Model of 1911

gorillastomp

UZI Talk Life Member
I picked up a nice 1911 a few weeks ago. I bought the gun and didn’t ask many questions because it was priced very reasonable. It came in a wooden box with a hint to the previous owner. The Gun serial# 44083x places it made in 1918. I have looked at examples of other guns in about the same serial number range and this one has all the correct armor marks so I feel confident it is all original.
I would love to connect this back to the soldier that this was issued to but have no idea if that is even possible.

Is there a way to locate who the gun was issued to?

gorillastomp

UZI Talk Life Member
1918.jpg

hmsmith.jpg

1911 copy.jpg

I asked a few questions on a facebook page that was dedicated to 1911's and basically everybody was being jerks. I bought the gun not the story and actually underpaid BIG TIME because it had been remarked USMC.
However now that I know that all the parts on the gun are period correct I am curious about the box and the remarking of the gun.

Any help here on who to ask or a website would greatly be appreciated.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Not sure about that time, but during my service weapons would be re-issued if someone transferred out of the unit, died, was wounded severely enough to require evacuation out of theater, or was discharged.

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
About the best place to start would be a letter from Colt stating where it was sent after manufacture. I know that only gets you so far but it's as good a place to start than any. Maybe ancestory.com could help you with the name, both of these places will cost you a few bucks. Just a suggestion.

gorillastomp

UZI Talk Life Member

Well that is what happened on facebook people started getting upset saying I was trying to pull one over on the guys. But honestly I am just looking to get information. I know there is a small chance in Hades that it could be his but very unlikely plus I may never be able to document it even if it was. But I think it is worth an effort to try and find more information.

I believe that the hand engraving and the removal of the US property mark is a HUGE value loss. But it is a nice piece either way for the price I got it for. Also if someone was trying to fake a General's gun I would think the box would say GEN H. M. Smith not LT Col.
I feel that it was truly owned by a LT Col but I dare not jump to conclusions of what the H M Smith stands for.
I would loved to asked the seller some pointed questions but stupid me I forgot to get his information I was so excited to find such an old piece.

Fulliautomatix

Well, to my unlearned eye, the engraving plaque seems strange because it doesn't look like something that was engraved in the early 1930's when he held the rank of Lt.Col. It looks much newer, which would make me think it would be engraved with a higher rank at a later date. Assuming it is the same fellow that is in that link above.

root

UZI Talk Supporter
There were some guys over on WG that has a similar type circumstance and they tracked the owner down in a week.
He had passed but they re united the grouping with the younger nieces and nephews.

Started like you pretty much just some initials and a name.
They went through the branch of service records and as I mentioned inside of a week had the living relatives tracked down.

I thought the box looked fake but it appears after closer inspection to be real close to period correct for about the 40's so probably added to the gun at some time later.

The brass engraving looks a little funky on the patina but I have a new hermes pantograph engraver and it would not only be from the turn of the century, but they were all pulled out of service from the stores they were leased to ( WOOLWORTHS) during both the great war and WWII for Gov contract engraving jobs & NY school district ID tags.
I even think I have that font set.

So the engraving was more then likely done on a new heremes machine, but when seems to be a problem, like I mentioned those pantographs are and were everywhere.
I use my for everything from F1's to just messing around.

Back to the name would be your best bet with public service records on where marines were stationed at the time the gun was brought into mil contract.
you know his name and service branch so that's a great start.

All they had on WG with the other item was a name and closed that case in a week.

Rich

PS: I don't have a FB account I stay away from that crap.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter