Need help on R4 Polymer Mags

Mragu

I just responded to a post on another forum where the South African seller was selling polymer R4 mags in excellent shape. The seller has great feedback so I took a chance. They are $35 each plus shipping. I committed to buying two (2). I have no relation to this seller or the forum. I am merely a humble Jeff Miller customer who is way behind the majority of you guys in assembling my Galil/Valmet/R4 and 5 collection. Is $35 a fair price? Should I have grabbed more? I have not seen polymer R4 mags but I figured this Galil group would know about their scarcity and value. This is not a "what is it worth thread." I am seeking info on the mags and letting you guys know some are on the market. If they are not scare then flame away.

Mr Folgers

$35 isn't an amazing deal.

Depends on if you really want SA mags or mags in general. Steel mags are running about $10 now and work perfectly fine, so from that perspective it isn't a good deal.

Because the SA mags were meant to be disposable, I've found them to be pretty fragile. The floorplate is also different on them, so good luck finding replacements. Indeed, they aren't as common as the steel ones, but then again SA produced just as many (if not more) steel bodied mags as they did the plastic, so they aren't a necessary piece of an R4/5 build.

This is not a "what is it worth thread."

Well, you also asked this:
Is $35 a fair price?

So it pretty much is a question of value at the end of this. Generally the plastics float around the $30-$50 mark from what I have seen.

lcastillo

R4 Poly mags have run me $50.00 to purchase since I have collected them. I remember when I first started I paid $80 for just 1 and have heard others paying up to $200.00 per magazine. $35 is a great deal for R4 mags in fact I would not mind a couple. Yes Mr Folgers is correct that R4 Poly mags where disposable to start with, but SADF has found that they have lasted to 20,000 rounds fired and still serviceable. So there you go man! You have my vote to go for it.

Mragu

Thanks for the input guys. I had never seen them before. They will go well with my future CR-21 build.

lcastillo

Read thru Mrf2's R Series thread somewhere in all 74 pages there is information on both poly and steel SA magazines. Also do a search on CR-21's there are a few threads on them also. Good luck!

Slingshot

UZI Talk Supporter
I only use the plastic magazines in my LM5. They're fiberglass according to the head honcho at Denel and they're still manufacturing them. I know the company that makes them and the engineer who designed it. He said that the army prefers the steel magazines and the police the plastic. No idea why. The biggest reason I prefer the plastic is because it can't dent to cause feed problems and that they weigh quite a bit less.

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
Going prone w/ force/weight on mag makes it really easy to break lower quality plastic mags...

Ady

Thanks for the input guys. I had never seen them before. They will go well with my future CR-21 build.

I have found the plastic mags are much easier to get into and out of the CR-21 compared to the steel mags.

I have a friend in SAPS that won't touch a plastic magazine. He had an experience where they had to chase a suspect on foot and while retrieving his R5 from the vehicle the plastic magazine got hooked up and the tabs broke off making the magazine useless. Since then he only uses steel mags.

I think $35 would be about what you can expect to pay locally with the current exchange rate. You aren't being ripped off in my opinion.

hagar

How do the R4's compare with the Galil Orlites?

Orlites are more robust. But new Orlites are VERY tight, even in a real Galil. At least they don't fall out easily! I got some worn Orlites that came with original Sinai desert sand, and they fit well, my new ones not so much.

boscoman

UZI Talk Life Member
The Tapco mags are one of the better magazines I have used. They also make excellent poly mags for AR15 / Tavors.

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
ARs -- it's exceptionally difficult to beat a Lancer opaque mag for durability. However, the MGW steel reinforced bulgarian polymers have me intrigued. Missed out on CDNN having them for $10/mag a week or two ago to give them a test vs the magpul 40s: http://www.mwgco.com/ar-15_accessories/product/012-IK-40SR.html

The issue w/ the tapcos on AKs is that the locking lugs can sheer off rather easily. Less of an issue w/ ARs given how the mags lock, but still worth noting.

Sidewinder

IMO, I don't have faith in the Galil Tapco. I will use them on the range, where for me it doesn't matter if they fail. Other than the range, they stay in the toy box.

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
In my experience, all that can really fail are the locking lugs since not steel reinforced. Haven't had an issue w/ feedlips spreading or cracking on any of mine that I've had loaded (except when at range and emptying mags) for a few years now...

Yes, the steel would be my "go to war" mags, but outside of that extreme use scenario, the Tapcos are GTG as far as I'm concerned. Very much an underrated mag IMO.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter