Vector Drum Owners: Need a favor

javelinadave

UZI Talk Supporter
I want to make a thread on how to build your own Suomi/Uzi drum mag. I need a few measurements off of your drum magazine. If you can please P.M. me the numbers it would really help out.
Here is what I need:
On your mag I need you to put a piece of masking tape around the Uzi mag so it is flush with the bottom of the retention slot:
P1000597.jpg

P1000598.jpg

Then I need the measurements from the four corners "A", "B", "C" & "D" from the tape to where it meets the drum. Millimeters are best but I will take inches. The arrows on the pictures are showing the forward direction of the magazine.

P1000600.jpg

P1000601.jpg

Thanks for your help. I hope that we can come up with an easy method of making these things up. They shouldn't cost more than $40 in supplies plus the welding.

Ulwembu

UZI Talk Life Member
Send me your email address through PM and I'll send you a bunch of pics that helped me a lot. One of the mebers here took them for me ;)

javelinadave

UZI Talk Supporter
P.M. sent and thank you. Still hoping for some actual measurements, it's an engineer thing.

javelinadave

UZI Talk Supporter
az-morgan said:
The measurements are not that easy to make because the mag flares out to meet the drum.

Az-M
Even general measurements would be a help.
I hope somebody can step up with some numbers. I'm willing to cut up a few mags to find success.
Thanks,
Dave

az-morgan

UZI Talk Life Member
OK, these numbers are rough accounting for the complexity of the shapes involved.

A corner: 22mm
B corner: 33.5mm
C corner: 46mm
D corner: 35mm

I'll post some photos later.

Az-M

javelinadave

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks AZ-Morgan and Ulwembu,
This is turning into a fun project.
So far I have done the following:
Ground the feed lips off the Suomi mag.
Cut the Uzi mag to size.

Next I need to make the Uzi mag a single stack and weld it all together and string together a group of dummy rounds. Once this one is tested, tuned and working I will make a second one while photographing everything with a step by step guide.
On a side note, I filled up the lip-less mag with ammo and let it fly back into the ammo can. It took about a second to empty.:thumbs_up

javelinadave

UZI Talk Supporter
Had a bit of free time and spent about an hour tinkering with this. I am having trouble with the rounds passing thru the tower. Can somebody please measure (somehow) the width inside the tower?
Thanks.

az-morgan

UZI Talk Life Member
The tower is divided into two chambers. One is just dead space, one channels the rounds. The divider between them is about .08 inches thick and ground to a sharp edge on the rounds side toward the front. The feed chamber is .39 inches wide at the thickest part of the divider (the chamber widens as the divider becomes thinner toward the bullet nose.). The dead space chamber is about .245 inches wide.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Az-Morgan

Gashliquor

Banned
I'd rather have a UZI C-Mag then a Suomi for the UZI. I know your building your own. Some fool on gunbroker selling them for 365.00 and Vector still sells them for like 260.00. Either way both are not worth that kind of cash. Even the best AK47 drums that are real go for just a lil over 200.00. Another 900 UZI sales and Vector out of the UZI business!. :50_cal

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter