Ultimate Full Auto CMMG RDB Fixed Ejector Project

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
As some of you may know I like delayed blowback setups and have been running the CMMG RDB Guard / Banshee setups since they first came out. My friends and I have been plagued with ejector spring failures. I went to a custom fixed ejector but am leary on the longevity since the slot required will run by the cam pin hole and weaken the bolt. It works but I have already broken two bolts running them that way. The CMMG Dissent in 9mm is also the RDB system but finally has a fixed ejector but is in a proprietary upper that is a side charger and does away with the buffer tube and is no longer full auto capable. I know a lot of people hate the buffer tube but I personally love it as it allows you to fine tune by leveraging all the aftermarket buffers and springs. I personally think the shorter you go, the less smooth although some will argue the more cool you look but I don't care about that. When the CMMG RDB first came out, I wasn't really that impressed. Smoother than an un-tuned straight blowback yes but MP5 smooth - no way. Maybe 60% there. A flatwire spring and hydraulic buffer gets it like 90% there but with a nicer cyclic rate. Going to a .40SW bolt in 9mm got me to match the MP5 but at the cost of worrying if / when the bolt will break. My new hybrid setup gives me the best of both worlds. Although I'm only about 1K into each configuration but it is very promising so far.

My website has a lot detail in regards to the build list: https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=1733 .One thing I didn't add is that in Phase II, I'm using a 7.5" Odin works stainless straight blowback barrel that I converted to an RDB barrel. Post sample full auto lowers were used and Endomags. Buddy also ran it fine with a RDIAS and should work fine with a RLL with the CE mods.
Phase1-vs-Phase2-1024x531.jpg

bolt-comparison2-1024x559.jpg

CarrierExtensionComparison-1-1024x450.jpg

Phase1-RB5007-LW-Spring-1024x547.jpg

new-cam-pin-relief-1024x291.jpg

Dissent-Phase2-BCG-weight-1024x302.jpg

CE-Tests-1024x432.jpg

CE-9-A_RB5005-1024x554.jpg

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Nice! I have no idea how you came up those combos that but wow.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Nice! I have no idea how you came up those combos that but wow.
Thanks! I'm still testing the spring in the CE.
I'm still trying to wrap my head around the 15lb spring results.
I don't understand how going to the 5, then 10lb spring makes sense (goes slower) then the 15lb spring goes even faster than dead weight.
The springs I ordered have a height of .42" and I just ordered some that have a height of .66" so who knows what results they will have. I also don't know what lifespan I am going to get with them. I currently don't have anything in there to prevent them from going solid height which doesn't help the lifespan. It may be better to make a sleeve to prevent the spring to go solid height and then go to a smaller OD spring. Whatever.... just playing around right now and see how it goes.

CE-3 (dead steel weight) – 588 / 662 (LW / 556)
CE-5 (steel weight w/ 5lb spring) – 579 / 636 (LW / 556)
CE-7 (steel weight w/ 10lb spring) – 530 / 623 (LW / 556)
CE-9 (steel weight w/ 15lb spring) – 631 / 671 (LW / 556) – tested on 3/2/24

CE-4 (dead Tungsten weight) – 566 / 633 (LW / 556)
CE-6 (Tungsten weight w/ 5lb spring) – 535 / 606 (LW / 556)
CE-8 (Tungsten weight w/ 10lb spring) – 502 / 572 (LW / 556)
CE-10 (Tungsten weight w/ 15lb spring) – NA / 658 (NA / 556) – tested on 3/2/24

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
Amphibian, you are one dedicated master of the AR9mm platform! I love it. I've got to get my but out to the range...

Cortland

UZI Talk Supporter
I have a neglected RDB upper that I have never been able to get to run right in full auto. I picked up a MEAN Arms upper at the end of last year and it just works, and it works great. I'm very much inspired by Amphibian's work here though.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I have a neglected RDB upper that I have never been able to get to run right in full auto. I picked up a MEAN Arms upper at the end of last year and it just works, and it works great. I'm very much inspired by Amphibian's work here though.
I have the MEAN Arms too and really disappointed they went with the same spring loaded ejector as the original CMMG Guard / Banshee. Sure enough, I got ejection failures with the MEAN upper sporadically till it was really bad at 1K. Swapped to a new CMMG MK10 ejector spring in the MEAN and it lasted 300 rounds. (meaning around 12lbs new to around 4lbs in less than 300 rounds). So got fed up and came up with this idea of modifying the Dissent to be full auto capable. I actually tested the roller delayed MDP-9 first but before I even got a chance to make it full auto one of the rollers broke. I'm glad I didn't go down that road as getting spare parts for that platform is basically impossible. Much easier to work on the CMMG and parts are readily available.
Similar with the MEAN, I don't think they will sell you a spare trunion, barrel or BCG yet.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
Where did you get the rubber MP5SD looking hand guard? How is it attached?

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Where did you get the rubber MP5SD looking hand guard? How is it attached?
$279 direct here: https://www.broadrivertactical.com/products/brt-6612-6912e36b-0602-4abe-9978-a9b7d33e15b7
$199 on sale at AIM now: https://www.aimsurplus.com/products/bravo-river-tactical-7in-mp5sd-style-ar-handguard-black

The handguard has two brass looking studs at 6 o-clock that interface with corresponding holes in the metal sleeve that the rubber goes over. If you look closely, you can see them in the picture below.
17516-6595bbe62cd2b_1200.png

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter