Opinions on a potential golani purchase

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
There are several companies that offer High Vis front sights, but honestly I don't know what threads (AK or AR or unique) the Golani FS uses

lcastillo

Your best field of view are going to be with the original Galil iron sights. I have tried hi-viz stuff and it kinda blows with the Galil's diopter rear sight. I found the best sight is the South African match front sight post. It is half the thickness of the Galil sight post and makes for better shooting at long distance because it does not cover your target like the thicker Galil front sight post. John over at 24Hour Tactical offers them you will not be disappointed. You can even order the SA large front sight hood that opens up and allows more light for your field of view. It is pretty close to H&K's diopter sighting system. Check it out

http://www.24hourtactical.com/South-African-R4-LM4-Galil-Golani-Front-Large-Hood-Match-Post-SAHP.htm

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
And you can always hit your front sight post w/ some paint as well or if getting really creative could probably cut down a factory front sight install a brass rod and then turn it down to Israeli or SA specs...

lcastillo

Diopter sights are designed to be black so you can silhouette it against your target. Painting the front sight white will make it more difficult for the shooter to acquire line of sight when aiming the Diopter (peep circle) to the front sight post. For low light conditions the Galil's have flip up night sights. Most Golani's came with the tritium vials drilled out or with no glow left in them. You can easily find replacement tritium night sights for your Golani/Galil online.

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
Yes Lou, but these aren't true diopters, they're peeps. And a black front sight post is far too dark especially if shooting into shadow. The goal of a gold or brass front post is to glow not shine and be visible when shooting into all common light conditions -- that's why they're most common on hunting rifles where much game is taken in low light. Heck even shooting a black bullseye gets tricky sometimes if close enough w/ a black front sight post...
Primary point being is that the color of the front sight post does not change its function; just talking about how easy it is for the eye to acquire the front sight post.

lcastillo

RSR, sorry I did not mean to offend. But I respectfully disagree with you on the peep sight. The correct term is a "occluder" and I will concede to you that you do have to peep thru the Galil's rear sight. The Galil uses a form of a sight based off the diopter sight, although it does not have a rear barrel sight as it's H&K or SIG counterparts it does have 2 occluders for 300 and 500 yard range. I also understand your theory for white paint and brass bead because they use these on competition rifles and of course with the diopter sights. Which is the preferred sight to use by marksmanship champions. For the target range or the battlefield the diopter is the quickest sight there is. I guess being a purist I am partial to keeping a Galil stock. I believe that if IMI would have seen a advantage to white paint on the front sight they would have made it a option on the Galil. Again RSR my apologies if I offend you i was just giving my opinion and it was not directed at you personally. Respectfully Lou

evnash

Man i love this rifle. shot 200+ rounds thru it this weekend. i had exactly 2 rounds that didnt fully chamber. cheap tula steel cased. So it sighted in using the 10 yard zero trick, then confirmed at 50 and 125 yards in my backyard range. Already made some modifications as well. i painted the front sight post white. much easier to pick up, especially on orange steel targets. i also cut the 500 yard sight into a V notch so i could pick up the front sight quickly for up can close shooting. I also wrapped the top of the stock in OD green paracord not only for the look but also for comfort.

evnash

worked on the mags i got with the rifle as well. Using a steel punch i was able to tap out the very front of the mags where the nose of the bullets were binding. worked great. I sanded down all three mags and refinished them. the 35 rd has spray on truck bed liner, the two 50 rd have rubberized undercoating. i prefer the feel of the bed liner but dont like that it has a bright finish. i might try some black "flex seal" from the infomercial. lol

ive got 5 more surplus mags on the way.

FELIX 808

Looking good. Too bad you cut the sight though, you could have just used the night sights for quick acquisition. But enjoy :beer

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
To be clear, wasn't offended -- apologies that came off as such.

Israelis are in the desert and the Galil was designed for open desert maneuver warfare (how Israelis fought at the time)... Black against tan works great there. Shooting from outside to inside of buildings, in a dark jungle, etc, changes things up. Yes, the night sights are a great option, but much less precise for anything beyond the night fighting CQB distances (and able to aim at muzzle flashes for area suppression at distant targets) they were designed for...

I see zero harm in paint and much prefer it. Stacking the target on the front sight post while looking through the peep is how proper sight alignment occurs and anything that allows you better see where your front sight ends and target begins is a benefit.

Galil ACE's have tritium front sight inserts which work similarly to paint...

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
Replace front NS retention spring. IMI USA had them (new old stock) in stock last I checked. Can also try bending it to increase tension, but on my golani doing so just lightly broke the spring.

evnash

Replace front NS retention spring. IMI USA had them (new old stock) in stock last I checked. Can also try bending it to increase tension, but on my golani doing so just lightly broke the spring.

its actually the rear sight that wont stay up. i did some research and it look like there is a spring and plunder underneath it. i will replace that spring to see if it helps. thanks.

RSR

UZI Talk Supporter
Odd, yes, should be an easy fix then. Could just be crud holding the plunger in place too... I would imagine, but not certain, that Century would have removed the rear sights before parkerizing the top cover, but possibly not.

evnash

Shot several mags today. The rear night sight stayed up. I think I had knocked it down when I charged the gin previously.

I also picked up several surplus mags. Some locked in very easily. Others I had to push in hard to lock. Can fix that? In the lot there was a mag marked iwi and it had a darker finish. Is that mag special ?

riderboy

UZI Talk Life Member
While not "original', the Tapco mags are excellent. The ones they make for ARs / Tavors are also some of the best polymer mags I have used & are usually priced right.
Second this, and for God's sake if you buy an AR mag adapter get one of the U/A original ones. They are expensive but they work. I've tried every other one I could find out there and theya re the only ones I use, and they really, really work.

evnash

made a matching OD sling yesterday.

next on the list is a custom kydex mag carrier similar to the ones i make for AR15 mags

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter