M10 5.56 Upper Options

LGustin

FFL/C&R, UZI Talk Supporter,
What are my current (and near future) options for 5.56 uppers for my fat Mac? I was/am on the wait list for the Utilimac if that comes to life. I signed up for Lage M10/15 and figure this is the most likely to happen. Is the Tekno moving forward?
Now for some general questions…
Do these allow for select fire or are they full auto only? Do they use modified AR15 BCG or can any off the shelf group work? When I signed up for the Utilimac I bought stuff for both 5.56 and 7.62x39, can Lage M10/15 be swapped back and forth or will it be dedicated to 5.56? My M10 has the UZI conversion, does that affect my options? That’s all I can think of right now, I’m sure more questions will be coming.

LawBob

I signed up for Lage M10/15 and figure this is the most likely to happen.

It is available.

Is the Tekno moving forward?

It is in process. He had to reconfigure so that an expert using machined parts Held in a vice couldn’t make the upper, as designed (the adapter) fire FÃ without the lower on Fridays at night with their left hand. He has resubmitted a design.

Now for some general questions…

Do these allow for select fire or are they full auto only?

Lage yes. Tenko or Ulti - IdK

Do they use modified AR15 BCG or can any off the shelf group work?

Lage uses a modified carrier, primarily to engage the sear and firing pin. The bolt is swappable.

Tenko and Ulti, as I understand it, use off the shelf AR uppers, so if so, yes.

When I signed up for the Utilimac I bought stuff for both 5.56 and 7.62x39, can Lage M10/15 be swapped back and forth or will it be dedicated to 5.56?

You can use whatever barrel, bolt-head combo you want that you can get to work with the spring and feed through an AR magwell. But to swap entails changing the barrel and bolt (and of course removing the hand guard) each time, unless you use that quick barrel assembly Guajo uses (I think him). This voids your warranty.

That probably limits it to
556/300blk/762 or similar.

My M10 has the UZI conversion, does that affect my options?

No.

Last edited:

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
We have not yet resubmitted the Tenko 10-16. Currently I am at a refueling outage in Avila Beach, CA. Just before I left, in testing the closed bolt version, which would use standard off the shelf uppers, worked great. We will also be submitting an open bolt version. I think that I have one more adjustment to make on the open bolt mechanism. That will be the first thing that I will do when I get back to New Hampshire.

The open bolt version will require a modification to the upper. Once the modification has been done, the upper can still be used in a standard AR-15 and both open and closed bolt versions of the Tenko. The open bolt Tenko will be full auto only to start. I need more research and development of the fire control to have select fire in the open bolt configuration. That will require resubmition. The closed bolt version will be submitted will be select fire. I have used two different Uzi magwell converted M10s in development of the Tenko.

The Tenko should be able to use any off the shelf upper that will be fed by a magazine that is for the magwell of a standard AR-15/M16. It is my understanding that both the UltiMac and the Max-10/15 are uppers in and of themselves. The Tenko 10-16 is an adapter. In closed bolt configuration, the Tenko 10-16 adapter would give similar functionality of that of a M16 lower receiver. It is also my understanding that the Lage upper has a custom made carrier for both the Max-10/15 and the Max-11A1/15. The Max-11/15 for the M11/NINE is the one Lage upper that has an open bolt conversion part to fix the firing pin and catch the sear usinga standard AR carrier.

As far as caliber changes, bolt the UltiMac and Lage uppers require barrel and bolt changes. There was a thread about members here using the "Cry Havic" quick change barrel system. 7.62x39 would also require a bolt change. A second bolt group would help to change the bolt for different calibers, but I would think that you would need to work out a storage system, as after 100 rounds in mag dumps, the bolt group would be fairly warm. The information about the Lage and UltiMac uppers is from threads that I have read.

Scott
Manager A&S Conversions L.L.C.

Homer

I don’t remember the specifics but years ago a well known user posted a comical video trying to shoot an upper that never arrived. Best I remember he had a box and the bullets rolled out the front.

LawBob

I don’t remember the specifics but years ago a well known user posted a comical video trying to shoot an upper that never arrived. Best I remember he had a box and the bullets rolled out the front.
That. Was funny.

Homer

I finally remembered the user and did some searching. Here are some comments. The second one is from the guy that made the video. It was a very bad experience so I will leave it at that.

Because of that Video...You are Legend

I didn't delete the video but I did mark it as "unlisted" a few years ago to make it harder to find.

rchaisch

I finally remembered the user and did some searching. Here are some comments. The second one is from the guy that made the video. It was a very bad experience so I will leave it at that.

I didn't delete the video but I did mark it as "unlisted" a few years ago to make it harder to find.
Someone PM me that video plz.

LawBob

He fake putting a fictitious upper on and then “loaded” it with a box of ammo and poured the ammo out as he pretended to fire it.

woodenword

UZI Talk Supporter

Why would you make it harder to find?

Homer

First, sorry this thread has gotten off track. My original thought was that only one upper is available at this time and thought about the upper that never arrived. I honestly hope the best for Scott and the Redneck. I am on the list for one upper and at one time planned on trying to meet up with the Redneck at the North TX shooting the Chili puts on but I believe Redneck had health problems and covid put a lot of things hold. I didn’t hide the video. I think the man got burned on an upper that he paid for. It is a bad memory that he has put behind him. Best I can tell it is still a private video on utube that requires signing in to utube and having permission from the owner to view it. I didn’t contact him to get permission so I don’t know. I don’t know if the guy that made the video has seen this post. If he has he has chosen to leave it the way it is. Sometimes people just want to leave the past in the past.

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
It was member Eric's video about the comparison between the "never delivered" Stoneycreek Armory upper and the Lage Max-31 upper. Super fun and he has many fun shooting videos. I think he took down the video from his youtube channel.

woodenword

UZI Talk Supporter
Homer and Strobo, thanks for the explanations! I remember the video and the Stoneycreek debacle. But as you said, as Eric removed it from his channel he must be wanting it to go away.
So grateful for people like Lage and Practical Solutions and others, who while making a living with this stuff, do it honestly.

Weso

We have not yet resubmitted the Tenko 10-16. Currently I am at a refueling outage in Avila Beach, CA. Just before I left, in testing the closed bolt version, which would use standard off the shelf uppers, worked great. We will also be submitting an open bolt version. I think that I have one more adjustment to make on the open bolt mechanism. That will be the first thing that I will do when I get back to New Hampshire.

The open bolt version will require a modification to the upper. Once the modification has been done, the upper can still be used in a standard AR-15 and both open and closed bolt versions of the Tenko. The open bolt Tenko will be full auto only to start. I need more research and development of the fire control to have select fire in the open bolt configuration. That will require resubmition. The closed bolt version will be submitted will be select fire. I have used two different Uzi magwell converted M10s in development of the Tenko.

The Tenko should be able to use any off the shelf upper that will be fed by a magazine that is for the magwell of a standard AR-15/M16. It is my understanding that both the UltiMac and the Max-10/15 are uppers in and of themselves. The Tenko 10-16 is an adapter. In closed bolt configuration, the Tenko 10-16 adapter would give similar functionality of that of a M16 lower receiver. It is also my understanding that the Lage upper has a custom made carrier for both the Max-10/15 and the Max-11A1/15. The Max-11/15 for the M11/NINE is the one Lage upper that has an open bolt conversion part to fix the firing pin and catch the sear usinga standard AR carrier.

As far as caliber changes, bolt the UltiMac and Lage uppers require barrel and bolt changes. There was a thread about members here using the "Cry Havic" quick change barrel system. 7.62x39 would also require a bolt change. A second bolt group would help to change the bolt for different calibers, but I would think that you would need to work out a storage system, as after 100 rounds in mag dumps, the bolt group would be fairly warm. The information about the Lage and UltiMac uppers is from threads that I have read.

Scott
Manager A&S Conversions L.L.C.
Are you doing the Wolf Creek KS shutdown in April?

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter