Best pistol for subsonic .22 suppressed?

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Looking at the
  • Ruger Mark IV 22/45 lite
  • Threaded Buckmark

I am hoping to hear if y'all have success running either pistol with suppressed subs. If you have other ideas I'm open to those too.

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
Keep the barrel under about 4 inches.

Even shorter will garuntee subsonic with bulk pack

cajun 22

UZI Talk Life Member
4.5 inches is the magic number to keep all ammo subsonic. I have a Ruger MKIII threaded at this length with 20K rounds through it and no problems. My favorite is CCI standard velocity. The good thing is you are not stuck shooting only subsonic ammo. Bulk pack stays subsonic and cheap to shoot. Waiting on a second .22 can now and my next host will be a MKIV.

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
i use the ruger 22/45 lite

love it....put a RMMR on it, part of a trigger kit (you dont need the whole kit-1 part does 90% of the improvement--dont spend $150 on the whole kit..if you research you find its like a $25-50 part to fix it), sparrow 22, and a ring thingy for pulling the slide back.....kids love it...awesome gun....shooting it today!....i use cheap 25 year old UMC .22lr...if you wanted you wouldnt need headphones....

with a short barrel im not sure your getting any extra noise reduction over standard ammo.....i use this ammo with a 22 rifle and sparrow and i get 0 noise reduction...but in a short barrel its perfect....if your ammo costs extra it may not give you extra benefit....

get the ruger....i had a walther p22 and sold it..i was not happy with how it felt or worked....
5tqsKsw.jpg

Last edited:

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
The Buckmark’s slide has a loud metallic clink sound that’s much louder than the Ruger’s action sound.

I have a mk3 22/45lite with a volquartsen trigger/sear package and a red dot. With my Spectre2 it would be the last stamp/combo I’d let go. It’s my favorite.

In the near future I’m planning to swap the red dot for a pistol scope and reach out a little farther for kicks.

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter
4.5 inches is the magic number to keep all ammo subsonic. I have a Ruger MKIII threaded at this length with 20K rounds through it and no problems. My favorite is CCI standard velocity. The good thing is you are not stuck shooting only subsonic ammo. Bulk pack stays subsonic and cheap to shoot. Waiting on a second .22 can now and my next host will be a MKIV.

I have a 4.5 in mk2 that won't stay subsonic with Bulk pack. But a had a 3.2in? Walther that was always subsonic no matter what ammo I used fwiw

HighriseATX

UZI Talk Life Member
I too sold my Walther P22. I never had a mechanical problem and it was very quiet with a silencer, but it was never consistent accuracy wise for any shooter. I have a 22/45 lite mkIII and it is a great gun. Use it with an Element 2 silencer. Never shot a Buckmark.

cajun 22

UZI Talk Life Member
I have a 4.5 in mk2 that won't stay subsonic with Bulk pack. But a had a 3.2in? Walther that was always subsonic no matter what ammo I used fwiw

Maybe your altitude in Wisconsin but in the deep south I have never had any round of any brand go supersonic.

Mackjack

UZI Talk Supporter

Maybe your altitude in Wisconsin but in the deep south I have never had any round of any brand go supersonic.

Very possible. I just know firing off my 4.5 inch mk2 across a feild about 7 to 8 of the bullets would crack and the other 2 or 3 very clearly would not. All at random. Not nessecary the first or last rounds..... I think it is just right there on the edge. Also many different brands of ammo have been tried.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
My 22/45 lite stays sub with pretty much anything except hypervelocity.

I use Federal Auto Match almost exclusively as it functions nice in all my .22s.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Of the two you listed, I like the ruger better.

Best? i like the smith 41, Beretta 87, Beretta 948, walther ppk

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I have 3 Ruger Mks. I like them because they last.

I did have the new S&W M&P Compact 22. I liked it. Cheap, reliable, easy to clean and accurate.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Nobody has said it but the Beretta model 71 best of the best

That needs a crap ton of custom work in order to mount a silencer to it, and then you can't see the sights over it nor add a red dot.

So to me it's a sports car with a dead battery, flat tire, and blown head gasket. I can't wait to buy it.

Captain murrica

UZI Talk Supporter
My m&p 22 sounds great with aguila or Gemtech subs. 12 round mags are nice too. If I were picking from the two you listed I’d go with the Ruger, buckmark has always looked fugly to me. In reality is there a bad choice for shooting suppressed 22, I’ve never not enjoyed it:)

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
i use the ruger 22/45 lite

love it....put a RMMR on it, part of a trigger kit (you dont need the whole kit-1 part does 90% of the improvement--dont spend $150 on the whole kit..if you research you find its like a $25-50 part to fix it), sparrow 22, and a ring thingy for pulling the slide back.....kids love it...awesome gun....shooting it today!....i use cheap 25 year old UMC .22lr...if you wanted you wouldnt need headphones....

with a short barrel im not sure your getting any extra noise reduction over standard ammo.....i use this ammo with a 22 rifle and sparrow and i get 0 noise reduction...but in a short barrel its perfect....if your ammo costs extra it may not give you extra benefit....

get the ruger....i had a walther p22 and sold it..i was not happy with how it felt or worked....
5tqsKsw.jpg

So what is the part?

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks for all the replies. Am I reading this right that most of you are saying standard ammo is subsonic with a 4.5" barrel?

ig720

I have 3 Ruger Mks. I like them because they last.

I did have the new S&W M&P Compact 22. I liked it. Cheap, reliable, easy to clean and accurate.

I've got one and couldn't be happier with the results

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter