Reising Model 50 drum

19Steve67

I am new to UZITALK and would like to purchase a 50 round drum for my Reising Model 50 machine-gun. Also interested in purchasing 12 and 20 round magazines for my Reising. Any help or information is greatly appreciated.
Thank you!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Strangeranger

There were no factory drums for the Reising. There may be some home-made drums out there but I've never seen one. If you do find one its quality would be suspect. Original H&R 20s and 12s are getting hard to find and pretty expensive as well. Your best bet is to keep checking the obvious places: Gunbroker, Sturmgewehr, Numrich, Sarco etc. Keystone is your best source for all things Reising and they offer their own 30 round mags which are the only Reising mags in current production. If you find ant Christie 30 rounders jump on them they are scarce and precious.

r

troy at barrelxchange made a run of reising drums years ago. Bet those are the ones OP has heard about.

Strangeranger

You'd probably have to sacrifice a 12 round mag to provide the drum to magwell interface and a TSMG drum for the drum portion so I can see how that part of it could be done. Building the chain of dummies that would have to follow the live rounds would be interesting, not sure how they would interact with the Reising's lack of a bolt hold-open. I'd love to get my hands on one just to see how they solved that problem.

I strongly suspect that the mag latch is nowhere near strong enough to support the weight of a loaded drum and the mag housing may not be strong enough either. I'll stick with my Christies and accept the 30 round limit.

19Steve67

Morning: Thanks for the info. How long ago were the Christie 30 round magazines made and do you have a picture so I can see what one looked like? What would be the price range on a Christie 30 round magazine?
Thank You: Steve

b_saan

I had a barrelxchange drum that ran great, despite the speculation from someone who's never used one there were no issues with the "weight of the loaded drum".

Strangeranger

Christie mags are pretty variable in price. I snagged one at a gunshow from a guy who had no idea what it was for $30. That won't happen again in this lifetime. I just bought 5 for $110 a piece off Gunbroker and felt like I'd stolen them. I've seen them on sale for as much as $200 each. Normally they're in the $150-$175 range and they don't last long when they come on the market.

Strangeranger

b_saan,
I didn't mean to pee in your Wheaties but I know that the frequently sloppy magwell to receiver fit is the cause of many of the Reising's reliability issues. Also the early versions of the mag release are much weaker than the later one. Hanging something that weighs more than 3 times what it was designed for from one of the weakest part of the gun seems like begging for trouble. If I'm wrong it's pretty much a moot issue since the drums are pretty unobtainable at this point.

So how did they solve the issue of getting the last few rounds out of the drum? Did they just ignore it and leave the last 5 or 6 live rounds in the vertical stack between the drum proper and the bolt? Or did they fabricate a chain of dummies to push the rounds up and out? If they used the chain of dummies how did they work out the bolt interface? Did they just let it jam against the topmost dummy or did they do something to that dummy to prevent it from actually feeding after it had pushed out the last live round?

19Steve67

Afternoon: Thank you for your reply and if I can locate one I will buy it to try it in my Model 50.

19Steve67

Afternoon: Thank you for your reply. Are the Christie mags marked in anyway?

Strangeranger

There are no markings per se and a Christie looks a lot like the Keystone. Both are the same 10" length and neither have any identifying stampings. If you know what you are looking for though you can tell them apart. Look at the witness holes running down the left side of the magazine. On the Christie mags they are all round. On the Keystones the bottom most hole is square. I could find no other external differences, except the Christies work flawlessly and some of the Keystones sorta, kinda work.

b_saan

So how did they solve the issue of getting the last few rounds out of the drum? Did they just ignore it and leave the last 5 or 6 live rounds in the vertical stack between the drum proper and the bolt? Or did they fabricate a chain of dummies to push the rounds up and out? If they used the chain of dummies how did they work out the bolt interface? Did they just let it jam against the topmost dummy or did they do something to that dummy to prevent it from actually feeding after it had pushed out the last live round?

It's basically a 45 cal copy of the C&S modified suomi drums. I didn't design it, I just loaded it up and shot with it and didn't have any issues.

except the Christies work flawlessly and some of the Keystones sorta, kinda work.

Exactly, I had endless problems with the Keystones, no issues with Christies or factory mags.

19Steve67

Evening: Thank you for the link to the picture of the Reising drum built by troy Edhlund I appreciate you for the help.

Steve

19Steve67

Morning: Do you have a picture of one of the Reising Drums or know where I can locate a picture of this drum? I was contacted by a person that says he has one for sale but before I do the deal I would like to verify that what he says is a Reising drum is a Reising drum?

Thank You; Steve
eganjan@hotmail.com

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Steve I’d ask for video of it running- a quick look at google images yielded nothing, but that is the one way to be sure.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter