Raptor Suppressor Care and Maintenance

montana_jeepn

UZI Talk Supporter
Raptor Suppressor Care and Maintenance Questions

Ok, finally picking it up on Sat. Wanted to know a few things.

1. Is there a proper way to break in a suppressor?

2. Is there any ammo I shouldn't user (i.e. Wally-world, etc)?

3. How much can I shoot it without burning it up?

4. Will a full mag dump hurt it?

5. If not, how much continuous fire can you maintain without hurting it?

6. Anything else I should know about proper use etc?

Thanks everyone in advance! I've used suppressors before, but since this one is mine I really want to take care of it. :)

M_J

Last edited:

osprey21

UZI Talk Life Member
Gemtech states that the Raptor can go at least 125,000 rounds with no ill effects. I have a mini mossad (same internals i'm told) that has taken back to back mag and drum dumps in stride. Aside from the can getting too hot to handle I've seen NO bad effects on it. Lee at LRM told me theres a brand of ammo(don't recall which) that is extremely abrasive when shot through suppressors. I always spray some aerosol lithium grease in my new cans and let them sit for a couple of hours so the grease 'sets' before firing them.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
the ammo that LRM was referring to was the cheap Walmart Winchester.
He is not the only one that told me that either.
A guy that I compete with had a suppressor built by Doug Melton for his Sterling (very nice). He used the cheap Walmart stuff and it disintegrated his baffles. He had to send his gun back to Doug to get the integral suppressor rebuilt.
Walmart is now selling the cheap white box in 147 grain now. I don't know if that is using the same abrasive powder.
Personally, I reload my subsonic and that is pretty much all my suppressors see. I use the same load Dr. Dater of Gemtech uses.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Its published in Al Paulson's suppressor book.
3.6-3.7 grains of VV 320 powder behind a 147 grain projectile.

montana_jeepn

UZI Talk Supporter
Question

Just picked up my Raptor tonight (finally!) and put it on my three lug barrel. How much play should there be when it is on there. Should it be able to wiggle up and down ever so slightly? Is this normal? Don't want to risk a baffle strike. Thanks!

M_J

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Tommygun Guy said:
Amphipian,
Would that book be SPORTING AND TACTICAL SUPPRESSORS?

Thanks
Dan

No, its "SILENCER: History and Performance" I have both volumes and I'm not sure which one has the load data. I think it is in Volume 1 but it may even be in both.

MuzzleFlash

UZI Talk Life Member
Re: Question

montana_jeepn said:
Just picked up my Raptor tonight (finally!) and put it on my three lug barrel. How much play should there be when it is on there. Should it be able to wiggle up and down ever so slightly? Is this normal? Don't want to risk a baffle strike. Thanks!

M_J
Call Kelly or Phil Dater at GT first thing Monday. Their number is (208) 939-7222. It may just be the way the mount springs on and aligns. I'm waiting for mine to transfer and don't recall it having any play when I demoed it on an Uzi barrel.

Could it be your barrel is the thing that is moving and the suppressor is actually securely aligned to it? Even then, I can't imagine why the barrel would move about in a properly built receiver with a tightened nut.

Worst case, you may have to send the barrel (I assume it's an Uzi) back to GT with the suppressor to get it checked out. I've been told GT will not warrantee the suppressor if it's used on someone else's non-factory 3 lug barrel (meaning OK on real H&K's and on 3 lugs done by Dater). Reason is they don't want to pay for someone else's alignment problem.

Be aware that they have no official stated warranty, just an unofficial one.

YMMV

montana_jeepn

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks!

After some more looking, I realized that I didn't have the barrel seated all the way correctly. *DUH* LOL After seating it correctly, the wiggle was minimal and I went ahead and took it to the range. Still haven't gotten the Semi-Feed ramp installed, so I only managed to get a couple FMJ subsonics through it, but WOW! was it quiet! I was very impressed!

Thanks for everyone's comments/advice.

M_J

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter