Suppressing an MK4

Buffalo12

I have a suppressor and would like to try it out on my MK4. A friend has his set up with a longer barrel which protudes out the end with a tri-lug tip. I’m assuming its a long threaded barrel with a tri-lug welded silver soldered or red lock tighten on. Boy its quiet really nice and think it speeds it up a little too, and actually improves tightening up groups. I’ll admit it does make it look stupid long, but its intended to shoot with the suppressor on or off. And when you take it off it looks pretty good with the tri-lug sticking out a little.

Curious if anyone is making a barrel or setup like this anymore?
Thanks, Aaron

pa123guns

One thing to remember is to do the threaded barrel, you will need to enlarge the muzzle of the receiver. The factory opening is not large enough to fit a threaded barrel through. That is the main reason they stopped making the barrel and few people wanted to open up the muzzle.

DINK

I did mine a while ago and the main problem now would be finding someone to make the barrel. Scott Andrey did mine and it came out beautifully, but he's dropped out of the gun parts business. In the other referenced thread, PK (Paul Krogh of Colorado) offers barrels, but that was back in 2008. He's still around and is the premier Thompson gunsmith in the country so he's a very busy guy but I would definitly check with him to see if these barrels are available somehow. His email is pkNOSPAM@gwe.net. Remove the "NOSPAM".

I had mine set up as a simple thread mount instead of a three-lug so installation was easy. The opening in the front of the receiver was opened up a minimal amount (I did it by hand with a .5" drill bit) and barely removed any metal. By eye you can't even tell it has been worked on.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
We made some a few years ago, one piece that bushing upped to .5x28 so you did not have to modify the sterling. They were not cheap as we made them from 2" blanks. Think we sold a batch of 6 for $400 each.

Buffalo12

Thanks for all your reply and info. Maybe with all the small gunsmiths and Mfg. looking for a new project, this would be a great time to revisit this.
I really want to suppress my Sterling with a quick detach. And with the advent of the semi market maybe it would bring in more interest, I don’t know but if I had a semi I’d look into it as well.
First the barrel and then to chill17, well that is a good start. Thanks, if this doesn’t work out maybe we need to take an interest poll. There is only one reason you would not want to make this small mod and that is because you haven’t yet heard how smooth and quiet it is. Oh ya its not only worth ever penny but its also a true improvement and selling feature if you ask me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter