Suppressor Question

montana_jeepn

UZI Talk Supporter
Hi. I'm about to start paperwork on a Gemtech Raptor. Is there any negatives to using this suppressor with a 3 lug, than going with the Mossad? I like the idea that I can use it on other 9mm machine guns.

What is the life of a supressor on a smg? Has anyone had them repacked/rebaffled? Does Gemtech do this for a fee? I've used .22 suppressors before, but this will be my first 9mm.

Another thought is to buy a .45 conv kit, with .45 suppressor. Can I use this can on a 9mm and would it be effectively quiet?

Also, I am also going to buy a .22 conversion kit, can I thread the barrel an use the 9mm on the .22 barrel? How quiet is this?

I know, lots of questions.:)

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!:)

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I think you are making a wise decision regarding the raptor.
I have a Gemtech MK9K and it is currently being modified for the 3 lug mount. I bought it with a thread mount and I'm getting a 3 lug mount made for it. The MK9k can be partially disassembled so I have that option.
I was reading the 2nd volume of Al Paulson's book and it is interesting that he says that for maximum suppression, he would take the MK9k over the Raptor. I really like mine as it is shorter than the Raptor but fatter.
Regarding shooting 22lr, a lot of people do it but I wouldn't since it will build up crud in your can. I think it all depends on how much 22lr you plan to put through it. I run at least 500 rounds everytime through my ciener kit. I use dedicated 22lr cans for that that can be disassembled for cleaning.
I think the raptor will last you a long time. Even if you did shoot lead through it, Gemtech could service it but I personally hate to send anything back. That is another reason I like the MK9k, it can be disassembled if you wanted to take it apart. The outer baffle core comes off and the baffles are held in position by collars that are red loctited in place. You could heat the thing up and remove the collars to completely disassemble but I don't bother. I just like being able to take it partially apart so I can see what is going on. If necessary I DO have the option of completely taking it apart.
Only problem is I've heard that Gemtech is busy doing military contracts and they were not doing the MK9k anymore. That may be just temporary - I don't know. Some fellow shooters were impressed by mine and tried calling them to get one and that is what they were told.
Regarding the .45 can: some guys I shoot SMG competitions with have the Vector can and they got a .45 one and shot 9mm through it and shot it side by side another Vector 9mm can and could tell no difference. So they came to the conclusion it is better to just get the .45 can. This was not done scientifically but that is just what they told me. It depends a lot with the baffle design. I would not call that a rule by any means. On the contrary, I am very surprised to hear those results.

Renegade

UZI Talk Supporter, , Semper Vigilo
Re: Suppressor Answer.

I wont buy any can that I can't fully disassemble, work on and clean.

montana_jeepn

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks for the advice. Raptor is on the way. Another 4 month wait! :(

This is a great site and very informative! Thanks again!

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
montana_jeepn, I've got a Raptor on the way as well. I'll be using it on my MP5 as well as my Vector Mini. Do you have a three lug barrel for your Uzi? I've got one that I'm not using and will sell it if you need one. I need to have a new one made for my Mini Uzi.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter