Top cover play

Seven Clicks Up

I'd like to remove the play in my top cover, as I want to mount a Burris red dot.
I have a top cover with the rail on it.
What's the best way to do it?
It has side to side play in the front, and in the back.

Seven Clicks Up

Maybe put it in a vice, with leather on both sides?
I wanted to bring both sides in equality, but I guess it doesn't matter that much.
Any ideas?

dgleavitt

I’ve seen JB weld and Saran Wrap mentioned. Where the JB weld takes up the gap and Saran Wrap covers the receiver so it doesn’t stick. Google it if you are interested. NEver tried it myself, if I was thinking about it, I would make sure my receiver is well oiled, in addition to Saran Wrap, to protect it from the epoxy sticking.

misterglock

UZI Talk Supporter
I posted a similar question awhile back concerning a loose top cover on my Vector Uzi and how to fix the issue. I've always wondered why there hasn't been a "how to," pictorial posted on this site illustrating exactly how to do it; great for visual learners like me. The majority of responses to my original post were to use a mallet to bend in the corners of the top cover, a little at a time, while continuing to check for fit. I found it difficult to get the bends uniform, and things got a bit crooked. Eventually, I gave up. If you have a gunsmith that lives close-by, check and see if he has a press. He might be willing to adjust the cover while you wait.

Samuel_Hoggson

I found it difficult to get the bends uniform, and things got a bit crooked.

Did mine with wood blocks and a hammer. Hardwood blocks, not soft and compressible. Need the front/rear support blocks in the same plane. Or it will twist. Helps if the blocks/frame are sitting on a level concrete surface, ie., not on your wife's living room pile carpet.

Stable is good. Next time I'll box in the supports so the support blocks stay put while I'm going at it. Then I can keep the frame, put a picture in it. Or maybe make millions selling copies. So I can buy more topcovers.

Found it best to change hammer/mallet weight - starting with less - rather than trying to use increasing amounts of force with a hammer that's too light. Once you see any movement, check fit after each whack.

Oh, definitely use a wood block between your hammer and the topcover......see 2nd paragraph.

Never thought to use a press. Cuz I'm a bear of very little brain. Hmmm.........maybe my 3 ton car jack would work.

chipster

UZI Talk Life Member
Had a welder run a bead of weld on a top cover to reduce some of the very bad play on my vector/group 45.

BWE Firearms

UZI Talk Life Member
Use a plastic hammer with the top cover on a hard level surface. Carefully bend the sides in until you get a tighter fit.

Seven Clicks Up

I put a bead of silicone sealant on both sides, front and back, covered with plastic wrap, and installed the cover on the receiver.
I know, it's temporary, but I just wanted to try.
I'll let you know how it worked out. It's still setting.
Thanks for your responses. I wanted to try this first, before I started beating the corners in.
It's got the rail on it.
I bought it from someone here. Well, the rail install. My top cover.
I didn't want to fubar it at this time,

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter