Where are all the .45 MAC-10s ??

Better than the stock market.....

One of the first things I learned in investing is that Past Performance Doesn't Indicate Future Returns.
Just because firearms have historically been better than stocks means absolutely nothing.

Firearms don't pay interest or dividends and could, under certain conditions, become worthless at the stroke of a politicians pen.

Invest in Real Estate, Gold, Stocks or Bonds, not firearms.

Last edited:

bac0nfat

I wouldn't put machine guns on the top of my investment list, but I don't think it's a bad idea to include in a well diversified portfolio. ALL investments have a certain degree of risk, and usually it's the riskiest ones that can result in the largest gains. A small percentage of your portfolio should have room for those types of investments.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Five years to hit five grand seems like a stretch to me. I've already seen a few *BEAT* guns with no accessories/extras sell locally for $4000-4500; seems insane to me, given that less than a year ago I got a NIB M11/9 for $2500 along with a pile of new mags but it is what it is.
Re-read my post. "I'll bet they'll easily hit five grand in less five years for a well used example." Given your examples, that's a 2k spread in price in less than a year. There are always deals to be had just as there are always grossly over priced guns. So tell me, what's the "real" price of a MAC? I suspect we'll need to get past this election year cycle before prices stabilize and you can say with some certainty that a M10 or M11 is worth xxxx.

Never buy NFA as an investment
Wise words. I've never subscribed to the NFA as an investment mantra. Like Chili17, I've made a buck or three selling a gun or two over the years, and I expect we'll continue to see prices move higher and hopefully we'll ALL continue to make a couple of dollars. Buy a machine gun because you can afford it, and you'll enjoy owning and shooting it. Appreciation is a bonus but don't expect it.

Along with the real estate boom and bust cycle, we also saw a machine gun price decline. Yep, prices are on their way back up after the NFA market bubble burst, but the days of over night skyrocketing prices are probably over. A diversified portfolio to include a mixture of stocks is prudent. Look, I'm not the smartest guy on this forum and that's why I pay 1.25% to my financial advisor each month. He does believe in a portfolio that's comprised of limited real assets, (gold, real estate, etc.), in addition to fixed income and equities. Guns may be considered a real asset by some if they are high quality/collectibles.

Consider that new Federal legislation can make your "investment" a worthless paperweight overnight. What legitimate purpose does a machine gun really have in today's modern and liberal leaning society? I suspect we'll see some form of Canadian style legislation passed here in the states one day. When that happens, you'll be able to keep what you own but you can never transfer it and the gun must be surrendered to the government upon your death. Perhaps the price of ammo and reloading components will go sky high as a result of an onerous new federal tax designed to limit all shooting.

Four years ago we saw what fear generated by a presidential election can do to the firearms market. The resulting shortages of most guns, mags, ammo and accessories was unprecedented. It's clear demand is sharply up again in this election year, but it's nowhere near what we saw in 2008. Obama was named gun salesman of the year for good reason, and he may be awarded that honor again this year.

I don't want to come off sounding so negative with the gloom and doom predictions. I expect any new legislation to limit or restrict full auto ownership is many years away, but it is a real possibility. Look at the disarming of the rest of the world for a clue as to the direction this country could be heading. Does anyone not remember the "bitter clinger" remarks four years ago? If this election goes badly, I expect Obama will attempt to pass AWB-2 without a sunset clause.

The 2012 end of the world phenomenon theorists who are also "prepping" and that's driving prices too. Anyone remember the Y2K "crisis"? I sold a beat up Russian SKS to a gun shop for $400 and they tacked on another one hundred and sold it in a day. Never underestimate what fear can do to a market.

My two cents and worth exactly what you paid for it. YMMV

Re-read my post. "I'll bet they'll easily hit five grand in less five years for a well used example." Given your examples, that's a 2k spread in price in less than a year. There are always deals to be had just as there are always grossly over priced guns. So tell me, what's the "real" price of a MAC? I suspect we'll need to get past this election year cycle before prices stabilize and you can say with some certainty that a M10 or M11 is worth xxxx.

Wise words. I've never subscribed to the NFA as an investment mantra. Like Chili17, I've made a buck or three selling a gun or two over the years, and I expect we'll continue to see prices move higher and hopefully we'll ALL continue to make a couple of dollars. Buy a machine gun because you can afford it, and you'll enjoy owning and shooting it. Appreciation is a bonus but don't expect it.

Along with the real estate boom and bust cycle, we also saw a machine gun price decline. Yep, prices are on their way back up after the NFA market bubble burst, but the days of over night skyrocketing prices are probably over. A diversified portfolio to include a mixture of stocks is prudent. Look, I'm not the smartest guy on this forum and that's why I pay 1.25% to my financial advisor each month. He does believe in a portfolio that's comprised of limited real assets, (gold, real estate, etc.), in addition to fixed income and equities. Guns may be considered a real asset by some if they are high quality/collectibles.

Consider that new Federal legislation can make your "investment" a worthless paperweight overnight. What legitimate purpose does a machine gun really have in today's modern and liberal leaning society? I suspect we'll see some form of Canadian style legislation passed here in the states one day. When that happens, you'll be able to keep what you own but you can never transfer it and the gun must be surrendered to the government upon your death. Perhaps the price of ammo and reloading components will go sky high as a result of an onerous new federal tax designed to limit all shooting.

Four years ago we saw what fear generated by a presidential election can do to the firearms market. The resulting shortages of most guns, mags, ammo and accessories was unprecedented. It's clear demand is sharply up again in this election year, but it's nowhere near what we saw in 2008. Obama was named gun salesman of the year for good reason, and he may be awarded that honor again this year.

I don't want to come off sounding so negative with the gloom and doom predictions. I expect any new legislation to limit or restrict full auto ownership is many years away, but it is a real possibility. Look at the disarming of the rest of the world for a clue as to the direction this country could be heading. Does anyone not remember the "bitter clinger" remarks four years ago? If this election goes badly, I expect Obama will attempt to pass AWB-2 without a sunset clause.

The 2012 end of the world phenomenon theorists who are also "prepping" and that's driving prices too. Anyone remember the Y2K "crisis"? I sold a beat up Russian SKS to a gun shop for $400 and they tacked on another one hundred and sold it in a day. Never underestimate what fear can do to a market.

Well said!:thumbs_up

Dolphinvet

I do invest in these guns because I like them, however, I would not give them up just because some communist in the white house thinks he can ban them with a stroke of the pen. He might try to do his "rule by decree" and ban them, but that doesn't mean that I will surrender them. These guns will continue to see fluctuations in the market as you said, but they aren't losers as investments, unlike my stocks I had a few years back.

DistalRadius

I do invest in these guns because I like them, however, I would not give them up just because some communist in the white house thinks he can ban them with a stroke of the pen. He might try to do his "rule by decree" and ban them, but that doesn't mean that I will surrender them. These guns will continue to see fluctuations in the market as you said, but they aren't losers as investments, unlike my stocks I had a few years back.

I hear what you're saying, but I think the point was that if future MG transfers are made illegal then you have no way to recoup your investment. Nobody has to confiscate/surrender anything for that to happen.

Dolphinvet

I hear what you're saying, but I think the point was that if future MG transfers are made illegal then you have no way to recoup your investment. Nobody has to confiscate/surrender anything for that to happen.

Point taken. I just don't see the current administrations motives as that benign, if you can call it that.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
I do invest in these guns because I like them, however, I would not give them up just because some communist in the white house thinks he can ban them with a stroke of the pen. He might try to do his "rule by decree" and ban them, but that doesn't mean that I will surrender them.
I salute you're resolve sir. Despite the Internet bravado we often read, I'll bet there aren't many of us who would actually resist an armed Uncle Sugar knocking and asking for our guns. Again, look at countries like Canada and Australia for a potential glimpse into our future. Our loss of select classes of firearms will likely be incremental with evil assault rifles and high cap mags leading the way. The government would love to have ALL gun transfers subject to the same restrictions as current NFA items. I suspect in less than a hundred years we'll see confiscation through registration. We do own registered and transferable guns, right?

IMHO, a single trained rifleman is more of a threat than a guy with a subgun anyway.

These guns will continue to see fluctuations in the market as you said, but they aren't losers as investments, unlike my stocks I had a few years back.
The money I lost in the market has been recovered because I hung tight. Real estate is another matter entirely and I'll never recoup that lost money. Heck, I could have easily bought a transferable Minigun with what I've lost.

I consider machineguns toys rather than tools. You should enjoy life and a man needs his toys. I have my fair share but I can afford to lose them if that's what life throws at me. When an economy tanks, toys lose their luster and prices fall. Are we headed for an economic cliff? I can't say, but I do know those who fail to plan should plan to fail. Buy 'em because you can afford to and because they make you happy.

That was *exactly* my point and in my mind the most likely way for the government to get rid of the registered machineguns with the least amount of resistance.

thompson4433

wow are you guys ever gloomy

you know what made MG prices dip? a vast global contraction of the money supply. that would make the price of anything dip

machine gun prices are currently rising quickly in the face of a massive recession and almost a depression

and all you can think about is how much you might lose. I find that kind of weird.

Me? I just plain old don't care.

either MGs will be a great investment or I'll be 'stuck with" my investment for life.

either way i'm happy

Sid T.

UZI Talk Life Member
The laws of supply and demand are still functioning so the prices of machine guns will continue to increase.
Unless, as Vegas points out, the supply side part of the equation is changed, but unless human nature changes, the demand side will be there.

Will it happen? Probably, but when? Until then, and compared with most other investments, they're a darned good bet and that's still not counting the interim fun factor.

My main motivation is that I like my toys and hopefully my grandson will get to play too.
I'm therefore doing what I can for now, to move things in the desired direction by buying what I can with available resources, so yeah, I'm part of the price increase problem.

BlackBelt

UZI Talk Life Member
I know 2 guys that funded their retirements mainly with their mg collections. It worked out for them, but I wouldnt do that. Years ago i had an investment trader buddy who paid for a vacation for me because i clued him in on a stash of registered hk sears. He bought low and sold high.
While transfers have always had the possibility of being stopped or made prohibitively expensive, i dont consider them as investments to be any more risky than most other things on the market. Anything can change. Theres even a possibility of any financial gain you acquire to be redistributed by government to those who dont have anything in order to "give everyone a fair shot".

Dolphinvet

wow are you guys ever gloomy

you know what made MG prices dip? a vast global contraction of the money supply. that would make the price of anything dip

machine gun prices are currently rising quickly in the face of a massive recession and almost a depression

and all you can think about is how much you might lose. I find that kind of weird.

Me? I just plain old don't care.

either MGs will be a great investment or I'll be 'stuck with" my investment for life.

either way i'm happy

Actually that's not my point at all. I'm far less concerned what I would lose financially than the loss of my liberty and freedom. A politician who so casually would look at free speech as negotiable certainly would have no qualms at crushing our 2nd amendment rights as well. Democracies are fragile, and with 3rd world hell holes calling for restrictions on our freedoms, to bow down to their demands and a president so very willing to give in at every turn to those demands, the appeaser that he is, I do very much worry how long our freedoms will be intact. Sorry I did not wish to make this a political rant.

macshooter

Ruben had quite a few M10s about this time a year ago. NIB and used. I managed to snag one. Things look like they've dried up now.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
D&D had some NIB JAWs .45acp guns up until two weeks ago. If you really want one, I'd contact them and see if they have one left. I know they're getting close to the end of the NIB SWD completed MAC-10 9mm guns.

http://www.dndguns.com/m109.htm

mac10-9nib.gif

root

UZI Talk Supporter
WOW AT THE PRICE INCREASE.

When I bought mine it came with everything for both 9mm and 45 acp
Had already been to Sam @ PS and got the can for it with a WTB

total cost after taxes ( all 6 of them can was NIB out of state F4) 2600.00 bux.

Are NIB M/10's with no extras really worth 4K$ ?
Not being a smart ass but I haven't been following the prices on them since I'm not in the market for another one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter