Knob Creek Subgun Unofficial Results

sofltodd

Banned
I have to say that amphibian and I did what we came to do with the mini uzi. We both placed top 10 with amphibians mini uzi + MK9k using FNM 147 grain ammo and barrelxchanges heavy bolt in the open bolt with optics class. We both had one malfunction during our runs but we were able to clear them fast and keep going. It's not clear what the cause of the malfunctions were and there wasn't much time to diagnose the problem anyway

I will post video today of a couple of the runs if possible. It looks like the Mini Uzi has proven itself viable competition gun thanks to the hard work of amphibian with his docter top cover and the heavy bolt by barrelxchange.

- Todd

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
Nice job guys! Looks like HKShooter also did well.

Good the see that the Sterlings placed well in the list..

Hey Todd, that was nice of you not to mention that you kicked Amphibian's ass! I can just imagine the discussion on the long ride home.

sofltodd

Banned
RoverDave said:
Nice job guys! Looks like HKShooter also did well.

Good the see that the Sterlings placed well in the list..

Hey Todd, that was nice of you not to mention that you kicked Amphibian's ass! I can just imagine the discussion on the long ride home.

HK Shooter did great for his second competition ever (UT 2005 being his first). You can tell he has the smg match bug big time and will be walking on the rest of us shortly I'm sure.

As far as amphibian being mad I don't think he had anything to be pissed off about at all. Although I beat his time with his own gun in open bolt optics he placed 3rd in closed bolt irons, 8th in open bolt optics , 10th in closed bolt optics and fairly well in the open bolt irons even though his iron sights were off. For his first showing at KCR to get 3 top 10 finishes out of 4 classes is amazing.

The amphibian ride home song went something like this

"I got sooooooo many bolts at the creeek naaa naaa naaa naaa naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa naaaa"

"forty smith and wesson cloooooooooooosed bolt naaa naa naa naa naa naa"

"Side cocker bwah ahahaha aahahaha haha ahaha "

We tried to leave him at a rest stop and drive off but he climed back in before we could pull away. I'm sure he's still smiling, he has reason to be.

Last edited:

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
RoverDave said:

As Todd says, it wasn't like that at all.
We wanted to represent w/ the MINI.
I don't think I've EVER seen a MINI at the Creek compete. I honestly shoot better w/ the Full size UZI.
Todd shot 2 classes
Open/closed bolt w/ OPTICS
I shot all 4:
OPEN/closed bolt, optics/Irons.
In retrospect, I think that was too much.
Andy (aka TFA on UZItalk), didn't even bother to shoot the open bolt irons as he was tired and at that point knew he had taken 1st place (as usual) in the open bolt optics.
I had TWO malfunctions w/ the MINI w/ IRON sights. I find that the heavy bolt is still a little heavy to be 100% for me or maybe I have yet to find the perfect spring setup for my configuration.
On my second run, I cleaned everything again and lubed it up and I had zero malfunctions when I ran w/ the MINI w/ the Docter.
It was a long day.
I ran the MINI w/ optics as my LAST run. I was already tired at this point.
You choose which order you want to run at the Creek.
It's ironic, I figured I'd do the worst w/ the closed bolt IRONS so I shot that first and I got 3rd in that.
If I could do it all over again, I think I would have chosen to do the open bolt / optics 2nd instead of last (if doing 4 classes).
I had a headache all day and there was no crap talking as we were all beat trying to get some sleep on that 13 hour drive back.

Regarding Todd's performance, I am very proud of him. He has been competing for just about a year. I invited him up to Malabar to shoot before he even had a SMG and he has evolved into one of the top MINI shooters out there that also kicked RoverDave and MY ass at the Vegas match.

***Also Todd's Woman SONIA kicked RoverDave's ASS also at the Vegas shoot*** :D

You get what you put into it. Todd has put a lot of time into practicing his mag changes at home. Taking videos and analyzing his shooting technique to get to where he is today.

Honestly, I do not practice. Todd knows that about everytime I show up I have something that I want to "test". I am tinkerer. My time is limited and I spend most of that time trying different things rather than honing my mag changes and shooting technique.

As I told everyone I shoot with, this would be my first and last time competing at the Creek. I just wanted to do it once in my life. I think Todd, HKShooter, Carcass know that I'm all about the Hungry Hippo Action at the Creek and I'd rather do that than watch the competitions. I am very content shooting at my local matches here in Florida. I am fortunate to have guys like TFA and SoFLTodd that are passionate and very good at this great sport.

Last edited:

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
sofltodd said:
As far as amphibian being mad I don't think he had anything to be pissed off about at all.

I wasn't referring to amphibian being mad. I was thinking about the possibility of you trash talking the whole way home. I still remember you in the UZI Talk video saying "Hey guys, do you have one of these ribbons? On no, I guess you don't!" Ha! Admit it you trash talker!

As for my showing at the UT shoot, I'll be sure to duct tape my top cover next year!

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
RoverDave said:

As for my showing at the UT shoot, I'll be sure to duct tape my top cover next year!

Operator error there. Nobody I know has that problem.:D
Also, the topcover incident had NOTHING to do w/ your times as you started over. So Sonia beat ya fair and square. ;)

Last edited:

sofltodd

Banned
RoverDave said:
I wasn't referring to amphibian being mad. I was thinking about the possibility of you trash talking the whole way home. I still remember you in the UZI Talk video saying "Hey guys, do you have one of these ribbons? On no, I guess you don't!" Ha! Admit it you trash talker!

I would have rubbed it in but his gleeful jabbering about his new bolts drowned me out. I'm not one poke fun at buddies... :D

44382228.jpg

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!! After watching how serious you guys were at the UT match last year, I knew you'd have great runs at the creek. For once, I was right. Thanks for representing the UZI so well and making all of us here proud. :clap

Todd, was that a typo or did you actually use a 9mm AUG in closed bolt optic class?

sofltodd

Banned
Vegas SMG said:
Todd, was that a typo or did you actually use a 9mm AUG in closed bolt optic class?

You read it right. A friend of mine has an Aug which I have shot a few times here in FL and he offered to let me use it over the M16 at the creek. I couldn't pass him up on the offer. Most of the folks at the creek were like "what in the hell.. we don't see many of these here ever".

It's a registered Fleming trigger pack and had I had a bit more experience using it I think I would have placed well with it. What a fun and reliable gun to shoot in 9mm and I would almost consider it the ideal gun for 9mm closed bolt compeittion if it had larger magazines. I had nine 25 rounders on my body at the start of the stage and had to do 4-5 mag changes + cocking manipulations (no bolt hold back like the Colts unfortunately)

I'll post the video of me switching from right hand to left hand with it and although my friend warned me "watch out for your lips when you switch to lefty because you could end up swallowing brass"... On the first shot left handed I felt the brass and gasses graze my mouth... Not the best feeling in the world
:D

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Way cool! Mine is also a Flemming sear installed in a HAMMER pack. The 25 round 9mm AUG magazines actually have a last round bolt hold open feature. You may have been using one of the early generation mag well adapters that doesn't have that feature. I have a third generation barrel with the slant cut compensator and I think the mag well adapter is a fourth generation as it has the hold open feature. The one "factory" mag that came with the gun holds the bolt open. I have about 6, (I'd have to count), Steyr MPi 32 round mags that function great in the AUG, but the plastic bolt hold-open feature on these followers is absent.

There were only 400 total 9mm conversion kits imported, so it's a pretty rare accessory. Judging from your mag count, I'd have to wager a guess the range officers made you pull the trigger completely to the rear in order for you to compete with the AUG. Yes? To me, that's the beauty of the system. It shoots like a semi with little difficulty. I'm debating on whether I should use it at next month's match. I'll probably see how I do with it and decide what it's future holds.

sofltodd

Banned
The RO's didn't watch or ask about the trigger at the time of registreation , sign in or shooting. I do not believe it was a question since I did not use it nor could I have gained any advantage from using it. This stage was well thought out and a distinct advantage went to the full auto shooter as my videos which I will post shortly will show. I was left with a smile on my face at the end and even on the second set of targets commented to myself outloud "wow what a nice gun".

I believe my friend has a simialr gun to yours then the hammer pack not trigger pack. I'm not AUG fluent, just a fan.

WaffenUndBier

Way to go Amphibian! Note the M16/9 placing :D I ended up having to work the whole weekend. Good news is I got to take six of my son's friends/ schoolmates (ages 12 to 17) shooting Sunday morning and let them shoot Mr. Uzi. Only one had ever shot an MG before (his dad owned a cattle ranch in Central America where ownership of MG's was a necessity). It was great to see a bunch of kids mag dump an Uzi. Those kids will never be right again. :heavy:

Last edited:

sofltodd

Banned
OK I got an ear full on the phone... for the record the Aug in question I used at the creek is a FACTORY TRIGGER PACK.. not a fleming pack or a camel pack or a back pack yadda yadda yadda :D

HK Shooter

UZI Talk Supporter
Just wanted to get my 2 cents in too. I had a blast at the match and wish there were any matches out east close to PA.... You guys in FL and out west are very fortunate to have a place to shoot these matches. It is one thing to just empty a whole mag at an old TV or fridge, but to shoot under pressure of the clock and to hit 4" squares at 15 yards with out hitting the no shoot target is quite a different experience. I am pretty happy with my results, but won't be satisfied until I finish top ten. I wasted 20 sec with one malfunction of my 40rd mag and by hitting the wrong target. The full size UZI is great for competition since it is very easy to pull off singles. Can't wait for next year at the UZITalk shoot.

soflasmg

Hey sofltodd!

Talk about mastering new skills!!

You are my friggin hero.

congrats!

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Thanks for your help Todd. As I'm sure you know, I spoke with "R" yesterday and I'm much more enlightened as a result. He was a wonderful source of information. With the transferable guns so few and far between, there's not many AUG RKIs out there. I've still got an awful lot to learn.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter