New Sterling Book! "A History of the Small Arms made by the Sterling Armament Co..."

Lima

New Sterling Book! "A History of the Small Arms made by the Sterling Armament Co..."

Anyone heard about this book? Amazon taking pre-orders for release Oct 19th this year. Publisher says releasing Sept 30. The three greats of Sterling Arms literature as authors (Laidler, Howroyd, Edmiston).

"A History of the Small Arms made by the Sterling Armament Company: Excellence in Adversity"

https://www.amazon.com/History-Smal...erling+Armament+Company&qid=1594055604&sr=8-1

Pen & Sword is publisher who published James's two other books
https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/A-H...he-Sterling-Armament-Company-Hardback/p/17870

bsn

It is supposed to be a second edition and expansion of "Guns of Dagenham".

Mr.Maim

Thanks for the heads up.

If you order it directly from the publisher (2nd link @Lima provided above) even with international shipping it is cheaper ($40 USD+$8 shipping vs. $60 USD from Amazon).

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
Thanks for the heads up.

If you order it directly from the publisher (2nd link @Lima provided above) even with international shipping it is cheaper ($40 USD+$8 shipping vs. $60 USD from Amazon).

With international shipping to the US, the delivered price directly from publisher is $58.44. Still cheaper than Amazon, but not a huge savings if you don't want to deal with international payments.

Victor Romen

The Amazon price is their “pre-order” price and not necessarily the final price. The final price you pay will be the lowest price between when you placed your order and the release date, but the max you will pay is $60 even if it goes higher.

Lima

With international shipping to the US, the delivered price directly from publisher is $58.44. Still cheaper than Amazon, but not a huge savings if you don't want to deal with international payments.

It’s not all about money. There are two considerations you did not mention...

One advantage to UK order is timing. Publisher in UK is releasing (Sept 30) about 5 weeks before Amazon says they will have it available (Nov 2). Even with air mail postage delay of about a week, this should still get it in your hands sooner.

Second advantage is more of your dollars will go (in these challenging times) to support a smaller, very gun-friendly independent publisher as opposed to a good chunk of your money going to fund Bezos and our Amazon overlords who have been making billions since the pandemic started while talking out of both sides of their mouths on 2A rights..

I just placed my order using PayPal. Came to £44.40 with Intl. shipping and first time order discount. Update: Total on my card was $57.75 US with all FX exchange and fees.

Last edited:

Lima

Just got this in my inbox... hopefully my pre order will be shipping soon.

"Just released: This title has now been published

We are delighted to inform you that the following title, in which you have previously expressed an interest, has now been published and is available to order via https://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/.

A History of the Small Arms made by the Sterling Armament Company (Hardback)

You have received this email because you requested to be notified when this title became available.

Yours sincerely,

Pen & Sword Books Customer Services

Visit our website www.pen-and-sword.co.uk "

Mragu

I just ordered the book direct from the publisher. Will report back when it arrives.

Lima

All,

My copy arrived from the UK today! Have not dug in to read it all but some initial impressions:
- Book is VERY similar to GoD (Guns of Dagenham) book but thicker and has more pages
- Most of the content outwardly appears to be like GoD including many of the same drawings and pictures. Mnay of the chapter headings are identical to GoD
- Overall, an enhanced and updated version of GoD book, more technical details, more company information, new color images
- Highly recommended for those who were looking for but can't find a reasonably priced copy of GoD

Mr.Maim

All,

My copy arrived from the UK today! Have not dug in to read it all but some initial impressions:
- Book is VERY similar to GoD (Guns of Dagenham) book but thicker and has more pages
- Most of the content outwardly appears to be like GoD including many of the same drawings and pictures. Mnay of the chapter headings are identical to GoD
- Overall, an enhanced and updated version of GoD book, more technical details, more company information, new color images
- Highly recommended for those who were looking for but can't find a reasonably priced copy of GoD

@Lima

Thanks for posting this in the first place in early July, I would have totally missed this release.

Did you order directly from Pen & Sword? I have to say my experience with them has been less than stellar. I am still waiting on my books ... they have provided no tracking information and didn't notify me that they had shipped, they claimed they did after I contacted them 10 days after the book release.

nuge

UZI Talk Life Member
Lima - thanks for the early review and confirmation about receiving the book. Looking forward to receiving mine too.

Lima

RR

@Lima

Thanks for posting this in the first place in early July, I would have totally missed this release.

Did you order directly from Pen & Sword? I have to say my experience with them has been less than stellar. I am still waiting on my books ... they have provided no tracking information and didn't notify me that they had shipped, they claimed they did after I contacted them 10 days after the book release.

I ordered direct from Pen and Sword. Pre-Ordered July 11 with the expectation publishing was ~ late September. Received a Royal Mail posted letter a week or two back saying it was in back ordered, not in print or something like that. Then the package arrived today. Did not receive an e-mail about shipping - unless it went to spam. Totally happy with the transaction and would buy from them again. I am on the east side of the country, and likely close to where the mail arrives from the UK. If you are in the queue and further west, I expect you will see your books quite soon...

Suprasonic

The e-book version is available on Amazon. I downloaded a sample for my Kindle app, and the file had jumbled text. I send the publisher an email about the issue, no response as of yet. Has anyone purchased the ebook version, and did it have any issues?

nuge

UZI Talk Life Member
Just verified that the kindle sample has jumbled text on my sample as well...

Full ebook version is defective as well - same a s sample. I got an immediate refund, but will get the corrected version if and when it gets fixed...

Last edited:

Lungs

Does this book also show schematics, maintenance, etc in addition to it’s history?
Thanks for the info.

Suprasonic

The sample pdf is only a few pages and the cover/opening pages of the book, so only gives a glimpse of the book; however, it looks like the inside of the slip cover has a full schematic of the Sterling, and the table of contents indicates that chapters 15-18 is called the “Armourers Talk Shop” and may contain hard data about the guns.

ferndog1

UZI Talk Supporter
I hope the book has info on Sterlings made after Edminson (sp) took over. There is VERY little info on S prefix sterlings in GoD except for partial serial numbers and dates of mfg.
I have a preMay S31xx2 curious when it was made, the fire selector is marked 34-1-0, crinkle finish.

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
got mine in the mail on Friday.

There is a page or two discussion on the AR18/180

There is a discussion of the loss of production records for post 1983, which is probably not good news for those with S prefix guns.

I glanced through the book to see if I could answer some of the questions. Not sure when I will have time to actually read it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter