How many mags?

Sidewinder

Serious question. How many magazines do you have stashed away for your main defense rifle for use if things go south into a destabilizing situation?

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
Deployed soldiers say they do 6 or 8. I figure if you need more than 8 mags to get out of a situation, you're not going to make it out, and if you do you'll have time to reload anyway. I actually buy more just so I don't have to reload at the range if mags are affordable like for AR / Mac. Even then 16 is probably enough for me.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
i used to think 50-100. That being said, I use the same 10 mags for shooting/matches, whatever. So now I would lean more towards 15-20. 10 to use and 5-10 as spares.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
The question I ask is, "How much inventory do you want to leave the people who kill you?" There is no situation where having a stockpile of anything is going to last during a long siege. Shoot and run is the best survival strategy. The longer you fight from a static position, the more time your enemy will have to probe, flank and overrun your position.

My enemy may get my stuff but they will need to assemble it, to use it. :)

slimshady

With the way certain folks want to ban anything holding more ammo than a Revolutionary War musket, (and having lived through one mag ban already that saw $100+ well used AR15 magazines) I figure a magazine stash is a lifetime supply for each rifle. Since the average rifle may last a few hundred years if taken care of, I tend to go with more is better.

sleepy

Having lived through the magazine ban also I’m the wrong person to comment. Lol. I’m embarrassed to say my magazine stash.

slimshady

Simple formula, if you have more mags than ammo to load them with, you need more ammo. If you have more ammo than mags, you need more mags. Of course like hot dogs come in a 10 pack and buns come in 8 packs, it may take some years before you reach a point of equilibrium...

Sidewinder

So slimshady and sleepy, taking into account the possibility of a high-capacity magazine ban, that magazines can wear out and regardless of how many mags you have, could you please share an opinion on how many mags to stash for one or for each (if multi calibers are a factor) defense rifle? I'm trying to get a handle on high-end not minimum recommendations for worse possible scenarios of major destabilizing situations. This is an honest question.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
A good question is do you have a level 3a or 4 vest? Got a 1st kit with blood clotting supplies? Liquor for the pain?

For magazines I keep 6. I actually think of my max31c as a home defense item (only in shtf if roving mobs are around) and I keep 6 drums known to be 100%. Have spares and ammo cans by the safe.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
If stuff really gets bad and the wolves arrive I can take away my wife’s credit card and lock her outside.

Good luck to them...

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
The question I ask is, "How much inventory do you want to leave the people who kill you?" There is no situation where having a stockpile of anything is going to last during a long siege. Shoot and run is the best survival strategy. The longer you fight from a static position, the more time your enemy will have to probe, flank and overrun your position.

My enemy may get my stuff but they will need to assemble it, to use it. :)

I can imagine there are some projects on the premises!

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
A good question is do you have a level 3a or 4 vest? Got a 1st kit with blood clotting supplies? Liquor for the pain?

For magazines I keep 6. I actually think of my max31c as a home defense item (only in shtf if roving mobs are around) and I keep 6 drums known to be 100%. Have spares and ammo cans by the safe.

Have liquor

sleepy

My personal rule of thumb is 10 mags per weapon. I have stockpiled over the years but I always pick up 1 magazine when I’m at my local gun shop so I never feel it in the wallet. Been doing this for 20 years or more

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
Personally I think that the more important question is, how many rounds do you have? You can reload the mags that you have, but you need ammo to reload the mags with. Especially if you have someone else who can load the mags for you, the ammunition supply would be much more important than magazine supply. At least that is my opinion.

Scott

hfoster223

You need 22 mags, not 21, not 23 but 22 fully loaded mags, now your good.

Any other questions?

Deerhurst

I have 30 or so for my go to rifle because I am weak and buy every mag I come across at a decent deal.

I like to have at least 5 mags for everything I own. Except burp guns. Multiply that by about 10 as a rule.

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Everyone always thinks ammo/mags.

You likely won’t fire 1000 rounds around your stick frame house without being hit.

You can mentally avoid that equation but math adds up.

Jager

I have a ten magazine minimum for anything I shoot regularly. I feel better getting closer to 20. Use the ten, keep others new as spares. Living through a magazine ban, paying a premium for any mag over 10 rounds... that will make you a hoarder. Ask me how I know.

rchaisch

I make sure I have lots of mags on hand. Ones for range use, ones for competition use, some for storage, some for replacement and some for my kids and kid's kids. Also spare parts, ammo, etc.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
12 rifle mags on a belt, plus 6 pistol mags. That loadout should allow you to get out of most situations, especially if you have a couple of other people likewise equipped.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter