5.45 x 39 uppers ?

rats25

I have been using a 14.5" 5.45 upper for several months. Got it used but I think it is an Alexander Arms barrel. Initially it had problems with bolt bounce but both the Enindine and AAC buffers fixed it right away. Runs good with Wolf, Barnual and Bulgarian surplus. Found that the blued steel Asian 30 rd M16 mags feed flawlessly and will hold 23-25 rounds. Bought 3 C-products 6.5 Grendel mags to try but they don't work very well. One of them won't even go into the magwell. That was a waste of money.

HKjay223

UZI Talk Supporter
Is the barrel in your AA upper chrome lined?[/QUOTE]

The AA barrel is Stainless. I rechambered all my rounds that had light hammer strikes and they fired the second time.

rats25

It is not chrome lined.
Yes, the light hits do fire the 2nd time and occurs only in full auto. The bolt bounce does not cause any light strikes in semi, just interupts your burst. With the AAC or Enindine buffer the light strikes are eliminated. Runs 100%.

ranger55

I have one of the Alexander Arms barrels and a .223 bolt that was opened up for the 5.45 round. I have one US GI Mag with the black follower that works well with 20 rounds, not much luck with the others I have tried. Mine seems to run better with the ligher buffer also, need to experminte with that more. A 20 round mag dump does not take long.
The H&K mags will not feed the first round, huge waste of money for me. Sounds like I need to try the Asain contract mags. Anyone know where they can be odered from? Corrosvie ammo is no problem with the SS barrel.
I saw a post from the 08 shot show where some one said they talked with AA and where told they would be making the barrels/Uppers again. And was suposed to investigate high capacity mags ? Take that for what is worth as third hand information.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Hope to try this out this weekend.

Last time I took it out, I determined I wasn't getting enough FP protrusion just like what happens trying to shoot steel cased 7.62x39 ammo through the AR platform. (which is easily corrected by removing a little of the back of the bolt).
After not having much success with the USGI mags or HK mags, I pulled out my old AR-47 lower I don't use anymore since I now use the MGI AK magwell.
I took a look at how much work it would be to mod it for 74 mags. To my surprise a 30 round Russian 74 mag went right in with no mods. It was just a tad high as the tab on the 74 mags are lower than on the 47 mags.
I also have another mag that will work in a standard AR lower that handcycles fine w/ 27 rounds in it. I plan to try that out also but most likely the AR47 lower looks like the way to go until MGI can get their 74 magwell available for MGI lower owners.
On the AR47 lower, I removed a little bit off the catch and everything is hand cycling fine.
Just need to actually shoot it now.

Also plan on trying my Ares GSR kit with it also.

The mag inserted in the pic below is the new Bulgarian 45 round 5.45 mag.

11.5-5.45-ar47.jpg

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter