Lessons learned, don’t procrastinate.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
I FINALLY got around to sorting brass that I’ve received from friends over the last year. I’ve learned a lesson and that’s not to procrastinate when it comes to sorting brass. It literally took me a day and a half to sort through this.

Last edited:

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Never given that much brass in a year but came close or even with wheel weight from Kramer.

Very nice score there very nice.

Got me drooling all over the phone screen.

Rich

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
I thought "that's cool" until you said "308 Match". That's when I started drooling!

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
Hey Zeus! It's not what you know, it's who you know. :)

So true.

Never given that much brass in a year but came close or even with wheel weight from Kramer.

Very nice score there very nice.

Got me drooling all over the phone screen.

Rich

My next goal is to start reclaiming lead from my range and start getting into casting bullets. Not sure how I’m going to get the lead out of the berm. I’m planning on using my tractors bucket and building a metal screen shifter.

I’m jealous. I would have to give out handjobs for that much brass

Lmao. Three of my shooting buddies compete in swat round up and they practice all the time. I’m fortunate they always picked up brass for me. Two of them are no longer going to compete. I’ll only have one buddy left to hook me up. He’s in a smaller county than the other two though.

I thought "that's cool" until you said "308 Match". That's when I started drooling!

The prize of the bunch for sure.

Jmacken37

Mr. Miata, UZI Talk Life Member,
You need to be collecting more of the "man's caliber" AKA 9mm... :)

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
An old screen door and a couple of sawhorses make a decent small scale sieve.

Re: Starting Casting; I recommend starting with Revolver Cartridges. Less problems with hardness (won't tear or bend like in an Semi or Full Auto or Bolt Action, lower pressure vs Rifle Cartridges means less chance to "smear" due to speed with soft lead). Lots of source material available. When you start mixing your own alloys, you'll need a decent set of scales. Lead and other the other metals need to be mixed by weight.

Last edited:

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member

I agree 100%. Unfortunately, most LEO departments in my area don’t carry 9mm. One of my buddies got hired on with Wh***lando PD and they carry 9s. He came up last week and shot with us for the day. When he left it was made apparently clear that next time he comes up to bring a bucket full of 9mm brass.

An old screen door and a couple of sawhorses make a decent small scale sieve.

Re: Starting Casting; I recommend starting with Revolver Cartridges. Less problems with hardness (won't tear or bend like in an Semi or Full Auto or Bolt Action, lower pressure vs Rifle Cartridges means less chance to "smear" due to speed with soft lead). Lots of source material available. When you start mixing your own alloys, you'll need a decent set of scales. Lead and other the other metals need to be mixed by weight.

Thank you. I’ve got a lot of reading to due before I start casting bullets.

Last edited:

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Re: Casting: Every time you cast, your first few will come out wrinkled. That's caused by the Mold being cold. Toss them back in the pot and remelt, when the mold warms up, they will come out smooth.
Also, NEVER, EVER use a steel object to touch any part of your Mold. If you have a bullet that won't release, tap the back of the Mold with a Wooden Hammer Handle, or a Rubber Maller. Using a Pocket Knife will scratch the Mold. You do not want that!

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I avoided casting and loading for SMG for years because the smoke and mess of lubes.

I started when the popularity, ease and benefits of powder coating bullets started making it easy to avoid the mess and smoke. I really enjoy making and loading bullets. Some avoid it because of the time it takes but time spent doing something you like is a pleasure.

With a Lee 20 LB bottom pour and a Dillon 650, it's not bad.

Be careful, the silver steam is as addictive as guns.

Last edited:

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member

Made some calls and I got this over the last few weeks. Thankfully it’s 95% (+) 9mm.
I’ve got another 3 gallon 9mm bucket of brass in the truck bed. I forgot about it; therefore, it’s not in the photo.
The contents of the Lowe’s bucket (sorted 9mm) has been gifted to a forum member (he will eventually get it).

64-CEB240-0-DBA-4228-AB79-756-E65936-DAD.jpg

TheColtCollector

UZI Talk Life Member
Made some calls and I got this over the last few weeks. Thankfully it’s 95% (+) 9mm.
I’ve got another 3 gallon 9mm bucket of brass in the truck bed. I forgot about it; therefore, it’s not in the photo.
The contents of the Lowe’s bucket (sorted 9mm) has been gifted to a forum member (he will eventually get it).

64-CEB240-0-DBA-4228-AB79-756-E65936-DAD.jpg

Dibs

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I just got done sorting 5K of free 9mm brass. I had to go through each one to make sure that every piece of stepped cases were removed. I cringe at the job you have. I'm not sure if there is a speedy way of checking for those cursed stepped cases.

KickStand

UZI Talk Life Member
I just got done sorting 5K of free 9mm brass. I had to go through each one to make sure that every piece of stepped cases were removed. I cringe at the job you have. I'm not sure if there is a speedy way of checking for those cursed stepped cases.

This is something I’ve also been dreading with the original video I posted (5 gallon bucket and 1/4 of a bucket of 9mm).

However, all this brass appears to be the same manufacturer and there’s NO step. That doesn’t mean there might be a couple in there (oddballs) but I don’t think that’s the case.

If your reloading with the 1050, I believe you can set up the swagging station to catch the step. Lastly, you can look down into the resizing station on your press and see if there is a step while reloading.

TheColtCollector

UZI Talk Life Member
This is something I’ve also been dreading with the original video I posted (5 gallon bucket and 1/4 of a bucket of 9mm).

However, all this brass appears to be the same manufacturer and there’s NO step. That doesn’t mean there might be a couple in there (oddballs) but I don’t think that’s the case.

If your reloading with the 1050, I believe you can set up the swagging station to catch the step. Lastly, you can look down into the resizing station on your press and see if there is a step while reloading.

Correct. Leave the plug off station #3. It can’t go down all the way, pull it off

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
jealous! I am down to my last couple k of 9mm brass

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter