Weird Looking Upper

medphys

UZI Talk Life Member
The 180 upper has been put away for a bit while I catch up on some other things, so I put 'er all back together in "regular" mode.

Man, I SO love this thing suppressed!!! The 180 upper with it's long barrel doesn't lend itself to being suppressed very well.

medphys

UZI Talk Life Member
Test run with a 220 round drum.

It was loaded with Remington Golden Bullet for the first two layers that you see being fired. The third layer was CCI Minimags, and the last layer was Federal. The failures in the video were all due to poor ejection where casings got caught up in between the bolt and the upper... probably due to less than ideal spring winding (this was the first time using a 220 round drum and the first time with this drum).. This was also where the ammo transitioned from one brand to the other. The failures to cycle at the end was due to the weak Federal ammo.

Overall, I'm sure the 220 round drum would work well if more time were spent dialing it in, but that would take a lot of effort and ammo so it's best to just stick with what works best... the 165 round drum.

More testing will be done in a few weeks at the Las Vegas Valentine's Day subgun match... Details to follow.

Sorry about my crappy barn... that's my spring project ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmP57kMQPCg

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Looks very promising. Based on my limited experience with the American 180 drums, I'd stick to the 165 rounder. I thought the 220 would be a nice compromise between the small and large 275 round drums, but they did't work out for me either. Sweet Johnny lurks here but isn't a member. He's excited to see your creation and he can share some great tips on smoothing and polishing the drums for best results. I'm sure he'll bring his Norrell 10/22 which I know you'll find interesting, and perhaps his Lage .22.

I should have learned by now, but I occasionally try different ammo in my guns. The Lage M22 likes Federal far and above anything else I've tried. My M16/22 will run a dozen or more straight mags without a hiccup with CCI Minimag, but choke on anything else. I've accepted it because i prefer shooting over clearing malfunctions. I'd be happy to buy all the Federal bulk you have. Bring that lousy ammo along. ;)
There's no ammo to be found anywhere in this town.

medphys

UZI Talk Life Member
Looks very promising. Based on my limited experience with the American 180 drums, I'd stick to the 165 rounder. I thought the 220 would be a nice compromise between the small and large drums, but they did t work put for me either. Sweet Johnny lurks here but isn't a member. He's excited to see your creation and he can share some great tips on smoothing and polishing the drums for best results. I'm sure he'll bring his Norrell 10/22 which I know you'll find interesting, and perhaps his Lage .22.

I should have learned by now, but I occasionally try different ammo in my guns. The Lage M22 likes Federal far and above anything else I've tried. My M16/22 will run a dozen or more straight mags without a hiccup with CCI Minimag, but choke on anything else. I've excepted it because i prefer shooting over clearing malfunctions. I'd be happy to buy all the Federal bulk you have. Bring that lousy ammo along. ;) There's no ammo to be found anywhere in this town.

I have no more Federal, so you're out of luck, but I'll bring as much RGB with me as I can. Please ask your friends to bring some too. The more the merrier. Also bring a file in case it doesn't quite fit in your upper so I can make modifications "on the fly."

Yeah, these kits can be a bit finicky. In the factory Lage configuration, mine will run just about anything, but prefers RGB with the reduced power recoil spring. It runs Federal almost as well with a reduced power recoil spring, but with about 1/2" cut off. I now have different springs in a zip lock bag so I can pick and choose the right one depending on the ammo. I also run that kit suppressed.

The 180 upper loves RGB and 36gr CCI minimags, but hates Federal. I have not tried Federal with a shorter spring though... nor is it suppressed. It uses a MAX-11/22 length barrel.

The 165 round drum is loaded and I'm going to try and sight it in tomorrow.

Unfortunately, the lack of ammo is really hampering things. All this panic buying has put a halt to any more significant testing. I'm also at a standstill for a V2.0 of the upper. No reason to build if there's no way to test it. I have most of the parts to do two more uppers and have passed the details on to a good friend and another manufacturer. I'm sure between the three of us, this could come to market, but without ammo... :dunno

medphys

UZI Talk Life Member
Next step is to shorten the upper and barrel and get it threaded for my Spectre II, when it gets here ;)

DSCN3940.jpg

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
?...Please ask your friends to bring some too. The more the merrier....

Unfortunately, the lack of ammo is really hampering things. All this panic buying has put a halt to any more significant testing. I'm also at a standstill for a V2.0 of the upper. No reason to build if there's no way to test it...
I'm not sure what the willingness to provide ammo for beta testing your upper will be when they have their own buzz guns to feed.

Check out the prices on this local .22 ammo... it sold in less than ten minutes. Stupid, but it's what we're dealing with here.
http://www.nevadashooters.com/showt...www.nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=37383

Most subgun gunners have a decent supply of most ammo set back, but no one knows when the ready availability will return or what the prices will be. Fear of the unknown is driving the market. I was in WalMart yesterday and the only ammo available was three boxes of .243, four boxes of .30-'06, three boxes of .22WMR, a d a half dozen or so boxes of 20 and 410 gauge shot shells.
*Is everyone's local ammo supply like this?

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Glad to have crates of 7.63x54r, 7.5x55 Swiss and 8mm so I can shoot a few rifles until I'm plenty sore. I'm not too bad on 5.56, 7.63x39, but i'm down to about 1k of 7.62 and I've got in on a CMP order of 500 more rounds of .30'-06. I'm just screwed on .45acp and with the Lage.22LR conversion, well, what .22 I have won't last long.

When supplies come back, I'm ordering everything I need to start reloading several calibers this year. I'm considering buying a pair of loaded 650s. The wife is seriously on my ass to get started regardless of the cost.
I'm calling BS... You don't own a bow and arrow. ;)

H

hotbrass

Not surprisingly archery equipment is selling quite well also. No empty shelves but the industry seems to be having a good season.

I did stock up on reloading components over the last four years. And as predicted, components are scarce again. As long as the brass holds up, I am good for a couple of years.

Hopefully things will get sorted out, one way or another, and things will get back to normal by fall.

9mmsubgun-m11

UZI Talk Life Member
Where is all the 22lr? With millions of rounds produced each year,where is it going? Vegas baby,I do have a bow and arrow that will need a new string. I could start practicing with my sling shot as well.;)

billsail

UZI Talk Life Member
When supplies come back, I'm ordering everything I need to start reloading several calibers this year. I'm considering buying a pair of loaded 650s. The wife is seriously on my ass to get started regardless of the cost.

I've never met Mrs. Vegas, but she sounds like a wonderful lady. Well done sir! :bow

Last edited:

Smicha6551

.22 will eventually catch up with demand, there's only so much panic stockpiling that can happen and already I'm hearing reports (and seeing for myself) that the crazily priced items at gunshows are sitting, not selling. Just wait for a few CC bills to come due and watch as plenty of recently bought stuff floods the market.

Anyway, I'd be all over one of these uppers - 71 rounds of 9mm is nice but 165 rounds of .22 would be fantastic!

DistalRadius

Heh, thats funny, I've been seriously considering picking up a bow just so I can do some kind of shooting. I've got a decent ammo stockpile but I'm sure as hell not using any of it until I know for certain that I can restock.

Ugh. Sign of the times.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter