Need info about good/bad transferable Sten makers

_dr

Looking for a transferable Sten before prices go higher.
Cant afford c&r. Does anybody know what the good and bad Stens are,
Any to stay away from? So far I have seen Erb and Norrell Stens for sale
Between $7k and $9k. Any info/opinion is appreciated!!

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
No experience with the Sten, but I have a Charlie Erb Sterling and the work is first rate. I also have one of his MP40s and again the workmanship was outstanding. I would not hesitate to buy an Erb built gun. I have heard good things about Norrell, but have not owned any of his guns.

Banshee

I have a STEN I built on an ERB tube. The gun runs flawlessly.
TkDWGUw.jpg

Last edited:

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
Stens are $6000/6250 right now

Don’t pay $7,000+. I’d you spend $9,000 the seller will be laughing at you!

None of them are selling even at $6000. I’d be offering $5500-5800 if I were in the market

Many of the makers sold tubes for anyone to make their own. so,sticking w a specific maker may not help you. Wilson, dlo or erb imo would have a higher value or at least sell faster. I own a Stemple sten. Ive been told by 50% it has issues and 50% say it looks great. Mine has ran 100% for 1500 rounds.

Mwt always seems to have 1-2 of them. They offer a warranty and are easy to work with. If it doesn’t run they will fix or return. Often they are rock bottom priced

Post some stens your looking at.

https://gunspot.com/listings/detail/2590/sten-mkv/

https://gunspot.com/listings/detail/2219/dlo-sten-mkii-transferable-machine-gun/

Last edited:

_dr

Thanks for all the info!

Found one for $6450 made by Mack Burton in the 1970s.
Its a mk V. Any issues known with his work?

komodoj

UZI Talk Life Member
I have had many stens in the past. DLO, Wilson, Catco and a Barr Armsmaker. My opinion since your asking is stay away from Stens that have been Braised in certain areas( In time with my experience they tend to crack) and shorty stens. Then again any Sten can be De-Braised and welded. But a Shorty Sten is what it is. Shorty stens sometimes run faster or require tuning? Ymmv. These are my opinions. As far as builder it doesn’t matter as long as the tube is not FUBAR then anything can be fixed or repaired. I sent many tube guns to John Andrewski. He’s very fair, does amazing work and has a fast turnaround. So if you can score a good deal and it has to be repaired then at least you have options. Traveler is the man to ask. He’s the Sten guy! Good luck and post pics of your findings. Btw there’s a member on here selling a Barr Sten and I believe Barr still offers warranty on his builds. Memeber Sepul has that Sten for sale.

Starvingboy

I am very familiar with a Stemple Sten. It's not high quality work. I don't know the specific history, but I'd look over something really well before dropping Multiple-thousands of dollars.

FNP90

I picked up a DLO MK2 for $5800 this fall. Look around, they can be found reasonably.

Villafuego

UZI Talk Supporter
The real issue isn't who manufactured the tube......it's pretty hard to get that part wrong.....

Many/most manufacturers sold stripped, registered tubes.......so the problem is when that nice DLO or Catco tube is put together by some nitwit in his garage with a stick welder.....

Villafuego

UZI Talk Supporter
Great info. I have dealt with ARs and HKs but never stens.

Does anybody see any red flags with this one?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/845507218

Id rather buy from a member but right now i have to use a crefit card.

Welds look OK....and even though it has a Mk2 mag housing, and is marked/registered as a Mk2, the safety cutout is in the proper position for a Mk5.

Swapping out mag housings on a Mk5 is easy-peasy.....as you don't have to remove the (often welded on) front sight (like a Mk2)
I'd be sure it has a proper Mk5 trunion.....as they used an indexed bbl.

The Erb Mk5 Gunmountain is selling is a much nicer looking gun/build IMO

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/842547497

Last edited:

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
MWT has a nice looking DLO that is on their email sale today in the low $6k range...offer him $5800 shipped. Its sat for over a month I believe.

no one is buying stens, so your in the drivers seat. make offers...offer $5,500. ive gotten shocking deals a few times with them.

_dr

MWT has a nice looking DLO that is on their email sale today in the low $6k range...offer him $5800 shipped. Its sat for over a month I believe.

no one is buying stens, so your in the drivers seat. make offers...offer $5,500. ive gotten shocking deals a few times with them.

MWT?

Don't know that site? Link? that sound really good.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
look at post #3...I gave you the links 2 days ago

get on the mailing list for MWT, they have email sales every Thursday...often they will take less than they advertise. don't be afraid to offer if the price is too high.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter