Selling Street Sweeper to 01 Dealer

GaGunner

UZI Talk Supporter
Was talking to a guy who holds a 01 FFL about my desire to sell a Street Sweeper Shotgun (Destructive Device). He said that his shop could buy it with out a transfer tax. The shop is in the same state as I live in.

That did not sound right to me, as I thought the transfer tax had to be paid when ever possession of the gun was transferred, hence the name of the tax. Right? Can some one give me some insight into what this guy was talking about, or did he just not know what he was talking about?

Secondly, It has always been my understanding that any shop that deals in NFA weapons, should be able to buy, sell, or trade a Street Sweeper, Is that correct?

And finally, the question, everyone loves with a variation, I was thinking the fair market price for a Street, in good condition, would be between 600 to 900 hundred dollars, excluding the transfer tax, but I saw on line one when for over $1,000 at a Rock Island auction. Are they going up, or am I in the ball park with my estimate?

Thanks

deadduck

I don't know about selling to dealers in your state but... because I was looking for awhile...

I DO know that the 'Street Sweepers' hit over $1,000 about the same time that the SPAS 12 jumped from $1,500 to well over $3,000. And that was somewhere around 2014-15 maybe? I haven't looked lately but I think the last ones I saw were $1,200 to $1,500.

(and SPAS12s are from $3,500 to $5,000)

And yes these were the prices they were sold for. Not just the asking prices.

Don't even get me started on the USAS 12. :mg

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
The only way it can go to a dealer without a transfer tax is
If you remove it from the nfa registry and sell without a barrel.
Dealer could then form1 it.

You cannot just give/sell (ie transfer) an NFA item to another party
Regardless if they hold a FFL. A FFL can work on an NFA item (temp transfer) without it being a transfer (you can also do this with a form5, but that is not required). You can sell it intact, but YOU need an approved F4 for him to take possession of it.

Some dealers have no idea what they are doing.

Last edited:

slimshady

AFAIK, a type 09 FFL is needed to deal in destructive devices. type 01s can't. Same with manufacturers, they need a type 10 for DDs. For some reason ATF treats DDs as a separate category of NFA from the others where licensing is concerned. You still need the SOT in addition to the license to avoid the tax on each transfer. Also, the SOT only allows tax-free transfers from dealer to dealer, technically the seller owes the tax, not the buyer so each sale to an SOT dealer by a non-licensee still incurs the transfer tax.

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
is it a 12.12.12
or long bbl?

That seems cheap.
Asking prices are much higher at times .
Was a 410 version listed for big bucks on gb for a long time...may still be there.

Seems like even kits are rare and in the range your talking about...idk

GaGunner

UZI Talk Supporter
answer to theduke, mine is two our to three, It is 12gauge and holds 12, but it is an 18 inch barrel. In response to slimshady, I almost asked about that, as I had heard that too, but I also heard that because 09 dealers are rare, ATF lets NFA dealers handle DDs. I have no idea if that is right or just "something I heard". Any comments on this from anyone?. Does anyone know of any problems doing in state person to person sale with a DD? I did it with a sub-gun no problems, but I have never worked with DDs. By the way, it is so stupid Street Sweepers are DDs when shotguns such as the S&W MP12 and the Kel-Tec KSG 25 are better weapons and are just shotguns. AFT does what it has to do to please the person in power or in the case of the Street Sweeper the person who was in power, Bill Clinton.

Thanks for all the replies.

rchaisch

If I were to sell my SS, I'd put it on GB and let it ride with at least a $1,500 reserve.

Do you have any collectibles for the SS, like a case, box or something else?

GaGunner

UZI Talk Supporter
No, wish I did. It was kind of an odd thing how I got it. A friend went to a gun sale and did not buy anything for himself, but he knew I wanted a AK and he bought the Street Sweeper cause he knew I would like it and he knew I was good for it. I don't recall what the AK was, but I think I paid 400 for the Street Sweeper. This was in 88 or 89, around the time Bush Sr would ban the import of all kinds of neat stuff. The Street was my home defense weapon for several years until the reclassification by ATF. I was in California when the reclassification happened. I was scared to death that I was going to loose the gun because CA would never let me keep it as a DD. When I called the San Bernardino Sheriff's office, they were like, no problem, under California law it is still just a shotgun. So for several year in CA I had a DD, wonder how many people can say that?

Mine is in good condition, but it has been used.

BWE Firearms

UZI Talk Life Member
To deal in DDs you need at least a DD dealers license. ATF has in the past let non DD NFA dealers handle the transfer of one or two DD transfers a year. I do not know if they are still allowing that. I have transferred a couple of DDs over the years without a DD license.

If an NFA item is on a form4 the transfer tax needs to be paid to transfer it, even to an NFA dealer. I just bought an MP40 and I have to pay the transfer tax. I am an 07/02.

GaGunner

UZI Talk Supporter
Zombie Thread + 1. As you can see from the dates, I ask about this in Aug in LAST year. I finally got around to talking to ATF about this. I can transfer the Street Sweeper in state from seller (me) to buyer (the lucky person) via form 4 just like other NFA items. Out of state it must go to a Dealer in Destructive devices, except ATF will grant an expectation via a letter. The person I spoke to said the Dealer should request permission (and get it) prior to receiving the DD (Street Sweeper) from me. I am including a link to another UZItalk thread that goes into much more detail on this. Now the question is, since it took me over a year to get around to getting my "official answer", how long will it be before I actually try to sell the Street Sweeper? I actually have not idea. Because I am now thinking, I should play with it one more time before I sell. Here is the link:

root

UZI Talk Supporter
Def play around with it a bit and be sure.
You don't want sellers remorse.

I was thinking of letting a gun go I hadn't touched in oh say 12 years.

My youngest (13 years old ) got his 1st look at it last week and new just what it was due to the on line war games he plays.
He was very excited and enthused to see it and know I own it.

For now I'll keep it for him to shoot and if his interest is held he can have it when he is of age.

Eliminates two things.
Him trying to save for something I paid next to nothing for 25 years ago if he does like it that much.
Me the hassle of selling it.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter