M11/15 Prototype

Status
Not open for further replies.

mak91

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks for the running updates Richard.

Why does the sabre look about an inch longer?
M1115-4.JPG

I started the prototype from a clean slate and 2 plates of aluminum. I tried to make the most compact upper I could. I don't have a m11 SABRE so I had nothing to compare or reference to but it does seem shorter.

X-Ray Zulu

UZI Talk Life Member
Members being part of the process, suggestions, comments, feedback.
Just the videos themselves are a big deal... TIME to process, edit, add sound track. "Professional"
A very few people get to be witness of something like this, let alone a whole forum. Wayyyyyy over the top,
Thank You UziTalk & Co. & c. c. c...

SwampMan

Richard, thanks for the work you guys are doing. The testing you did yesterday looks like it was a lot of fun, and you got some good data from it. I'm sure you are getting input from a lot of arm chair quarterbacks, so I'll post my opinion of the video, feel free to take it with a grain of salt, we all know you know what you are doing.

It looks like the prototype works in principle, so now its just a matter of tuning. Based on its operation a lot of the tuning techniques that work for short barrels AR's should apply to this system. With that in mind:

1. A longer barrel and gas system should slow the action down and provide more reliable cycling. I would suggest looking at a MK18 type barrel and gas setup. This system has been well tested and has a lot of data out there. The MK18 system would get you to a barrel length of between 10" and 11.5" with a 6 inch carbine type gas system. With the proper tuning I think a target RPM of 750 RPM is doable. That would make for a very controllable system.
2. The name of the game when tuning a short AR system is gas and buffer. The gas port needs to be tuned in order to get you the right amount of gas and the buffer weight and buffer spring need to be tuned to give you the right BCG return. A tune-able gas system such as the GovNah will give you a lot of flexibility when testing the different gas configurations.
3. Buffer weight and spring - When tuning the gas system, you have to get the right buffer weight and spring tension. With an open bolt system you may need a stiffer buffer spring to give you the forward force you need to properly feed and ignite the primer. When adding a stiffer buffer spring, you may need more gas to operate the system properly.
4. Feed ramps - I'm hoping that the plan is to cut M4 style feed ramps into the upper. With an open bolt system, feeding needs to be clean and as resistance free as possible.

Here's a video of a guy who has done a ton of testing and tuning of short barrel AR systems. He may be able to help with tuning this thing up.

From a magazine perspective I'm hoping that the plan is to match the mag well angle of the AR mag well. A lot of the polymer magazine on the market flare out after the AR mag well, so guns that use straight bottom mag wells that extend below where the AR mag well does cannot accept these types of magazines. I know your not at the point yet of designing the mag well, but just something to keep in mind when you do get there.

Thanks again for all your doing!

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
That thing is already pretty long and im sure much/much heavier than a M16...so as short of a barrel is possible it my vote....or give the customer options to upgrade to different lengths

any possibility of making the upper ''universal'' as far as calibers?

5.56, 7.62x39

instead of making an AK upper and a M16 upper any way to combine them in a way where an easy swap out could be achieved?...probably a tall order

(not that you've advertised a future AK upper---but im sure you will be getting requests)

ps- just bought another pelican style case for your next (2) uppers Max10-31 and Max10-15----------very exciting to have more $$ in uppers than in the gun itself....becoming funny

boomer135

Can't wait for this upper for a few reason.

1: I need to fill the want of having one
2: Full auto 556! yes please
3: Full auto 300 BLK suppressed, Hell yes!

ROF with the m11/15 looks to be a close to the M-4. I like what I see!

Last edited:

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Nice Richard, thanks for the videos. One thing to remember is the original plan was I was sending this off to the ATF and may have never seen it again. After my testing with the 300 blackout I stripped the receiver down to an empty shell cleaned it and reassembled it using the cheapest used parts I had laying around. The upper was boxed up and I had planed on going to the p.o. that Friday to mail it to the atf but never got around to it. That all changed after we talked and I just changed the mailing address to Richard and sent the upper off.

And so a legend was born.

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
I started the prototype from a clean slate and 2 plates of aluminum. I tried to make the most compact upper I could. I don't have a m11 SABRE so I had nothing to compare or reference to but it does seem shorter.

I was thinking of the distance from the mounting hole to the back of the receiver. Now that I look at the picture again, I think it may be that the SABRE is pivoting on the charging handle, it being on the other side of that weapon, with the whole thing resting on the barrel and the back end jutting up. That would account for making it look shorter.

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
Richard thanks for your efforts in bring this to production and for keeping us updated on the testing progress. Watching the video it seamed like the ejection was erratic; however, when you watch the slow motion video, it appears that the empty cases are striking the charging handle as they are being ejected. Any thoughts about moving the charging handle to the Left Side?

SwampMan

it appears that the empty cases are striking the charging handle as they are being ejected. Any thoughts about moving the charging handle to the Left Side?

Yeah, I asked him the same thing. He said that we was looking into an FAL style left side non-reciprocating charging handle. That would be sweet. I'm also hoping he works out a shell deflector.:)

Garrett

any possibility of making the upper ''universal'' as far as calibers?

5.56, 7.62x39
If I understand correctly, the intention is to use as many off-the-shelf parts as possible, to include AR15 barrels. If I am assuming correctly, that would mean you could swap out pretty much any AR15 barrel, at whatever length you want.

bigmacster

UZI Talk Supporter
I am tempted to jump on the bandwagon. Richard this using a lot of off the shelf parts should really cut the cost on it. Can you give me a "worse case scenario" as to what one may cost? I don't want to waste any time thinking about it if it's not something I can afford.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter