not a mac question but i value your opinions none the less

CoffeeFreak

UZI Talk Life Member
Nothing's safe from modification in my home.

Not even this beautiful old mid '80s 870 Magnum.

Took 1.5" of the stock and 18" off the barrel.

Now the barrel is about 10" and the OAL is just under 32".

Since the choke was removed with most of the barrel, I've had it threaded for factory Remchokes and it currently utilizes a modified choke to pay homage to his roots (ie - the choke matches the stamping on the barrel :D).

DSC_4597_zpsjipf6bzp.jpg

I like that.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Well that would certainly create an SBS, unfortunately it would only be a straight-pull repeater without doing the associated gas-port resizing, bolt profiling, and/or gas-system shortening (depending on exactly how short you want to go). Just chopping the bbl on an Vepr/Saiga will NOT result in a functional firearm; theres much more finesse to it than that, especially if you want it to run light loads.

Here is mine. Its an 8" Saiga-12 SBS'd by Tromix back when they were about the only game in town. Its a beast.

DSC0522550_zpsf8d38a09.jpg

If you want to talk to an expert on the subject I recommend you give Leland at Sierra Ordnance Company a call. He does great work and is priced very competitively. Here is a sweet "bare-bones" Saiga-12 SBS he recently did:

_MG_0089-1_zps6ee403c1.jpg

But starting with the Vepr as a host gives you all kinds of great options too, they're pretty wicked. Wish these had been available when I picked up mine.

259586_original.jpg

I was referring to pump action, not autoloading,shotguns. Sorry for any confusion!

forindooruseonly

Hmm. I only get two shots with mine. Maybe I need to start looking into another! I wouldn't mind a pump with a 14 inch barrel and removable choke tubes...

Ithaca3.jpg

Ithaca2.jpg

smdub

UZI Talk Life Member
F the KSG;) I shot a friends a couple times and ended up w/ a BLACK bruise on my wristbone. It ejects shells DIRECTLY down on it. First pump I was like: OWW! WTF?!? I tried holding it other ways but I couldn't come up w/ anything short of a full winter jacket or gloves w/ huge gauntlets to shoot it comfortably. No thanks. Others there all had the same problem.

Sid T.

UZI Talk Life Member
F the KSG;) I shot a friends a couple times and ended up w/ a BLACK bruise on my wristbone. It ejects shells DIRECTLY down on it. First pump I was like: OWW! WTF?!? I tried holding it other ways but I couldn't come up w/ anything short of a full winter jacket or gloves w/ huge gauntlets to shoot it comfortably. No thanks. Others there all had the same problem.

Never had that problem myself or any other folks who've fired it, so I took a look at how that would happen, and my guess is that you were firing it from the hip? That would put your wrist directly under the ejection port.

Next time I take it out I'll watch for that.

quasimodem

So I really like the black aces idea of a mag fed mossberg 500, and surprisingly they can be had for a reasonable price (more or less) and the SBS kit can be had for a total of almost $800 (for both) while a completed one is about $950 on GB. I guess I will go that route since I'm not really needing it on the cheap, and I don't think I'll ever really carry an SBS so the mag won't get in the way of that.

Thanks everyone for the great pics, and helpful input, and if anyone has any pics of any other SBS they have, please post them I like seeing what you creative minds have come up with, almost as much as I like seeing your macs.

QM

Schnitzeraffe

...I don't think I'll ever really carry an SBS so the mag won't get in the way of that...

If you ever decide you do want it in a more compact package, BAT has their "waterfowl" mag available.

It is a 2 round magazine.

It doesn't protrude much below the shotgun and it gives the normal 3 round total capacity that the other KEGs and SSSs have.

smdub

UZI Talk Life Member
KSG: All from the shoulder. I've never fired a gun from the hip. Its interesting we all noticed it first shot and you don't. When you grip it (or an AR) does your wrist not point straight back? Not your arm. Your hand/wrist. You'd have to grab the grip crooked to get your wrist out from under the ejection port. Doesn't matter if you chicken wing or tuck your elbows in - doesn't move the wrist bone location. We're all fairly tall (6' +- a couple inches.) Maybe w/ small hands its forward enough? How tall are you? Im trying to figure out the difference.

Sid T.

UZI Talk Life Member
KSG: All from the shoulder. I've never fired a gun from the hip. Its interesting we all noticed it first shot and you don't. When you grip it (or an AR) does your wrist not point straight back? Not your arm. Your hand/wrist. You'd have to grab the grip crooked to get your wrist out from under the ejection port. Doesn't matter if you chicken wing or tuck your elbows in - doesn't move the wrist bone location. We're all fairly tall (6' +- a couple inches.) Maybe w/ small hands its forward enough? How tall are you? Im trying to figure out the difference.

The distance from the butt to the grip on my setup is 11", the distance from my shoulder to the thumb/wrist is 24", so there's no way my wrist points straight back, it has to fold either sideways (chicken wing) or down, but then downwards is not only uncomfortable but pulls the gun off my shoulder. Sideways (chicken wing) is therefore the obvious way to hold it, and that means my wrist is nowhere near the ejection port.

The center of the ejection port is 5-1/2" from the grip and my wrist is 4" sideways from that, even when tucked in tight.

I can only assume that the empties are bouncing forwards from the port somehow on your gun, I do have the extended magazine selector on mine so perhaps that might have some bearing on it?

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
# Superdak: You,me, & EVERY OTHER GUN GUY ON THE PLANET!!!

thompson4433

Hmm. I only get two shots with mine. Maybe I need to start looking into another! I wouldn't mind a pump with a 14 inch barrel and removable choke tubes...

Ithaca3.jpg

Ithaca2.jpg

those kind of cut down double barrel shotguns are one of the reasons that the NFA law was put into effect

they were called a "whippet" and the cops despised them back in the 1930s

thompson4433

I'm one of the few guys left who doesn't get all swoony at the sight of a cut down rifle or shotgun

I hate guns with a really huge muzzle blast or recoil

When a gun barrel is cut down enough, it starts getting muzzle blast

I owned a remington model 7 in 308 with an 18 inch barrel, it was so toxic to shoot that I traded it away

A beach ball sized muzzle flash sucks when you are actually trying to hit the target.

same with a 16 ga ultra-lightweight shotgun I owned, it would kick so hard it would make tears come to your eyes when you shot it

I was the only guy who could shoot it, everyone else would refuse after they tried it once.

the longer the barrel is on a gun, the more it throws the blast and noise downrange.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
It's a reproduction China Lake 40mm pump action grenade launcher (4+1).

This Launcher was developed by China Lake for the Teams back in 'Nam. The idea was to provide increased organic "heavy" firepower. There's one @ the NSW Museum in Ft Pierce, FL.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter