Does anyone have a suppressed .22 rifle???

montana_jeepn

UZI Talk Supporter
And how quiet is it?

What ammo do you use?

I just picked up a Ruger 77/22 .22 bolt action made by Quicksilver Manufacturing in Twin Falls, ID. It just seemed awfully loud. I was told regular velocity worked the best and was quietest in these rifles. When I get back to PA I plan on trying some different brands, but I thought I would ask here first. Thanks!

M_J

Renegade

UZI Talk Supporter, , Semper Vigilo
I have a John's Guns 10/22. It is as quiet as anything. I use Remington Sub-Sonic.

tony k

FFL/C&R
How long is the rifled section of the barrel?

My Mossberg (see pic, with Outback) was cut to 16" and I had a lot of trouble finding ammo which would stay subsonic -- most standard-velocity rounds still had that "crack!"

I finally settled on Remington Subsonic (SUB22HP) and, even quieter, PMC Moderator, also a 38-grain hollowpoint. The moderator is a light load and is not strong enough to reliably work a 10/22 with a muzzle can, but boy! is it quiet in a bolt gun.

If your 77/22 has a ported barrel, you should check with the manufacturer for his recommendations -- some makers say use of subsonics will void the warranty.

HTH.

014533.gif

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
I have a 96/22 lever action. It was made by a Jerry Kindred. Anyone know him let me know. I got it new. My dealer had it. (who is since long gone) It will fire anything but Stingers. (They crack.) It has a full length intragral suppressor. Never had it apart so I can't tell barrel length or where porting starts. It is extremely quiet. It is quieter than an air rifle. Just don't hit anything solid, like a piece of sheet metal.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
.22 suppressors

I've used a Bowers CAC.22 on a romanian .22 trainer and it was very quiet. Just a tiny bit louder than the firing pin hitting with subsonic ammo.

Any decent suppressor will be about firing pin quiet on a manual rifle. This does not apply to your question, but you can tell how good a .22 suppressor is by shooting it on a pistol as apposed to a rifle. Obviosley this is with a muzzel can.

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
tony k said:
How long is the rifled section of the barrel?

If your 77/22 has a ported barrel, you should check with the manufacturer for his recommendations -- some makers say use of subsonics will void the warranty.

HTH.

What is wrong with the subsonics?? Got me curious!!

tony k

FFL/C&R
Brian Ski said:
What is wrong with the subsonics?? Got me curious!!

A ported barrel slows down supersonic ammo to subsonic levels. In some applications, using already-subsonic ammo in a ported barrel will slow the bullet enough to destabilize it and lead to baffle strikes.

This problem arose on some subguns with ported barrels, but some 10/22 manufacturers list the same warning. That's why I always check with the maker first.

Gun Shot

UZI Talk Supporter, FFL/C&R
A ported barrel slows down supersonic ammo to subsonic levels. In some applications, using already-subsonic ammo in a ported barrel will slow the bullet enough to destabilize it and lead to baffle strikes.

Wow, good info Tony, thank you.

UZI SBR AWC

I use a 10/22 with a 18" barrel, and a "MOUT" screwed on the end. Requires sub-sonic to be the quietest, I use CCI Std Velocity, gun function fine. If I use Hi-Velocity, the blast is gone, but sonic bullet flight noise is noisey.
fc681ad7.jpg

frisco

UZI Talk Supporter
Here are two movie clips of my suppressed .22 The setup is a 4" barrel with Warrior suppressor, Oly FIRSH handguards and Eotech.

The first is high-velocity ammo single fire through a warrior can.

move clip (480kb)

The second is Aguila SSS ammo through the same setup. If you turn the volume up, you can hear the rounds impact 100+ yds down range.

movie clip (480kb)

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
tony k said:

This problem arose on some subguns with ported barrels, but some 10/22 manufacturers list the same warning. That's why I always check with the maker first.

Wow, Never thought about that. Got me wanting to pick up some subsonics and grab my chrony.

Interesting question, How slow can a bullet travel and remain stabilized??

tony k

FFL/C&R
Hint: If it falls to the ground less than 10 feet in front of you, that's too slow.

Brian Ski

UZI Talk Life Member
tony k said:
Hint: If it falls to the ground less than 10 feet in front of you, that's too slow.

But did it tumble? Or remain parallel to the barrel??

BTW I thought it was to slow if it stayed in the barrel!!

Dan0341

UZI Talk Life Member
Click on the links to see mpegs of my M16/22 and Uzi/22.
At times, you'll easily hear the bullets impacting metal targets downrange (about 75 yards away). Bullets hitting dirt is considerably louder than the firing of the weapons (kinda suprising when I had first done it). I use CCI Standard Velocity or CCI Subsonic to avoid the supersonic crack.

Dan

LRM

FFL/SOT
Suppressed 77/22

515_B7722VIDAR8.jpg
http:[url]www.lrmfirearms.com/pages/866792/index.htm[/URL]

My favorite gun is my 77/22
when shooting CCI min mag all you hear is the bullet inflight

I get 1/4" groups at 50yrds with Win power point
but I mostly shoot it at 25-30 yrds

CCI mini mag it shoots 1141fps that as close as I can get to the speed barrier
Speed of sound 1150+/-

On some batchs of CCI mini mag it might go over the edge
but its cheapers to buy another batch of ammo or brand
then to have a gun that hits like a BB gun

The first VIDARs shot 1000fps +/- but then LE wanted more fps
for shooting out tires at 50yrds
thats when I came out with a new baffle and less ports

It will shoot HV, target and sub-sonic 22lr ammo

When ever I go to the range I almost always have 4 guns with me - Kimber CDP ,Steyr AUG, M-169 and my 77/22

sigfla

FFL/SOT
I have one of Lee's 77/22's also. It is unreal quiet. Literally all you hear is the bullet in flight. It sort of sounds like a pellet gun but much more quiet. I told Lee after I got it that it was almost too quiet. I have to stop myself from shooting it in my yard for safety's sake. If you watched me do it and didn't know I was firing live rounds you wouldn't be able to tell if not for the sound of the bullet in flight (the .22 subsonics sound more like an increase in the surrounding air pressure than anything else).

Lee refinished the target model 77/22 for me when he built the gun and did a slick trigger job on the gun. Looks as great as it shoots. I highly recommend the Vidar to anyone who is looking for "Hollywood" quiet.

montana_jeepn

UZI Talk Supporter
I ran some CCI Mini Mags through it that were subsonic. Big improvement!!! I will continue to experiment with other ammo to see what I can get to be the most quiet. It is very quiet though. Thanks for everyones input and it was very nice to see pictures of other folk's rigs. Thanks again.

M_J

Fr8 Dawg

Registered Grinch
I will be using a Steve Lauer .22 can on my Colt AR-15 soon. I have one of those Colt .22 LR conversion kits. I know it fouls the heck out of the barrel, but I can always go to work and clean it out.

Should be kind of quiet.

Any thoughts to just running a FMJ .223 down the bore after 50 shots of .22 LR to help keep the bore clean? I would only do this after removing the can of course.

tony k

FFL/C&R
Omega Man, the problem is not fouling in the bore. Yes, that can be taken care of by running some 5.56 FMJ afterward, and/or some work with a bore brush.

What happens is that all the usual unburned-power .22 RF crap also fills up the gas port. Then one of two things happens when you switch back to 5.56 (.223):

--Either the port is completely blocked, turning your AR15 into a bolt-action;
or
--the crud gets blown back into the gas tube, where it restricts the gas flow and causes reliability issues, or it simply accumulates in spots and retains heat, promoting the premature failure of your gas tube from a hot spot.

It is possible to clean your gas tube regularly from the receiver end, though often all this does is push the crud back toward the front port. And to clean the port itself, you need to remove the front sight tower, which IMHO is a pain in the butt.

Using a suppressor on an AR15 increases all of the above, with the can-induced back pressure sending even more crud into the gas tube.

I have experienced the above, and seen it happen on many other ARs/M16s, but I know of a few folks who have not encountered the problem.

So: Do you feel lucky?:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter