M10 stocks collapsing?

forindooruseonly

I was trolling youtube in a fit of sleeplessness the other night when I stumbled upon a comment berating some video because the guy was shooting a M10 with the stock extended and looking through the sights. He said the stock on M10s collapse and could injure the shooter. Now, I dismissed this as total BS, as I've shot my mine, and my dad's, for decades now with the factory stock and never experienced this.

But I do wonder if this is an actual problem. Are certain M10s more likely to have this happen? Ours are Powder Springs MACs. Do later ones have a reputation, or do all of them and I've just been ignorant? I mean, I know they aren't exactly the best stock, or the most stable, but ours never collapsed and jabbed that dangerous, pointy sight into our eyes, blinding us...

Should I invest in an eye-patch?

greenpeas

UZI Talk Life Member
The factory cocking puck will break off and hit you in the eye! Corrosive ammo will melt your gun!! You'll shoot your finger off!!!

Collapsing stocks are the least of your worries.

forindooruseonly

Well, yeah I figured so. It's just that the commenter on the video seemed so danged incensed that I wondered if he was blinded by a rogue MAC. I guess I'll continue to happily spray away using that dangerous factory stock. Livin' on the edge, I tell ya!

Wahnsinn

How are they collapsing? Notches not cut deep enough or rounding of edges on the notches?

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
The M11/NINE stocks will in fact collapse while shooting. I've seen it happen. "Generally it's caused from the small pins, or "nubs" that hold the rear portion of the stock in place becoming rounded or shearing off.

The Model 10 stocks are much more robust and should be less prone to this condition but... I wouldn't say it could never happen. It seems wise to periodically and carefully check the condition of every component on any MAC type OEM stock.

mike

UZI Talk Life Member
Happened to me when I was shooting my RPB Mac10. Hit me right in the nose. That was it for me I bought a side folder form Sam at P.S. And love it.

timkel

This has happened on an original powder springs mac-10 45acp. I installed a stronger coil spring on the latch button, problem solved.

y2k87k2000

I bought a non collapsing adapter to keep it out from ps as well. The stock is robust but would randomly collapse because of the small wobble in my stock. Aren't you supposed to hip fire it anyway? I would hit about the same amount of targets. ;-)

Shattered

I've never had a Mac stock collapse, Uzi stocks... all the time. I've heard of them failing, just never had a personal experience myself or anyone I know. Now just about everyone I know that has owned an Uzi has had stock problems. They all went and bought wooden "fixed" stocks... problem solved.

thompson4433

I don't believe anything negative that anyone says about the M10.

Of all the guns ever made, it has the most, and the silliest gun shop bubba BS being said about it.

Super Dak©

I've never had any problem with my PS M10 with its wire stock, but I can see how a week spring could cause it to collapse.
I've also noticed allot of people base their gun comments/knowledge on what they have heard or been told. I don't know how many times someone has told me what problems a certain weapon has when they have never owned or fired that weapon.

DINK

I had the stock collapse on my M10 one time. I must have looked quite a sight, down on one knee with tears and blood streaming down my face. Felt like my nose had run into Smokin Joe Frazier when he was in a bad mood.

I don't think I have shot it with the original stock since then. If I get motivated some day, I'll rework the notches and put a stronger spring in it but it works much better with the AR stock on it anyway.

BlackBelt

UZI Talk Life Member
I shot mine for years with the original wire stock with no problems and no stock malfunctions (PS M10). However, eventually I switched over to a CAR stock just because...

cockednlocked45

UZI Talk Supporter
If somebody's got an old PS m10 stock they wanna sell let me know.

I've had the stock on my m11 slip past the nub, but I've never had it slide into the receiver in me..

Lafsnguy

First time out with my m11/9 the stock collapsed. Scared me pretty good. I put a lage sidefolder and have never looked back.

DistalRadius

First time out with my m11/9 the stock collapsed. Scared me pretty good. I put a lage sidefolder and have never looked back.

+1 pretty much identical experience here. If I hadn't been wearing eye protection the rear sight could have taken out my right eye. Left a pretty good gouge on my glasses.

From the replies, it sounds like its uncommon but definitely happens from time to time.

skiboatsp

UZI Talk Supporter
I have repaired several wire stocks and have found areas that wear with useage / abuse. The lockup pins wear and the lockup area in the stock gets worn and becomes loose. I weld up the lockups with a stronger filler material and remachine, replace the pins with hardened dowel pins, and replace the spring if needed then park.

If done right they can look completly stock!

I personally do not let anyone except myself shoot my mac style guns with the wire frame stocks. I feel it's just too dangerous. On the MG's which I let my friends shoot, I have built side folders or uzi stocks with verticle grips.

Fairbanksan

I have an SWD M11-A1. Since all I have are the PAM2 mags, I can't fire with my stock in the collapsed position. When I shoulder the gun without a mag in, then the stock collapses when I press it into my shoulder.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter