Thinking of selling my M10

cockednlocked45

UZI Talk Supporter
Is it worth it to transfer my gun to my dealer so it's on a form 3? Does it speed up the process? When I sell it I'm going to include all my accessories and my spot on the list for the new upper. I got a good spot. Is it worth it to sell everything seperate?

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
When do you want to sell it? It is my understanding that Form 4 transfers can take a year. So it could take a year before your dealer could transfer via Form 3. So how would you see the sale of the M10 happening?

Scott

cockednlocked45

UZI Talk Supporter
Guess I wasnt sure. I've never sold an nfa gun before. It takes a year to transfer to a dealer?

I guess I dont really care how it sells. I'm just trying to make the process quicker and more appealing to the buyer, save them a transfer tax and wait time.

komodoj

UZI Talk Life Member
Never heard of a Individual to a dealer taking a year, 3 months; five months max!!! Unless I’m reading your post wrong?

When do you want to sell it? It is my understanding that Form 4 transfers can take a year. So it could take a year before your dealer could transfer via Form 3. So how would you see the sale of the M10 happening?

Scott

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
In theory that could speed it up- my previous SOT would prep all the form 4 stuff so as soon as the item arrived and was inspected he would date it & send it out.

rybread

UZI Talk Life Member,
Never heard of a Individual to a dealer taking a year, 3 months; five months max!!! Unless I’m reading your post wrong?

I think the shut down spiked the wait time, thanks Trump! I know a guy who had an entire bowling alley shipped from Germany and it was stuck in Customs for 3+ extra months.

M10

The xfer from F4 to F3 on my M10/45 took 11 months, plus two weeks due to OOS dealer's incompetence...

That said, I will ONLY buy in-state F4 guns from now on, or F3s from out of state. The money I saved buying the gun on an F4 was negated by multiple hassles.

If you want to add a little sugar to the deal, you can offer to pay the 1st stamp. Even better, list locally and offer a $200 discount for local buyers only...Costs you the same as xfering to an SOT dealer 1st. (Plus it saves the buyer several months of waiting.)

Edit to add: I saw the same dealer selling a Texas Mac on GB last few months, and he finally unloaded it. I feel for the poor prick who has to wait for that weapon now...
I think the shut down spiked the wait time, thanks Trump! .....
I second that emotion.

Last edited:

komodoj

UZI Talk Life Member
These must be Anomalies. I help out an SOT and the last Individuals to us(Dealer) were between 3-4 months.

The xfer from F4 to F3 on my M10/45 took 11 months, plus two weeks due to OOS dealer's incompetence...

That said, I will ONLY buy in-state F4 guns from now on, or F3s from out of state. The money I saved buying the gun on an F4 was negated by multiple hassles.

If you want to add a little sugar to the deal, you can offer to pay the 1st stamp. Even better, list locally and offer a $200 discount for local buyers only...Costs you the same as xfering to an SOT dealer 1st. (Plus it saves the buyer several months of waiting.)

Edit to add: I saw the same dealer selling a Texas Mac on GB last few months, and he finally unloaded it. I feel for the poor prick who has to wait for that weapon now...

komodoj

UZI Talk Life Member
Frank at Midwest tactical buys machine guns from people all over the US(Form 4 to him) so I guarantee he’s not waiting a year to flip it. This year thing blows my mind. If it’s a year aside some weird A$$ Anomalies then there must be issues. Imho!!!

M10

Frank/MWT deals in these all day long. My seller was a part-time dealer, and didn't even know about Efile until I insisted he e-file the F3 to my SOT.

This was also the same time they changed the trust rules, so the Alphabet Gang was already backlogged several months due to a surge in silencer applications prior to the new legislation.

I almost bought from Ruben, but the F4 "deal" was too good for my internal miser to refuse. Never again will I buy from a hobbyist dealer, unless all they handle are NFA weapons.

b_saan

These must be Anomalies. I help out an SOT and the last Individuals to us(Dealer) were between 3-4 months.

Agreed, my last incoming on F4 took a little over 3.5 months, NOT including the month the ATF was shut down. I had a paper F3 incoming take a couple weeks less that was filed around the same time.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
transfer it to your dealer..this should take 2-3 months (more like 3-3.5)

this way it can be advertised as a form 3 transfer to their dealer...an Efile would be even nicer....also the buyer can have comfort knowing the gun is in the dealers hands and not yours anymore

no one wants a form 4 gun...your losing $$ and also losing 75% of the buyers

sell your extras on your own...adding them to the gun just raises the price of the gun..by having a lower price you open up your selling market to more potential buyers...the mac is a newbie cheap gun....adding more to the cost isnt going to get it sold quicker....often people dont add up the extras...or maybe they dont want your extras

for your place in line? offer it for free with the sale of the gun to make it sell faster

good luck with your sale...can i ask why your selling? i really enjoy my m10

LawBob

Is it worth it to transfer my gun to my dealer so it's on a form 3? Does it speed up the process? When I sell it I'm going to include all my accessories and my spot on the list for the new upper. I got a good spot. Is it worth it to sell everything seperate?

This doesn’t save time, except for their out of state dealer taking possession faster than if you transferred to their dealer, but only after your first transfer.

THe only benefit I see is if you’re in a small state AND potentional out of state buyers are reluctant to buy from a non dealer. At any rate, you’”” add 10-12 months before you can sell it realistically.

“Yeah it’s in process of being transferred to my dealer. In 11 months then he can f3 it to your dealer! Then you can wait 11 months”

Vs

“Ok I’ll send you the signed f4 and bill of sale, and you can submit it to the atf. When I get the approved f4 I’ll ship it to your dealer (our of state)”

Or
In state

“Ok I’ll send you the signed f4 and bill of sale, you submit it and when I get the approved f4, you can come pick up your gun”

Amend to the f4 to f3 time is 3 -4 mos per above Comments

LawBob

Agreed, my last incoming on F4 took a little over 3.5 months, NOT including the month the ATF was shut down. I had a paper F3 incoming take a couple weeks less that was filed around the same time.

A friend I walked through the f1 process he personally eFiled an SBR and it was approved in 2 weeks. Literally 2 weeks ago.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
In 3-4 months when your dealer gets it you put it up for sale

For the newbuyer he will get it to his dealer in days if efile. Plus he will have trust in you as the gun is not in your hands. It’s in a dealer hands

On a form 4 transfer I’d Expect -$1000 and few buyers
On a form 3 transfer I’d expect full price and all buyers

Local sale ? Depends on your State. I wouldn’t count on it

LawBob

By the way: I don’t think an individual can transfer to a dealer “on a form 3”.

It goes to the dealer on a f4. Then they can transfer it to another dealer on a form 3. That’s my understanding and why an out of state transfer is a 2 tax transfer- f4 to in state dealer. F3 to out of state. F4 to buyer.

When a dealer says it’s on a f3, that technically means it’s capable of being f3ed, right?

When you say transfers to the dealer are taking only 3-4 mos, it’s still a f4 but expedited bc the transferee is an SOT, correct?

Educate me further ...

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter