 1986 laws? I don't have a clue but folks on UT would know. If they didn't, there's your answer.

If they did exist, then how was this one converted? Slotted bolt? If so, that bolt should have a SN and maker on it. If no markings, then there's your answer.

If the conversion is not registered and reversible, I would toss the offending altered bolt / sear whatever and try to restore it to semiauto function and everything is potentially fine. I suppose it depends on how the conversion was done..

MG34_Dan

The safety switch has 3 positions S (white), F (Red) and blank (no marking) The pistol is FULLY automatic when the switch is in the BLANK position. ...

Have you actually fired it and verified it is indeed a machine gun?

slimshady

Going by the Book only as I've never had an UZI pistol or even seen one, internally they appear to be based on the Mini UZI, not the full size. Meaning the bolts are identical, except the pistol has a slot milled in the top of it to allow the cocking handle to engage further back instead of on the front edge. The lower sheetmetal is also shaped differently, but has essentially the same internals.

Meaning the receiver has no blocking bar in it. The conversion, assuming it was done as the factory Micro SMG, would be to add a lower feed lip to the closed bolt and remove the selector stop to allow the FA position of the selector. This makes it a closed bolt SMG, since there are no modifications to the receiver required, one would think replacing the bolt with a normal SA spec one and replacing the lower or repairing the stop would make it a semi auto again, the bolt being the "conversion device". Destroy the bolt of course.

This of course is if it is not registered.

colossians323

Action Arms did not make machine guns. If the conversion was done legally then the name of the person converting it should be on the receiver or the conversion piece. I would look over the gun thoroughly before contacting BATFE. If there is a name, city and serial number on some part of the gun that is a clue to how the conversion was done. The reference section of this site has info on how pistols were converted back in the day.
this, I have an action arms Uzi, it was converted by Fleming

root

UZI Talk Supporter
One other thing to do is remov the full auto grip.

If it has the correct angled trigger guard and you want that it's gonna cost ya.
They bring 450.00 and up on GB for a angled trigger guard grip.

Some of the pistols sold had the plain jane trigger guard also so while not looking the best it will do until the right one is sourced.
You would also want to replace the bolt with a bolt that is missing the lower feed lip.

Another way is to add a blocker to the lower grip to stop it from going to the FA position.
There are how to's here on the forum for converting a lower to semi use only and it's perfectly legal to do so.

Poof gun is now a legal semi auto.

For now I'd definitely lose the lower grip since it's what is converted.
Speaking of lower grip make sure it doesn't have either a registered or contraband KICKER in it.
A legal KICKER will be marked like any other NFA gun/part.

There is no slotted bolt on a mini or pistol UZI.
So easy even a caveman can do it.

ETA:

Some limited pistol conversion info

Last edited:

barrelxchange

UZI Talk Life Member
Sounds like the semi trigger pack was altered.
Check that and fix it like root suggested before going through the lawyer and atf hoops

If you need a bolt, I may have a spare we could trade.
Troy

root

UZI Talk Supporter
My first post. I inherited my father's gun collection. Among the many nice rifles, shotguns, and pistols, was a BLUE box. In the box was a UZI Pistol. Warranty paper and Instruction booklet

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

From OP's 1st original post.

" Blue box " is a Action Arms pistol.

gorillastomp

UZI Talk Life Member
Call the ATF directly give them the information that you have. If they say it is not found of the registry tell them you need to check the serial number again to verify it then hang up. If it is on the registry have them send a replacement copy out to the the executor of estate. The desk jockeys are too busy to care to mess with you. I have done this for many years it’s never been an issue.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Call the ATF directly give them the information that you have. If they say it is not found of the registry tell them you need to check the serial number again to verify it then hang up. If it is on the registry have them send a replacement copy out to the the executor of estate. The desk jockeys are too busy to care to mess with you. I have done this for many years it’s never been an issue.
Is all they need the SN to do a search? I did not think they were unique?

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
Is all they need the SN to do a search? I did not think they were unique?
They will need the name of individual it was registered to (assuming it was) make and model might also be requested. Serial numbers are not necessarily unique in the registry.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter