Not a gun but…

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
This was a Christmas gift from my fiance. It arrived a bit late, as “MAC” did not have them in stock when she ordered (despite it being listed as available on the website). I have to admit I’m not the biggest fan of the new “MAC” company, as it seems they are paying no homage to the original company at all and are just capitalizing on the name. Though this knife changes that opinion a little bit for me. It’s definitely a lot more of a throwback to the MAC era than their modern looking shotguns and customized 1911s. I’m glad to see they decided to resurrect an item from the original MAC era, and it was an interesting choice as well. I don’t think anyone has made a good Mk II clone (or ANY mkII clone) since the Japanese in the 80s.

It is apparently made in the USA. Tang is stamped “Knoxville TN”. It’s a shame that BS company out in ND has the rights to the Cobray logo… would have looked great on this sheath and blade tang ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

overall it’s a decent knife. it has a decently sharp edge, not quite as sharp as an original gerber, and the gray handle doesn’t have the original Gerber “cats tongue” kinda rough texture, but it looks good. Fit and finish are very nice. This is a reproduction of the very early non-serrated wasp waist MK IIs, though it is not canted like the originals. I have only ever had the later serrated style Mk IIs, so I don’t know what the original Gerber plain blade was like, but I imagine it was probably a bit sharper than this one and made of shiny carbon steel or tool steel. This one appears to be some kind of dull gray stainless, like most modern knives. The blade on this “MAC” knife is thicker than the blade on my 1977 and 1983 Gerber MkIIs. Overall, despite its shortcomings when compared to the originals, I do really like it, it’s a faithful reproduction and much cooler than all the typical modern combat knives on the market today. It was a cool gift, one of many, and I appreciate the hell out of it!

IMG_7490.jpeg
IMG_7489.jpeg
IMG_7494.jpeg
IMG_7493.jpeg
IMG_7492.jpeg

Last edited:

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Nice.
That is really cool for a repop. and looks well made.
Had no idea anyone even made anything like that.

I have a small pile of the Guardians and MK series knives.
Both my Guardians are canted & non serrated
Even had a MK II stolen that was a gift for being the best man at a friends wedding.

Deerhurst

Hell yeah man! Looks good!

Also, sounds like a great catch on the lady as she seems to understand and feed your hobby (habit)!

My fiancee told me I could wear an AK tie clip for the wedding. I may end up making the tie clip since the aftermarket ones kinda look like junk.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
whoa, they have pistol like holsters for the macs? wow
Yes, there were quite a few different types of leather holsters offered for the MACs back in the 70s and 80s. The one in that pic is a factory RPB M10 hip holster. Ill have to post some holster collection pics. I have one of basically every type of leather holster they made (that I know of). I’ve got all the holsters on this RPB catalog page, plus a different version of the M11 shoulder rig, a desantis MAC shoulder holster, an early Powder Springs MAC M10 holster and an interarms M10 holster. I also have an RPB Cobray suppressor holster. I still need to find a powder springs MAC M11 holster, they are hard to come by.

IMG_8685.jpeg

Last edited:

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Ya but do you have the belt buckle? 🤣
Of course I do! I wish I could find the embossed Cobray leather belt. In the 1981 RPB price list they offered a Cobray embossed black leather belt with that buckle. I’ve never seen a good pic of the belt but I’m sure it’s the same embossed smaller size Cobray stamp that’s on the mag pouches and various other RPB leather goods.

I also have an original RPB embossed Cobray black leather key fob as well. I had one on my keys over a decade ago, there was a guy on eBay back then who had dozens of them for like 3 dollars each, but I lost my keys and the key fob. I was bummed, a collector friend helped me replace it and im very grateful!

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Of course I do! I wish I could find the embossed Cobray leather belt. In the 1981 RPB price list they offered a Cobray embossed black leather belt with that buckle. I’ve never seen a good pic of the belt but I’m sure it’s the same embossed smaller size Cobray stamp that’s on the mag pouches and various other RPB leather goods.

I also have an original RPB embossed Cobray black leather key fob as well. I had one on my keys over a decade ago, there was a guy on eBay back then who had dozens of them for like 3 dollars each, but I lost my keys and the key fob. I was bummed, a collector friend helped me replace it and im very grateful!
If you find another one I'm good for it ;-)

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter