Need some advice - removing a really stuck 1/8" set screw

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
I very recently picked up an early TEC-9 (yeah, I know, junk kind of but still interesting) and it really needs a deep cleaning.

When I got it the bolt was stuck about 1/2" from the closed position and it was jammed solid. After some soaking in SeaFoam and some persuasion with a mallet I finally got the bolt out and it was really stuck in the tube with 40-year old solidified oil/grease and a little rust. The trigger group and mag catch were all similarly afflicted.

I've managed to clean all those assemblies but the extractor set screw is just not ready to give. I've soaked it; no joy. I've tried a small butane torch to heat the bolt, let it cool and try again; no joy.

Right now it's in my freezer and I'll give that a go tomorrow.

I even have a ratchet driver and 1/8" bit and it did nothing.

I'll probably give up and test it and hope it works, but given what I've discovered I suspect the extractor slot is full of garbage.

So, any ideas?

9mmsubgun-m11

UZI Talk Life Member
You might try to tighten it a little bit as sometimes this will break them loose. Also try using a small pin punch that will fit inside the screw and give it small firm whack with a hammer. PB Blaster might loosen it up as well.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Something that I have done is warm the area around the screw, then use ice on the screw as limited as you can to try and shrink the screw. Good luck with your project.

Scott

brenbuilds

UZI Talk Supporter
Kano Kroil works very well. Let it soak for 10 minutes or so then attempt to tighten and loosen. Additionally, adding a bit of heat and allowing thermal expansion and contraction can break bonds rather effectively.

Deerhurst

I think your freezer idea could work though the mass of the screw is so much less than the bolt you may not get any real thermal delta. The bolt and the screw will likely warm at the same rate.

I've used PB blaster with good results in the past. I've found soaking with PB blaster, heat it, add PB blaster when hot and let it cool. It should work the PB blaster down the screw.

SecondAmend

Daily applications of Kroil for a week or so has been successful for me with a few corrosion stuck threaded items. The tip about trying to turn slightly tighter before trying to loosen has also been productive.

Best of luck. MHO, YMMV, etc.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Often, smacking the back of the screwdriver while the bit is firmly seated will help.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter