SBR barrel

linus9

a little background info. i have a semi-auto, full size in 9mm. im waiting on the tax stamp from the atf to make it a registered sbr, i feel like it should get here in the next month or so.

i have two barrels. 1 is a 16 inch semi auto barrel. the other is an original (i believe israeli) smg barrel.

my questions are- what would be more practical and economical, having the original smg barrel turned to fit into the semi-auto collar of the gun? or having the semiauto barrel cut are recrowned? if modifying the original barrel didnt cost too much, id like to keep the (not very cheap) 16 inch barrel intact.

thanks, mike

Open Bolts

UZI Talk Supporter
Probably option 3: Sell the SMG barrel (even better, the 16" too) and buy a short barrel which is already sized for the trunion and ring.

dubagel

Don't mess with the 16" factory barrel!!! If it's an IMI Uzi, the barrel has the last 3 digits of the guns serial number stamped on it, near the muzzle end of the barrel. Just like the receiver top covers on IMI Galils. Very small and easy to miss if you didn't know about it. That's part of the reason they are expensive and hard to find, matched part. Have the SMG barrel turned down instead. If it's a surplus IDF barrel, you will find some Hebrew markings on it, may need a good white/incandescent light and magnifying glass

Last edited:

rcbif

Find a local with a lathe or a barrel profiling service online to bring your SMG barrel to spec. (and then just hope the chamber is correct and it feeds ok)

linus9

i appreciate the help. this gives me more ideas. i sent the second correction back in about a month ago, (why didnt they tell me about both problems the first time?) so, im hoping the approved form 1 will arriving soon.

mike

UZI SBR AWC

If IMI receiver and IMI 16" barrel with 3 digits out front, keep the 16" barrel intact as matching part for the frame.. Cheapest way out is to lathe cut the existing SMG barrel to fit semi-auto trunnion and restrictor ring.. hence no mods to original frame.

I took my IMI "B" and SBR' it back in 1989, all I did was buy barrel to fit semi-auto frame, I anit jacking an IMI semi auto frame for nothing

timo

UZI Talk Supporter
The 3 digits on my IMI'S don't match the last 3 of gun?

linus9

the barrel is nothing special, i think i bought it from d and d. the whole gun is a franken uzi that i built out of commercial and israeli parts on a group industries reciever. but it shoots real well and is a lot of fun.

mike

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter