Primer detonation while reloading

TrippHammer

I have had the entire primer tube go off and shoot like an arrow thru my roof and into my attic, but that was caused by my own mistake. I replaced the plastic primer tube stop w/ one made out of an old 440 heck screw.
I was loading the primer tube and when the dropped in I have a bad habbit of using the feed rod to place a little pressure to make sure they are seated.

Well one set off the next which set of about 20 which set off another 20 or so.

Thank god I wasn't hovering over the top or I would have been dead, I got hit in the face but thankfully I have alway's worn eye protection which saved my eye's.

I picked a few brass fragments from my cheeks and brow but no stiches where needed.

Anyay, thats totally different than youre situation but I think I know what happened.

I have noticed that not all primer cavities are the same diameter.
when you push the primer in you are shaving some of the brass from the cavity and this will then get deposited ontop of the seater.

Muliple times and all it takes is one sliver of brass thats has a sharp edge; gets on top of the seater and kaboom.

I have seen a number of primers that look like they should have gone off that have creases and sharp dents in them from brass shavings.

At least this is my theory. :silly

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
I see this is an older post, but I wonder if it is a lower quality primer... I think the press mfgrs prefer certain brands.

Never had one go off yet, but I have pressed them in sideways before... and they haven't gone off...

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
TrippHammer said:
I have had the entire primer tube go off and shoot like an arrow thru my roof and into my attic, but that was caused by my own mistake. I replaced the plastic primer tube stop w/ one made out of an old 440 heck screw.
I was loading the primer tube and when the dropped in I have a bad habbit of using the feed rod to place a little pressure to make sure they are seated.

Well one set off the next which set of about 20 which set off another 20 or so.

Thank god I wasn't hovering over the top or I would have been dead, I got hit in the face but thankfully I have alway's worn eye protection which saved my eye's.

I picked a few brass fragments from my cheeks and brow but no stiches where needed.

Anyay, thats totally different than youre situation but I think I know what happened.

I have noticed that not all primer cavities are the same diameter.
when you push the primer in you are shaving some of the brass from the cavity and this will then get deposited ontop of the seater.

Muliple times and all it takes is one sliver of brass thats has a sharp edge; gets on top of the seater and kaboom.

I have seen a number of primers that look like they should have gone off that have creases and sharp dents in them from brass shavings.

At least this is my theory. :silly

I've noticed that over the years as well and I doubt that is the cause of mine since I've cleaned the seater more frequently after the first detonation while I've never cleaned for over 10 years of reloading and never had detonation before. I've seen the same creases and dents from brass shavings you mention over the years but if you look at my pics the primers show no such markings and again, I've been cleaning the seater and checking for shavings and don't see any. Just brass "dust".

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Brian Ski said:
I see this is an older post, but I wonder if it is a lower quality primer... I think the press mfgrs prefer certain brands.

Never had one go off yet, but I have pressed them in sideways before... and they haven't gone off...

First time it happened was a Winchester primer.

nayo

FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
I wish I had this problem I cant get projectiles to load my 9mm. but I have been able to get like 5k of brass cleaned and ready to load for the day I do get projectiles

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter