Front Wrist Strap

AbeBlingin

Banned
Hi fellow MAC fans, I have just gottne my LEO to sign off and have sent in the forms for my Powder Springs MAC-10 in .45 full auto. There was a SNAFU with the order details, but the guy will buy me a Cobray 9mm upper and provide the mags. It was a good deal I think at $3700 (plus $200 tax stamp and $100 tranfer fee). I have had a Stephenville MAC-10 in semi auto ($750 at a private sale at a gun show, too much?), and I was able to get a simple strap for that with the snap button. The hanger has a slot that has an extra part removed so the snap can go through. Now my new MAC-10 only has a hanger with the thin flat slot. I need the front wrist strap with the metal clip for this one. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY ONE PLEASE? I figure they haven't been made since the 80's, and trust me I went down the entire links list and made several calls. It looks like RPB used to make them, and I think it was e-gunparts used to carry them. I have two possible leads, I will try talk the guy I bought through to sell me one off another Powder Springs MAC I see he has for sale (no dice I'm guessing). The other is a chance that they MAY have seen the metal clip loose in the "crap box" at another place. Guy would sell it for $5. I think all these strap were sewn on, but I could probably just put the snap strap through it. Maybe even have a custom strap made and sewn for it if I luck out with the loose one. Anyway, I was hoping someone might have some suggestions if anyone still sells them, or the odd chance that someone may have the strap with metal clip that they would be willing to sell to me. I am very happy with the Powder Springs MAC from my one visit (did not shoot as the widow of the guy's estate did not include a mag), but I'd be thrilled to complete it with the original type wrist strap. Oh, and the spring came out and got bent on my semi 9mm MAC today, after some pretty nice groupings at 7 yards.

How does one use the wrist strap/front strap the best? I have been putting my fingers through it with my right hand and then holding the grip over my left hand (I shoot left handed). I was even having my right thumb around the grip, but now try fold the thumb forward. I have heard they were to hold onto to control vertical climb in full autos. What do you guys think? How do you use the front strap? I'd like to try different ways to see what works best for me.

Anyway, I didn't want to start too many posts/threads especially being a n00b here, but I'd like to read what anyone thinks on all of this, my main thing, where can I find the strap with the metal clip to attach in the hangers with the thin slot, and secondly, can I just replace the telescoping bolt's spring, at like Cobray? I heard they guy running Cobray passed away recently and the widow runs it now and is slow to answer calls. Sorry to hear that. Good for her trying any way. So $750 was too much for a Stephenville semi closed bolt in 9mm, right? How about the free fake suppressor? LOL It does say 9mm and .45 ACP, which I guess tells me it would easily convert to with a .45 kit. As for the Powder Springs full auto, I think $3,700 was a good deal, especially considering the guy will make my order right with the $400 Cobray 9mm upper. Also, as a suprise, it came with an extra barrel and a extension. Did not make up for no 9mm upper and no mags, though, but he will get those.

Hope that wasn't too much. Thanks, Looking forward to reading from y'all and learning how to get the most out of this great SMG.

garandman

AbeBlingin said:
How does one use the wrist strap/front strap the best?

Welcome aboard. The M11 / M10 is a blast to shoot.

Best technique for front strap usage -

1. Grasp strap firmly in off / support hand.

2. Walk to trash can.

3. With hand directly over trash can, release grasp.

4. Acquire stable, solid, fwd grip.

5. Install and enjoy.

I may be alone in this opinion (don't really care if I am) but a flimsy strap thingy that puts my hand about 1" from the muzzle of a SMG bustin' off 1100 - 1300 RPM is NOT a viable option.

Ask yerself just ONE question - "Does any other viable SMG manufacturer (H&K / Uzi / etc) offer a "strap thingy? "

I don't really care if no one has ever shot their hand off before with a flimsy strap thingy. It'd suck to be the first guy. I just have made #%@&% sure that *** I *** am NOT gonna be the first guy.

Others may not view their off hand as a valuable commodity. I do. Others may like the "stump look" for their off hand. I don't. YMMV.

(Note to OP: This has been discussed before. My post is as much for others benefit as for yours) :D

104timberwolf

UZI Talk Supporter
I happen to be selling new reproduction straps that are identical to the original PS straps. $25.00 postage paid.

AbeBlingin

Banned
Thanks for the welcome, I'll be sure to hunt down a nice avatar pic soon.

Strobe, thanks for the video. It looks like he's just using it to prevent climb there. What I do is slip my hand through the loop, and then do a double hand grasp like I would most pistols. My hand is no so *dangerously* close to the muzzle, and the diagonal tension on the strap coupled with the two handed grip seems to work best for me so far. I'll try this, and others, as I figure things will be different for a mag dump in full auto.

Strobe, when you said you never installed your strap, does this mean you have one to spare? One witht he metal clip thing?

Oh. I saw the gorey stump stories, thanks for the heads up, Garandman. Is that some sort of initiation thing? I guess I could always use my fake suppressor... I'm afraid for now I'm more of a purist, wanting as much retro and accurate stuff. A front grip really doesn't appeal to me, as I hope my Gemtech Viper 45 will be graspable. It says the base that is thicker (to resemble the 2 stage sionics) is knurled for cooling. Does that mean it's not going to get hot? Anyone have any experiecne with the Gemtech Viper 45? Can you hold it? For how many mag dumps? I like that it is seemingly light, yet retains the classic sionics look. Is this the best suppressor for my MAC-10 in .45?

Timberwolf, are these straps you're offering like the ones with the metal clip and strap sewn around the metal loop? Mine is a Powder Springs .45, if that makes a difference. Got any pics? I would probably buy one if I give up on a *real* one.

So my other questions, was $750 too much for a closed bolt Stephenville semi in 9mm? Was $3700 a good deal for a Powder Springs in .45 auto with a 9mm upper to boot?

Also, how hard is it to change a barrel out? Is the barrel shroud/extension usefull? It the old school looking cooling dealy witht he long ovalesque holes...

Also, I notice alot of the airsoft replicas seem to have the kind of strap I am looking for, maybe I should pursue that path. Anyone know if these airsoft replica places will just sell a strap?

I see alot of buzz about the MAX-10. I understand that less than 2 seconds for a mag-dump is not exactly optimal, but is the slow fire really that advantagious? What a 5 second mag dump?

Is is safe to fire reloaded ammo in a full auto?

Where do babies come from?

medphys

UZI Talk Life Member
:welcome

What I do is slip my hand through the loop, and then do a double hand grasp like I would most pistols.

Which is the correct way (I read somewhere).

So my other questions, was $750 too much for a closed bolt Stephenville semi in 9mm?
Who cares? Sell it and buy a Max10.

Was $3700 a good deal for a Powder Springs in .45 auto with a 9mm upper to boot?
Are you happy? If so, then you got a good deal

Also, how hard is it to change a barrel out?
Easy. Drive out the roll-pin and unscrew from the upper.

Is the barrel shroud/extension usefull? It the old school looking cooling dealy witht he long ovalesque holes...

Yes. It let's you throw away the front strap :)

I see alot of buzz about the MAX-10. I understand that less than 2 seconds for a mag-dump is not exactly optimal, but is the slow fire really that advantagious? What a 5 second mag dump?

Once you go Max, you'll never go back :)

Is is safe to fire reloaded ammo in a full auto?

Yes, as long as you stay below +P pressures.

Where do babies come from?

AR15.com ?

Again- welcome aboard! Don't be afraid of the search function. You can spend hours reading the old posts and learn a lot in a very short period of time.

9mmsubgun-m11

UZI Talk Life Member
The strap scares me as well.A nice vfg will give you excellent control.Lages slowfire uppers are an excellent addition and gives you a few more options as well.The one other thing I would consider is replacing the flimsy wire stock-which might and can fold up on you at the worst possible time.

AbeBlingin

Banned
Thanks for the answers medphys. I think I've done a pretty complete skim over all the board I can view, but I'll give the search function a try soon. I'll probably hold on to my semi MAC-10, at least as long as this current administration is in control. Yep, it'll be redundant with the flip of a switch once I get my 9mm upper for/and my auto (4 or 5 months away AT LEAST). But I guess if I want to shoot at an indoor range that doesn't allow class 3, or just don't want to put wear on my full auto when I plan on only semi-fire, I guess it'll be somewhat usefull.

Yeah, I was very happy with the full auto in both .45 and 9mm for $3700. I guess what I'm saying is "pretty good deal, huh?" I've read the average price for a full auto is around $3500, so kinda like 1/2 price on a 9mm upper, plus free barrel extension and .45 barrel.

I'll have to try out the barrel extension. But by your logic I could throw it away once I get my Viper 45 (assuming I can hold it or find some stylish oven mitts).

I guess I'd want the front strap even if I didn't use it. For "authenticity" maybe?

Remember I haven't shot the auto yet, but I tried the wire stock on, and I actually liked it! My semi doesn't have one (no place for one either, not just missing one), and I was suprised how sturdy it felt. It may be a different story once I mag dump. There seems to be some interesting options for stock adaptions. I guess I would consider the AR type adapter or the thompson sub styles.

I've seen videos where the wire stock seems to move way to freely. I figure there has been less than 500 rounds through this, and I think the wire stock locks and clicks in very sturdy. Maybe over time it'll fail and I'll want to explore a different option. Actually it will be a treat all in itself in having a stock at all.

Thanks again.

PK

UZI Talk Life Member
Well, call me stupid… just did the MAC today and I always use the strap in FA when unsuppressed. Never worried me a bit, still doesn't. Timberwolf's strap is a dead ringer for an original (but unmarked) and includes the correct hardware.

AbeBlingin

Banned
I'm taking the gorey stump hand buisness as much of a joke (inside joke?). I just found the thread with the pics of Timberwolf's straps, looks good! But they look alot shorter than the snap-button ones, and don't loop. So I guess they are just for climb control? I also saw in that thread "I hold it like Ingram intended", how is that? I am happy with the method I use in holding my snap-loop strap. Looks like I would have to so something else here with this. UNLESS... I made a monster hybrid with a long loop snap strap thru the metal part?

How are these shorty straps held effectively?

104timberwolf

UZI Talk Supporter
Thanks for the kind comment PK! I've never had an issue w/ shooting with the strap either. My wife has been quite surprised by the demand for the straps.

Abe, the later Cobray straps are much longer than the original PS straps and the snap will not fit through the mount behind the barrel.

DSC_0001-1.jpg

Original PS strap is on the left, my repro. is on the right

FOZ

UZI Talk Supporter
AbeBlingin said:
I'll have to try out the barrel extension. But by your logic I could throw it away once I get my Viper 45 (assuming I can hold it or find some stylish oven mitts).

Thanks again.

If your strap attaches to the barrel you would have to lose it to run a viper and your hand should be fine

from gem-techs website
Gem-Tech said:
The Best MAC Suppressors Ever Made!

Strong claim? Certainly — but Gemtech backs it up with the performance specifications of our VIPER series. It is far smaller and lighter than the original Sionics design, but it retains the classic look of the early MAC suppressors by the addition of an over-diameter heat shield, knurled for a steady grip. Not only does this make for a more controllable MAC, the heat shield also makes up the most extraordinary feature of this unit — it doubles as a secure locking device that ratchets back into a rock-solid mount to prevent loosening or dangerous unscrewing during hard use. Initial installation is simple, and subsequent mounting/dismounting is simpler yet — just slide the heat shield forward to disengage the locking mechanism to remove the VIPER from the host firearm.

It is the quietest dedicated suppressor available for one of the most widespread submachine guns ever marketed in the United States. Period. VIPER suppressors are available in .45ACP and 9mm versions.

more viper talk
http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11803&highlight=GEMTECH+VIPER

I would say relax and forget you bought it. Worry about details when its in your gun safe.

FOZ

Last edited:

Waco Wayne

I got a strap from 104timberwolf. I really like it. When I'm not using the suppressor,the strap is being used.

AbeBlingin

Banned
Thanks for the pic, Timberwolf.

Yeah FOZ, I expect a long wait for the Viper, it's been over 4 months and they haven't even made it yet. My transfer guy says they are saying "don't bother us anymore", the fuck do you talk to pre-paid customers like that? I've read about other wait nightmares with Gemtec. Does anyone really find dealers with them in stock? I just figure I might as well make good use of the long waiting time finding out as much as I can (no pun intended). I already found out it looks like I'll have to remove the barrel and get the strap hanger off to put the Viper on. Seeing how even after my paperwork may clear for the auto in 4-5 months, my Viper may not be ready by then, even if it was, still a 4-5 month wait once I get that paperwork started. So a strap would still be handy in the in-between time.

Anyone know about this "how Gordon Ingram intended" strap holding method?

Last edited:

AbeBlingin

Banned
Like I said before, I'm kinda trying to keep most of my questions in this thread, even non-strap related ones. I thought I did a good job skimming before asking, but the search function seems to acess older threads.

Anyway, I just cleaned my semi 9mm MAC-10, and it looks like what I guess is like a washer that holds the square metal and plastic part onto the biggest rod on the back broke. I remember seeing something like that loose (broken?) but didn't pay much attention. So I figure that broke and that allowed the recoil spring to get loose and bend out of shape. Looks like I'll have no prob replacing the spring from Cobray, but I only see the washer-like part in M-12 and M-11. Does anyone know what it is called and where I can get one?

I plan on having my gunsmith look at it tommorow before I order from Cobray. He did a great job reworking the hammer spring (which could not be found for a Stephenville) which was broke/bent when I bought it. I don't expect he can recoil the recoil spring, but definately my go-to MAC guy, oh and you guys, thanks.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter