Finally! A trip to the range

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
A long last, the temp breaks 25 degrees (above) and it's a sunny day. Time to head to the range. I haven't had this nice a shooting opportunity since I went to the range with Bob T in Arizona just before the SAR show. Sure, the wind chill was down to about 10 degrees. And I had to snowshoe in the last 1/4 mile from the club house to the rifle range. And I had to scale the 6 foot snow bank to get to the shooting benches. But after two months of not shooting, this is a dream.

range.jpg

I wanted to try out some new loads in the MP5. It wasn't nice enough to set up a chronograph but I brought the timer along for a quick check on the ROF. These loads are still a bit hotter than Winchester White Box so I'm going to tone them down further and check the velocity next time. WWB ran at 820 RPM and my loads were 850 RPM. My UZI loads are super hot and I have blown an extractor spring shooting them in the MP5.

The MP5 ran flawlessly.

Picking up brass is a pain when there's a lot of snow on the ground. Gotta love the HK stripes on the brass.

brass.jpg

416Rich

UZI Talk Life Member
Snow looks pretty deep! I think i`ll just put up with the "dry heat" in Las Vegas.

StooperZero

not as much snow but still bone cold here.

Yea. the HK striping.

good way to tell if your flutes are clean.

prebans

FFL/SOT, Distinction Arms, UZI Talk Life Member,
...and I thought our snow was bad!

Try putting out a tarp before shooting to collect the shells. It should make cleanup a lot quicker.

Mike

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
prebans said:
...and I thought our snow was bad!

Try putting out a tarp before shooting to collect the shells. It should make cleanup a lot quicker.

Mike

You're forgetting the showshoeing in and out having to carry everything, plus keeping the tarp from blowing away in the wind because you can't really stake it down in the deep snow.

piratesover40

UZI Talk Life Member
RoverDave said:
Picking up brass is a pain when there's a lot of snow on the ground. Gotta love the HK stripes on the brass.

brass.jpg

I know nothing about the HK. What causes the stripe?

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
Ben Dover said:
Damn, Dave

What the hell do you guys use for a backstop out there? :eyespop

Eventually the bullet just goes past the end of the earth.

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
piratesover40 said:
I know nothing about the HK. What causes the stripe?

The stripes indicate that they have been fired in the finest subgun known to mankind. Sort of like a brand. :lol

Just kidding. HK likes to flute their chambers. The gas from the fired round travels down the flutes and leaves the dirty lines on the case. I think they started doing it on the original G3 rifle as a way to ensure better extraction of the .308 case. I doubt it provides much value on a 9mm.

SubGunFan

UZI Talk Life Member
GREAT pictures RoverDave.....

The firing line view looks like the range is located above the Artic Circle.... :)

Man, with all that snow and ice, I think I would have just left the 9mm brass....

Yes, I would say you wanted to go shooting REALLY BAD to deal with those conditions............. Seeing what you have to deal with, I will cut you a little slack in the UTS SMG match.......

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
SubGunFan said:
Seeing what you have to deal with, I will cut you a little slack in the UTS SMG match.......

Oh really? What are you going to do, shoot left handed? :laugh

po

UZI Talk Supporter
:jaw_drop

OMG. If there is enough snow in Georgia to make a snowball, we deploy the Guard and request Regular Army. That much would send the whole state into cardiac arrest.

-- po

BeachinBeemer

UZI Talk Life Member
The only white crap we have piled that high is sand at the beach and it's usually littered w/little nymphs in stripes!!!-better than the blue pill for an guy-Beemer:biker

Noah Zark

UZI Talk Life Member
RoverDave said:
The stripes indicate that they have been fired in the finest subgun known to mankind. Sort of like a brand. :lol

{sniff}

That statement has the odor of HK snobberah! ;)

Seriously, wading through ass-deep snow to go shooting is a sure sign of a dedicated firearms enthusiast. :thumbs_up

Noah

blueline541

UZI Talk Life Member
I think y'all need to sign up for global warming. Its made a world of difference down here in Georgia. It seldom gets below freezing anymore, so I get to shoot in fair comfort nearly all winter now.

prebans

FFL/SOT, Distinction Arms, UZI Talk Life Member,
RoverDave said:
You're forgetting the showshoeing in and out having to carry everything, plus keeping the tarp from blowing away in the wind because you can't really stake it down in the deep snow.

Ah...

Good Lord.

Mike

StooperZero

My truck bed is full of striped .223 empties.
Gotta love a rifle that you can shoot 3 rounds at 100 yds and cover them with a dime.

Hope it gets warm soon so I can go out without have to dress like a damn astronaut.

garandman

Holy crap.

If I never get to shoot again, I'm not wading thru that much snow to go shooting.

I'd admire your dedication, sir. <tips the hat>

garandman

Ben Dover said:
Damn, Dave

What the hell do you guys use for a backstop out there? :eyespop

Gravity.

Eventually, the bullet just gets tired and drops to the earth from exhaustion.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter