Wise Lite Sterling Firing Pins (?)

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
I had a carbine once snapped the firing pin. I made a new one on the lathe and eventually sold it. Later on I found the broken one and had an ar15 one in hand… looked like a dead ringer. Not sure why I didn’t notice this at the time… lol. Oops. I think mine was built by wiselite as well… worth a shot anyhow

OldBesty

Wise Lite Sterling Sporters were made from L2A3 kits. I understand Wise Lite machined their own SA (MK6 style) pins, and some of the runs were prone to breaking due to inadequate heat treatment.

The firingpins.com options should work without any modification being necessary. Remove the tang if and when the current firing pin finally fails, and install the tang to the new firing pin. Should be a 5/64 roll pin if memory serves me; file down excess. Carrying the extra pin, roll pin(s), and needed tools in range bag will save frustration of a wasted trip to the range.

Last edited:

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
I’d be real curious if it wasn’t an ar15 one with the hammer nub removed and a hole drilled in it…. But for 23 bucks… can’t argue with that

kanewtervalve

UZI Talk Life Member
I got a couple spare, found the tangs somewhere too but I don't remember who had them, but I have to ready to drop in if the need arises. I also bought a spare trigger group, mod is real
easy with a dremel to use in the semi.

Now I remember where I got the tangs, a member on this board that I won't name because I don't have his approval.

Last edited:
Wise lite claimed the issue was due to heat treat on the pins but that isn't the case in my experience.

I have converted 38 mk4 bolts to semi auto and reworked a number of wiselite bolts as well.

We make our own striker assemblies in house and I have only ever broken 1 firing pin. In my case, it was due to the tip diameter being too large.

Most wiselite pins fail because the hole in the bolt face is not concentric with the striker channel.

Another common issue is surface roughness in the striker channel. Wiselite drilled them right to size with a standard twist drill leaving behind a rough surface finish which causes a lot of drag on the striker assembly. We drill the channel undersize, bore them to finish diameter with a 3/8 endmill and then finish them with a dingle ball hone. This ensures the striker will glide through the channel with the least resistance.

Wiselite did what was necessary to meet the goal for production cost of a $400 carbine. From that perspective, they did quite well. From the perspective of an owner who enjoys shooting one of these now expensive and collectible weapons, it can be quite frustrating.

OldBesty

Wise lite claimed the issue was due to heat treat on the pins but that isn't the case in my experience.

I have converted 38 mk4 bolts to semi auto and reworked a number of wiselite bolts as well.

We make our own striker assemblies in house and I have only ever broken 1 firing pin. In my case, it was due to the tip diameter being too large.

Most wiselite pins fail because the hole in the bolt face is not concentric with the striker channel.

Another common issue is surface roughness in the striker channel. Wiselite drilled them right to size with a standard twist drill leaving behind a rough surface finish which causes a lot of drag on the striker assembly. We drill the channel undersize, bore them to finish diameter with a 3/8 endmill and then finish them with a dingle ball hone. This ensures the striker will glide through the channel with the least resistance.

Wiselite did what was necessary to meet the goal for production cost of a $400 carbine. From that perspective, they did quite well. From the perspective of an owner who enjoys shooting one of these now expensive and collectible weapons, it can be quite frustrating.

seen your vids. really nice work

Starvingboy

Where could one find one of these very-nicely machined bolts, if one were so inclined?

OldBesty

Any good reason to go with titanium over stainless?

No.

H900 17-4 Stainless Steel Properties
Tensile Strength: 190,000 PSI
Hardness Rockwell: C40

Titanium Properties
Tensile Strength: 140,000 PSI (up to 170,000 PSI if aged, solution treated)
Hardness Rockwell: C33

I apologize for my slow reply. I usually check this Sterling forum once or twice a week.

Thank you for the kind words OldBesty and jimdoc!

Where could one find one of these very-nicely machined bolts, if one were so inclined?

You can inquire through email if you'd like. My email address should be on my profile page. I try to avoid posting it openly due to spam.

I am a vendor on Weaponsguild. It's where I do the most business; sort of my "internet home" if you will.

The link jimdoc shared goes directly to my Sterling parts page.

This is my home page where you'll find all currently available and upcoming products.
https://weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?board=438.0

Below is my (pic heavy) detailed build thread of the Sterling carbine shown in my YouTube videos. It contains info on barrel differences, denial bars, how to modify a trigger pack for semi auto and other useful tips & tricks.
https://weaponsguild.com/forum/index.php?topic=77975.0

snakebitten

Please send me a quote (email or pm) on reworking my Wiselite bolt, thank you!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter