S&W76 MK760 Optic Mount

How would you want an optic mount attached?

• Only want a clamp type mount.

Votes: 26 78.8%
  • Studs silver soldered to the reciever.

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Drill and tap receiver.

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

BWE Firearms

UZI Talk Life Member
I have been working on an optic mount for the S&W76 MK760. The clamp type mounts have a tendency to move unless you epoxy them to the receiver.

Would people be willing to silver solder studs to the top of their receivers to screw the mount to. The studs could be removed later and the receiver refinished to put the gun back to factory specs.

The other option would be to drill and tap the receiver.

Last edited:

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
I like the idea of a clamp mount so there are no modifications to the gun, but not much good if it moves under recoil. Is there anyway to build a clamp mount that also attaches to the rear sight or sling bracket so it does not slide? And yes I realize that after using a clamp type scope mount I may have to refinish the gun anyway.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
What happened to the barrel nut rail idea?

A board member made me one for my sten. A simple idea that doesn’t scratch the gun. Want a red dot today? Swap out tour barrel shroud. Want iron sights today? Put the original shroud back on

Not as nice looking as a red dot in the middle of your gun but 0 damage to the finish and it’s gonna stay put

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
Richard,

The old M60Joe clamp mount had recessed holes for RTV silicone to "glue" the mount in place. Mine never moved...

atx762

I vote for whatever gives the lowest mount. I have an M60 Joe mount that I green loctited in place. It hasn't moved, but the loctite will be a bitch to get off. And the mount is so high, forget about cheek weld, it's more chin weld. Still, the increase in accuracy is worth it. With a red dot, I can reliably slap little plates at 50 yards.

99% of us buy class three guns to run the hell out of them. Our S&W 76's are not like old Triple Locks that lose value if they are used or scratched.

People in the MAC community seem to be at peace with modifying their guns. The rest of us may slowly drift in that direction. I've made permanent modifications to my 76 for accuracy, including putting indexing pins in the barrel shoulders, because giving the barrel a permanent index shrunk my groups from 4-5" at 25 yards to 1/2" at 25 yards. My sloppy old 76 finally shoots something like a rifle, but if you take the barrel shroud off, you'll see the gun is no longer original.

All of which is to say...I *think* I'm probably ready to modify my receiver as well, if it's to get a better mount.

Sorry for minor thread-jack...

r

my m60Joe clamp mount has been holding with a small amount of clear silicone under it for several years now.

Anders1

I have one of the m60joe mounts I purchased used from another member from this site a few years ago. I mounted it with 4 of the little adhesive pads you find at Home Depot for putting on the back of cabinet drawers so they don’t slam. Never moved for the 4-5 shooting sessions with a holosun mounted on it. Ended up taking it off cause I didn’t like how high it sat. With a higher stock I think it would be perfect.

anm2_man

UZI Talk Supporter
Since M60Joe isn't making them any more, having this in your inventory is not going to hurt. I may even be tempted to buy one ?

FAL

I voted clamp...with a bit of silicone I bet it would hold up for quite a while.

twin9553

Could you post a pic of your modification to correct the problem with barrel indexing? I currently have dimples on the barrel made with an automatic punch and use a pencil wrapped with electrical tape to hold the barrel in position while I tighten the barrel nut. The dimples allow me to index by looking through the holes in the shroud. I have thought about a modification but have been scared to attempt it.

twin9553

I vote for whatever gives the lowest mount. I have an M60 Joe mount that I green loctited in place. It hasn't moved, but the loctite will be a bitch to get off. And the mount is so high, forget about cheek weld, it's more chin weld. Still, the increase in accuracy is worth it. With a red dot, I can reliably slap little plates at 50 yards.

99% of us buy class three guns to run the hell out of them. Our S&W 76's are not like old Triple Locks that lose value if they are used or scratched.

People in the MAC community seem to be at peace with modifying their guns. The rest of us may slowly drift in that direction. I've made permanent modifications to my 76 for accuracy, including putting indexing pins in the barrel shoulders, because giving the barrel a permanent index shrunk my groups from 4-5" at 25 yards to 1/2" at 25 yards. My sloppy old 76 finally shoots something like a rifle, but if you take the barrel shroud off, you'll see the gun is no longer original.

All of which is to say...I *think* I'm probably ready to modify my receiver as well, if it's to get a better mount.

Sorry for minor thread-jack...

Could you post a pic of your modification to correct the problem with barrel indexing? I :bang have dimples on the barrel made with an automatic punch and use a pencil wrapped with electrical tape to hold the barrel in position while I tighten the barrel nut. The dimples allow me to index by looking through the holes in the shroud. I have thought about a modification but have been scared to attempt it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter