Our Facility

BeltFedEd

UZI Talk Life Member
Sayeret and BlackTen you guys have a nice setup :thumbs_up

About 15 years ago I started building a nice oak reloading bench but never finished it. Then I got into mg's and surplus was cheap. No need to reload, there's always cheap surplus. :rolleyes Well times have changed, and I've been Johnny come lately :snoring on stocking up on components.:cry Once I get stocked up, I would like to put a blue one on my bench.

I cringe at what the price will be, but I would love to put this one from Dillon on my bench.

stt090206.jpg

TrippHammer

My 550B and I can load 550 .9mm or .45cal w/ out a case loader.

A good War movie and a 6 pack of Diet Dr. pepper and I'm good to go for 2-3 hours.

Cowboy Shooter

jarhead jim said:
Is the 550 an auto indexing press or manual?

Jim

The 550 indexes manually.

While the SDB is a good press, I have one set up for .45acp for my 1911, I don't think I would want one for keeping a FA fed.

The 550 is much better but the 650 has an extra toolhead station which allows a powder check die to be used that checks the powder level in every charged case before the bullet seating stage and it auto indexes. Those features, and the casefeeder, led me to buy the 650 over the 550 more than ten years ago. There is a casefeeder option for the 550 now but it is still a manual index machine without the powder check.

The 650 is a expensive setup with all the bells and whistles such as the strong mount, bullet tray, roller handle and casefeeder but it's worth scrimping and saving for.

Sayeret Shaldag

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks for the continued kind words guys. The fifth station on the 650 is pretty damn sweet!! .50 BMG loader??? Sweet anyone who owns an Ma Deuce should be throwing a party.

The best case for why the Square Deal Bravo is not an economic option is two fold. Firstly your time is money! The 550 is an extra $57.00 and I can guarantee you the time savings and versatility you will get from it are well worth the difference in price.

Secondly, consider Residual Value. With the 550 one of the benfits is that there is a sizeable secondary market for them. If you have a used 550 in good shape it will sell very quickly as compared with the Squre Deal B, 650, or 1050. This is because is because the 550 sits at a great middle of the road price point, and when in used condition makes the perfect introductory machine.

In additon, the dies from your 550 are standard size and will work with a 650 if you ever choose to upgrade.

Last edited:

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
well I guess I will chime in on the Square Deal presses. I love them! First they are cheap. I bought my first one used in .45acp 18 years ago (i think) for $90. I bought my 2nd used one in 9mm about 5 years ago for $150. Second, I am not a marathon reloader. I will not sit in front of a press for anymore than an hour. Mostley I reload 100-200rds at a sitting. I do this everyday though, 7 days a week. 10-30 minutes start to finish and I am done. I have cranked thousands and thousands of rounds on these two presses. Honestly I would guess 50-60K has been loaded on the 9mm press and about 150K on the .45 press. Little crap brakes from time to time (primer tube nipples) but dillon always replaces them for free with spares.

I am not bashing the 650 ( i have 2) or the 550 ( I have 1 somewhere?) i love them both. Just do not count out the SQDB if you plan on just loading 1 caliber.

Sayeret Shaldag

UZI Talk Supporter
Great post chili. I had no idea the SDB was such a workhorse. To look at them you would not think they would hold up that long. Do you not use the 650s for making your 9mm and .45 ACP because you have them dedicated to churning out stuff for your other toys?

Dillon is great I was asking about a new powder reservoir (just the plastic part) as ours is severely tinted from years of use and they included a new one free of charge with my most recent order.

BTW can anyone recommend a cheap but quality solution for storing tool heads? The tool head stands offered by Dillon are a bit expensive.

anm2_man

UZI Talk Supporter
Sayeret Shaldag said:
Great post chili. I had no idea the SDB was such a workhorse. To look at them you would not think they would hold up that long. Do you not use the 650s for making your 9mm and .45 ACP because you have them dedicated to churning out stuff for your other toys?

Dillon is great I was asking about a new powder reservoir (just the plastic part) as ours is severely tinted from years of use and they included a new one free of charge with my most recent order.

BTW can anyone recommend a cheap but quality solution for storing tool heads? The tool head stands offered by Dillon are a bit expensive.

I came up with this idea when I was building my new reloading bench.

reloadingbench6hc4.jpg

The slides were the most expensive part, but I needed to easy get the ones in the back. They work like a charm.

The wood is real Red Oak and the stubs are turned from some cold roll stock. I do have access to a lathe, so I was able to turn them to the correct size.

The work great and are out of the way. Since the Dillon stands are about $18 each, this was really cheap.

Sayeret Shaldag

UZI Talk Supporter
Now that is nice!!! I also like how you used a sharpie to mark the back of the tool heads and plan on doing the same. That will definitely make them easier to differentiate.

Does anyone sell the stubs and if not could you make some extras? Please PM me if interested.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Sayeret Shaldag said:

I do not load any pistol stuff on the 650s. Some stuff that I only shoot 500rd or less a year of (.357/38, 44mag, 45colt) I load on the 550 or a single stage

Infidel+7.62

I would like to know how you handle the crimped primers in military brass? Does Dillon makes heavy duty de-capping pin? and How do you swage the primer pockets?

I have heard nothing but good from people who have owned Dillon presses.

MuzzleFlash

UZI Talk Life Member
Here's what you want:

http://www.dillonprecision.com/#/content/p/9/pid/25263/catid/8/Super_Swage_600
Super_Swage_600_m.jpg

I bought one after bruising my fingers trying to hold the 5.56 brass still while decrimping the primer pocket. I was using the RCBS Power Station with the crimp remover option. It's also pretty slow. Don't get me wrong, the Power Station is really handy for lots of tasks like deburring case necks and cleaning primer pockets, but don't try to use it to remove crimps or you'll get pretty sore after 500 rounds or so. Especially if you follow it up with the pocket uniformer.

The one advantage the RCBS has is that it bevels the pocket some so the primers insert a little easier.

Power Station:
p002928sq02.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter