Methods of attaching a suppressor

Clever

I'm thinking of getting a suppressor for my FA Vector. From what I understand, there's two methods of attaching a suppressor, either via a "3-lug" barrel or screwing it on to the receiver's barrel nut threads. Which is better? What exactly comprises a 3-lug barrel remains sort of vague to me too, so if you have pictures they'd be appreciated.

From my uninformed viewpoint, it would seem that the method of screwing it on to the barrel nut threads would be better, as any barrel would work with it, not just the special barrel.

Deanh

Don't get a 3 lug suppressor for the UZI unless you already have an MP5 or such already.

The length of the UZI with 3 lug suppressor is longer than if you get one that replaces the barrel nut. Also look into getting a spare UZI barrel cut down to 8.5" to make it all even shorter.

If you get your UZI barrell 3 lugged you will also have to get the barrel nut opened up so it fits over the lugs.

Generally the 3 lug setup with all the parts and smithing needed is more expensive than the barrel nut attachment.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
3 lug vs threading

I have a Gemtech Mk9k that is a thread mount. I have my 9mm Colt, MINI and Full Size Uzi all threaded to accept this can. I liked the thread mount since I could cheaply use it on all 9mm guns that I could thread the barrel on.
This was all fine until I started competing in SMG matches 5 months ago. Now I'm running around with the whole setup and the suppressor is loosening up sometimes, (yes I know this is not a problem if you have Uzi can that uses the ratcheting mechanism).
So I went to the Shot Show this past weekend and talked to Gemtech about it. I'm going to send my can back and have them make me another mount that is for the 3 lug. I am planning on getting my Colt and MINI barrel three lugged. Best of all, since I have a MK9k that partially disassembles they are going to engrave the thread mount can with the can's serial numbers as well as the 3 lug one so I'll keep both mounts.
Gemtech charges I think $125 to 3 lug the barrel which includes modifying 1 barrel nut. They need at least 1-3/8" after the barrel flange to work with.
I also have a 9mm SDS Uzi can that LRM rebuilt for me that uses the ratcheting mechanism but it is heavy which is NOT LRM's fault as he had to use SDS's registered tube which is stainless.

Renegade

UZI Talk Supporter, , Semper Vigilo
Deanh said:
Don't get a 3 lug suppressor for the UZI unless you already have an MP5 or such already.

The length of the UZI with 3 lug suppressor is longer than if you get one that replaces the barrel nut. Also look into getting a spare UZI barrel cut down to 8.5" to make it all even shorter.

If you get your UZI barrell 3 lugged you will also have to get the barrel nut opened up so it fits over the lugs.

Generally the 3 lug setup with all the parts and smithing needed is more expensive than the barrel nut attachment.

None of this is true for my 3-lug, except the cost, I did have to pay $100 to get the 3-lug installed, whereas the barrel nut is $0.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I just sent off my Gemtech MK9k off to get an additional endcap made for the 3 lug. They are going to serialize both endcaps.
I also sent a MINI Uzi NON-compensated barrel, barrel nut and a 5" 9mm Colt M16 Gemtech barrel (the same that they use on the Gemtech Talon) to get 3 lugged. I was going to send a fullsize Uzi barrel too but decided not to spend the money at this time especially since I have an LRM can that was rebuilt from a crappy SDS tube that replaces the barrel nut.
I was thinking about drilling and tapping my endcap for a set screw so it doesn't loosen but I decided not to. I would like the ability to quickly move the can from my MINI to my Colt during a competition. If I go to the SMG competition and I review the course of fire and see that there are not much targets, I'll use the MINI. If there are a lot of targets, I'll use the Colt. A lot of time is spent loading mags or what not. I don't want to be fiddling with a wrench to move the can around when that time could be spent putting my gear on, loading mags, or talking guns with other shooters.
I'll hopefully have pics soon.

Last edited:

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
amphibian said:
I also sent a MINI Uzi NON-compensated barrel, barrel nut and a 5" 9mm Colt M16 Gemtech barrel (the same that they use on the Gemtech Talon) to get 3 lugged.

amphibian, did Gentech require a non-compensated Mini barrel? I asked SWR about that very issue and they said they thread right over the compensator cuts and it isn't an issue. I'm curious to know what Gemtech said. Looks like I'll have to call Gemtech because they don't seem to respond to email.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Roverdave, it is funny you mention that because that is exactly what I wanted to do. I have 2 factory compensated MINI barrels. I wanted to get one of them 3 lugged and Gemtech (Doctor Dater) told me NO. If you look at the factory compensated barrel the end of it where the compensator slots are is not rifled. The diameter is larger at the end here. This makes the wall thickness of the barrel much thinner. The three lug adapters are threaded 1/2x28 (or maybe it was 1/2x36, I can't remember). So there is isn't much barrel left. Doctor Dater told me to send them a NON-compensated barrel and he needs at least 1-3/8" to work with to do it.
I sent him an IMI Semi barrel that I cut down. They are only $40 from CDNN.
I know you have a Vector MINI which is SMG spec. Unlike the full size Uzi barrels, the semi and smg barrels only differ where the restrictor ring is. Having a MINI Semi barrel in your Vector MINI will work perfectly.
I think it is AggieAlum here on Uzitalk that is getting his MINI barrel 3 lugged from SWR who told him the same that they told you.
I personally will stick with Gemtech since they are the ones that make my can and won't warranty it if done by someone else.
Another thing is if SWR is just threading the compensated barrel and screwing a 3 lug adapter on top, I don't like idea that lead is building up in those compensator slots. I think using a non-comped barrel would be better.
I was wondering if Gemtech could 3 lug it behind the barrel but then there wouldn't be the 1-3/8" that they need to do it.

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
amphibian, thanks for the info. I've heard a lot of good things about the SWR suppressors but this business with the compensator makes me a little leary of them. It's been bugging me ever since they told me that so it's interesting to hear that Gemtech disagrees.

I've seen the semi barrels on CDNN but I was unsure if they had the smaller diameter chamber area. Since they don't, I'll definitely pick one up to turn into a three lug barrel. What length did you cut the barrel to? 1-3/8" past the nut or longer? I'd like the suppressor to come as close to the barrel nut as possible.

Why did you get the Mk-9 instead of the Rapter? On paper the Rapter looks much better - only 1.5" longer, but half the weight and much smaller diameter. But it is almost $100 more.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
It is just me but I prefer to have a can I can disassemble. The Raptor is sealed. Also, since the MK9k can be disassembled I now have the option for different mounting methods. For cleaning, the outer tube of the MK9k is not threaded to anything. It is held in place by compression. I can take the whole baffle core out and clean it without any concern of scratching the outer registered tube. One of the ideas was to fill a pvc pipe with something like Ed's Red and put the suppressor in it and drive around with it in your trunk. Well if some crap comes out, I would be concerned some may scratch the finish of the registered tube. If you can pull the baffle stack out that is no longer an issue.
I don't like to ship anything out to the original manufacturer unless I absolutely have to.
I also like the fat short can look on my MINI. People at the SMG competitions tell me "damn that beer can is quiet". The thicker diameter of the can is not an issue on any of my subguns as the sights are always higher.
Also, I think the Raptor is the same or similar baffle stack as the Gemtech Talon. I shot my MK9K side by side a friend's Talon and everyone agreed mine sounded quieter. Dater told me that the Talon was maybe a little bit quieter but that I probably couldn't hear the difference. So I think the Talon may actually be quieter with a meter but the MK9k has a deeper tone so it sounded quieter to all people that were there.
We did this comparison with me shooting the MK9k on my Gemtech 5" barrel on my M16 so it was pretty much an apples to apples comparison - The Gemtech Talon uses a 5" barrel also. We also used the same ammo.
I cut the barrel almost 2" in front of the barrel flange.
As a side note, I had 2 crappy suppressors made for me by SDS. I demanded that he make them threaded on both ends so I could take them apart. Good thing I did, I had baffle strikes and the design sucked. I sent them to LRM for a rebuild and they are great now. I think Gemtech will be around for a long time and they support their product but I always liked having the option of being able to send the registered tube to be easily rebuilt by a C2.

askimball

FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Supporter,
3-Lug

:2cents

Hey you guys

You can buy the 3-lug adapter for $80.00 + postage, about $10.00 from Gemtech, Dealer for $70.00 + postage. It is a 1/2 x 36 thread. You can get any competent machinest to do that for you at a reasonably price.
Mine does it for me for $20.00.

With the 3-lug you can use your 9mm suppressor (MK-9K or Raptor, Tri-lock {3-lug}) on your M16 (9mm), AR15(9mm), MP5's and on a UZI barrel. Take a barrel nut with you to you neigborhood machinist & he should do that along with threading.

You can have him shorten your barrel at that time if you like.

Regards :-}
Alan :patriot
:uzi :mg

JIMBO

First UZI Talk Supporter, ,
Renegade-

I like the new avatar, but since it is an exit hole does that mean someone is shooting at you from behind the page ? I must just be thinking too much. Perhaps too much CSI on TV.;) :D

Renegade

UZI Talk Supporter, , Semper Vigilo
Good work Grissom. I have started my share of flame wars, so sometimes it seems like I am being shot at. :). Now I have my Uzi avatar up. I was going to put up the Laurie Dhue avatar, but it will have to wait.

JIMBO

I feel swept too...

RoverDave-

You are right. I thought it was only at the range where the newbies swept everyone with their weapons, much less a suppressed weapon by a guy with no eye or hearing protection. Then again, how do you think the person holding the camera must have felt ?:evilgrin ;)

JIMBO

In all seriousness, how in the world can you be serious ? OK, I guess there is a time and a place for a PSA (Public Service Announcement). Never point your gun at anything you are not willing to destroy. In the famous words of Jeff Cooper, Gunsite, AZ USA

I guess you were in the mood to blow the crap out of your camera and tripod. Go figure, sometimes you just have to tear loose.:D ;) :D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter