Remington UMC 9mm Luger 147gr FMJ Subsonic?

Hiller

"Anyone use this ammo in an uzi suppressed? Specs say 990fps. Might be higher out of 8" or 10" barrel?
An info on this ammo?

Please advise,

R/s, Hiller............................

Tommyboy

I believe it’s a flat point bullet which usually causes feed issues. Ideally you want to find a round nose projectile but they’re hard to find in subsonic loads. I think Privi Patizan makes a subsonic round nose load if you can find it.

Hiller

"I believe it’s a flat point bullet which usually causes feed issues. Ideally you want to find a round nose projectile but they’re hard to find in subsonic loads. I think Privi Patizan makes a subsonic round nose load if you can find it."

The projo has a bit of a flat but nothing like the speer, federal, magtech or most other 147gr. the remington umc has the roundest ogive i've seen in a 147 projo for the money. .28 a round delivered. These should feed fine in my uzi as it will feed most hollow points as well. My main concern with this ammo is the velocity staying subsonic in an 8" or 10" barrel. Was hoping someone here has tried this ammo. I will get a box and try it if nobody can advise me before my purchase.

Please advise,

R/s, Hiller............................

Attachments

• remington-umc-9-mm-luger-147gr-fmj-.jpg
    remington-umc-9-mm-luger-147gr-fmj-.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 0

Jack007

UZI Talk Life Member
I have had ZERO luck with any REM UMC ammo in subguns. 9mm was spotty at best in my Uzis and wouldn't even cycle my MAC in .45 ACP. YMMV

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I have had ZERO luck with any REM UMC ammo in subguns. 9mm was spotty at best in my Uzis and wouldn't even cycle my MAC in .45 ACP. YMMV
+1 sort of. IME, it is underpowered. Back in the day, Bass Pro Shops had it on sale for something like $5 for a box of 50 and I filled the car with as many cases I could fit in there....I knew it was underpowered but for that price I could use the brass and deal with it. I cut down a spare recoil spring just for this ammo to use in full size open bolt UZI and it worked fine. Was too weak for a standard spring.

Hiller

Shot a 50 round box thru an 8” barrel w/suppressor. Ammo crono’d 1030fps. Seemed to run the Uzi fine. Did have one round feed off the right side of the mag jam between the bolt and barrel nose first. So I’ll probably not be buying anymore of this stuff for the Uzi.

R/s, Hiller……….

Dirk Hawthorne

Remington UMC ammo is sooo bad that I NEVER buy it anymore.

It is comically underpowered.

Speer / CCI is good for bulk ammo.

Dirk Hawthorne

I got an "eats everything" barrel from US Barrel Shrouds and it's actually a pretty good barrel.

It eats everything and it shoots straight.

I don't think I would shoot +P+ loads in it though, the chamber is pretty huge.

That's a possible solution to the dilemma that nobody loads round nose 147s

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I've been running IMI blue tip 158 gr for years through all my Uzis. Great stuff.
You still have some???
Wideners and a few others did get some in like 8 or so years ago and I got a few cases.

I pretty much just reload my 147JRN ball. Not hard to get those projectiles and easy to maintain consistency vs factory types that may dry up like IMI 158 unless you can afford to stockpile pallets of ammo.

Jack007

UZI Talk Life Member
You still have some???
Yes. I bought several cases and I still have some. I only shoot it through suppressed guns, and honestly I don't need it THAT quiet very often. And it is QUIET. I have both the UZI brand and the Sampson brand, but only the packaging is different. It cycles both my Mini and my Micro flawlessly. As far as UMC, I literally gave away the last several hundred rounds.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I did a quick Google search and this is the IMI 158 I was talking about that came in several years ago:
https://www.ableammo.com/catalog/im...-full-metal-jacket-fmj-158-rdbx-p-158624.html
IMI9MM158.jpg

Widener's also brought in some IMI 158 gr projectiles too and I loaded them up hot with once fired brass.

Dirk Hawthorne

you know what worked great in my FA vector?

I loaded 158 grain lead semi-wadcutters into 9mm brass

there is an old Lyman manual that had 158 grain lead RN recipes for Unique powder, so I had published data to use. I seated the bullets to max OAL.

it looked really weird, but they fed and fired great. very accurate too

I'm going to try full wadcutters and see if they feed just for the heck of it

Dirk Hawthorne

I've been running IMI blue tip 158 gr for years through all my Uzis. Great stuff.

Are you suggesting the use of IMI 158 grain ammo as a solution to the flat point subsonic ammo dilemma?

maybe you are not aware, but it's more or less impossible to get now, they do not import it anymore

and it was expensive AF last time I saw it for sale.

Jack007

UZI Talk Life Member
Are you suggesting the use of IMI 158 grain ammo as a solution to the flat point subsonic ammo dilemma?
It was more to show that if 158 will run so flawlessly, a lighter load like 147 should have no issues. It's too bad the Izzys don't export/manuf the 158. Or at least no to the US apparently. It was not only great stuff, but it wasn't all that pricey. I don't understand the target market for UMC, but the stuff I gave away was run in 1911s with no issues. I should have tried it in one of my Glocks to see how it ran.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter