Need Help Parts Shopping for 11.5 in. Project

Sayeret Shaldag

UZI Talk Supporter
Guys,

Yesterday I decided to build myself an AR. I was committed to spending some 1600-1700 (taxes included) on a 11.5 in. Colt LE6933 Commando, but with all the products available on the market now and all these posts concerning AR builds I have reconsidered. I also have accepted that with a Colt a lot of that premium is for the Pony and has nothing to do with quality.

What I would like to have is a short barreled AR worthy of a place in the Delta Forces' Armory. The direction I can provide is as follows:

I would like to keep all the furniture tangodown, vltor, or magpul tan as that is my personal taste. I want the best components where it matters.

As much as possible I would like to use the same components that Delta armorers would be using on their operators rifles. As for rails AFAIK the only issue brands are Knights, ARMS, and PRI. I could be wrong as I am a novice compared to you all.

Can you all help me put together the shopping list to build this thing?

Should I go with a free float rail system and does that matter with a 11.5 in. bbl.? Should I have one of the newer gas block systems without the attached front sight so I could mount a folding front sight?

As this is an 11.5 inch bbl. project how does this work with regard to legalities in a trust? What gets engraved the upper or lower? Can I already purchase the 11.5 in. bbl.?

What brand of bbl. will I need as this will be a rifle intended for CQB? Will a Krieger or Noveske bbl. be what is needed even considering the 11.5 in. length?

I would like to start ordering today and I guess my starting budget optics not included would be somewhere around $800-$1000. Will this be enough?

Guys, I am counting on your advice. I don't go to ARF.com or whatever it is called as I believe we have the finest talent right here and I feel at home.

Last edited:

subgunner

An SBR AR15 would be papered and marked on the lower.

Unless you already own an SBR or FA you can not have the 11.5" upper and an AR15. That is considered "constructive possession". You will have to wait until you get approval.

While you lose velocity an 11.5" barrel can be accurate. I like the Bushy 11.5" heavy barrel for the money. If you can afford Noveske go for it. I'd use a Daniel Defense or LaRue Tactical free float rail.

If you plan to have a flip up front sight I'd get a gas block version. Why have two parts when one can do.

There are many good lowers, but for the money I like Stag. You can find them for $110.00. I love the LMT SOPMOD stock but the Magpul CTR or Vltor Emod are great and lots cheaper.

The Tango Down battle grip or Magpul Miad are great. This is personal preference for feel. The Miad has lots of options so you should find what works.

If you want magnification the new 3x30 Trijicon is about $750.00 and tits.

The other alternative is a red dot scope. Lots love the Aimpoint but I don't like the looking thru a tube restricted sight picture. Eotech is hard to beat for fast up close shooting and the 1 MOA dot is pretty good out to 300 yards. You can put a magnifier with either one. An Eotech 516 and 3x magnifier will run about $800.00 but you have the best of both worlds in theory. I just added a 4X to my 516 but haven't been to the range yet so the jury is still out for me.

:2cents

tony k

FFL/C&R
Sayeret Shaldag said:
Guys,

(snip)
What I would like to have is a short barreled AR worthy of a place in the Delta Forces' Armory...

I would like to start ordering today and I guess my starting budget optics not included would be somewhere around $800-$1000. Will this be enough?
I have built several AR15s from scratch, starting with a stripped receiver. Even buying used parts of sufficient quality, the cheapest I've come in at was about $600, and that was a 20" A1-spec rifle with no rails or accessories. If you are looking for an SBR AR "worthy of a place in the Delta Forces Armory," figure paying $1k for the upper alone, then add in a coupla hundred more for a quality lower and furniture.

I started researching this exact challenge last year. Finally, I bought a Colt LE6933 Commando. Took possession recently and I love it.

Your Mileage May Vary.:)

StooperZero

While you lose velocity an 11.5" barrel can be accurate.

my 11.5 i bought from sherluk like $300 OTD shoots 4" stringed groups at 200yds unsupported.

Sayeret Shaldag

UZI Talk Supporter
Guys,

Thanks for the input thus far. Let me get this straight once I own an SBR AR I can then buy or build an additional 11.5 in. bbl. without paying for another stamp? If I understand correctly only if I wanted to mount that additional SBR upper on another receiver would I then need to pay another $200 tax to register that receiver, right?

How easy is to remove the standard AR triangular sight post and gas block? Looking at my LE 6920 this seems to be a bit involved as the post seems pressed on to the bbl. with rivets.

I was at a gun show several years ago and I saw a Colt 11.5 in. upper that the gentleman referred to as the "Delta" upper. He said it was a heavy bbl. upper especially made for Delta. Is this true and has anyone ever heard of this "Delta" upper?

Thanks again and any input is most appreciated.

drw

UZI Talk Life Member
The MGI-QCB upper is what I use and I love the flexibility of this upper. Barrel length and caliber changes are fast and easy.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Sayeret Shaldag said:
Guys,

Thanks for the input thus far. Let me get this straight once I own an SBR AR I can then buy or build an additional 11.5 in. bbl. without paying for another stamp? If I understand correctly only if I wanted to mount that additional SBR upper on another receiver would I then need to pay another $200 tax to register that receiver, right?

Correct

How easy is to remove the standard AR triangular sight post and gas block? Looking at my LE 6920 this seems to be a bit involved as the post seems pressed on to the bbl. with rivets.

I don't know how the 6920 differs from any other Colt upper I've messed with but it should just be a matter of using a hammer/punch to drive the taper pins out.. Never seen one w/ rivets.

I was at a gun show several years ago and I saw a Colt 11.5 in. upper that the gentleman referred to as the "Delta" upper. He said it was a heavy bbl. upper especially made for Delta. Is this true and has anyone ever heard of this "Delta" upper?

Colt made a pistol and AR-15 called the Delta Elite. Search on Google and you will see the pistol and AR I'm talking about.
I think that was just a marketing thing. I don't think Delta actually used them.

There are "SOCOM" barrels/uppers out there though. They are heavy barrels which are heavy profile from the barrel extension to the gas block whereas a regular M4 barrel is thinner in that area.

They made these SOCOM barrels in ~10", 11.5" and 14.5" lengths....could be others as well. I have one that is 14.5".

Since I don't think you are going to be a member of Delta anytime soon, I guess you want this for collector purposes. If that is the case, I'd stick w/ an all Colt setup since that is what the military uses.

If you have deep pockets check out the 10" upper Vaughn has here:
http://www.autoweapons.com/photos/accys/colt.html
http://www.autoweapons.com/photos06/nov/m4a3up.html

Sayeret Shaldag

UZI Talk Supporter
Amph,

I was looking at those uppers yesterday. It is awesome they have the bayo lug. Unfortunately, all I would be able to spend on an all Colt setup is $1700, which will relegate me to the 6933 Commando.

I just noticed this and it kinda sucks that the 6933 does not have the bayo lug. I wonder whether it would be hard to switch that out for a Colt or Mil-Spec. triangular front sight with attached bayo lug.

BTW you are right the front sight/ gas block on my 6920 is held on with pins not rivets.

MarkV

6933 barrel is to short to use a standard bayonet... so a bayonet lug on that upper is sort of worthless imo. the standard bayonet is intended to be used w/ the 20" and 14.5" barrels; there is a clamp that will allow bayonet use with a 16 barrel.

there are lugs on my colt 10.5" 9mm upper and my bushy 11.5" upper but I believe that's just due to parts commonality verses actually being a useful feature. i usually run a can on my guns, so that precludes the use of a bayonet. there are some custom short handle bayonets out there, but they aren't of practical value and look sort of rediculous imo.

D-boy

You probably already know this, but "they" say that if you fire an 11.5" without hearing protection you will damage your hearing permanently. I choose to believe that. If you think there is ever a chance you will use this thing in an emergency, unless you know better, might want to consider a 14.5".

I have an 11.5" with a DS heavy barrel that I bought already assembled with light weight rails and BUIS for $450 - everything except the bolt group. I assume that would not meet your requirements since it is not Colt and not chrome lined. I only have 500 rounds down the tube but no malfunctions and almost all of it was full auto and most with suppressor. I bought it exclusively to use in FA with suppressor, so I wanted the overall length to be manageable. I usually buy Colt but didn't want to Pony up the money and decided to get something cheaper and then sell it if I didn't like it. But so far so good.

Now I want a 14.5 for the reasons you want an 11.5.

MarkV

yep. 11.5" is loud, real damn loud, probably even stun you a bit if fired indoors without ear protection.

i love my 10.5" upper, but like others with shorties it wears a can. with the can the upper is only 1.5" longer than my 14.5".

Samuel_Hoggson

You don't appreciate the noise of shorties when you're shooting them off the shoulder. Stand obliquely to the rear, or even shoot them from the hip and you can feel the "shorty effect".

I've compared 10.5s and 11.5s and can't see (hear) much difference.

Sam

luscioman

Sayeret Shaldag said:
Amph,

I was looking at those uppers yesterday. It is awesome they have the bayo lug. Unfortunately, all I would be able to spend on an all Colt setup is $1700, which will relegate me to the 6933 Commando.

I just noticed this and it kinda sucks that the 6933 does not have the bayo lug. I wonder whether it would be hard to switch that out for a Colt or Mil-Spec. triangular front sight with attached bayo lug.

BTW you are right the front sight/ gas block on my 6920 is held on with pins not rivets.

Sorry I didnt see/respond to your post before. I also live in Miami and have several 10.5" and 11.5" uppers that you could look at/try depending on where you at with this. Just let me know.

MrM4

FFL 07/02, UZI Talk Life Member,
As for the bayonet lug, I have one on my 10.5. Its common to see them on SBRS, if you look around alittle you will find there are "cut down" bayonets availible for the 10.5-11.5 barrels. Someone over on ARF sells them in the EE from time to time.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter