T.A.S.K conversion

Brockak47

As the time gets nearer and nearer I am thinking about my mac again. I really think I will be going the TASK route as opposed to a Lage upper since I don't want to wait for Lage's upper or pay a premium price for a used one (dont worry I however have been on the M11/22 waiting list).

My main question though are there shops that offer it as a service or is it more of a DIY project? If shops do offer it would the cost be around the price as a used lage slowfire upper? The main benefit I see from lage's product is his CS and the ability to retain the use of a folding or collapsible stock.

Thanks

ctbreitwieser

Its a pretty simple project to do yourself. Just drill the hole in your receiver (man, that made me cringe when I wrote that), and tap the rear of the bolt. I've got a TASK m11/9. I like it a lot, but it was converted when I got it. I've played around with it to try and get it as slow as possible, but its still a little fast for my liking. I think I'm gonna try a rifle length tube and buffer next to see how that does. If I was buying one stock though, id just get the lage, and then save the stock upper for a dedicated M11/22 upper.

9mmsubgun-m11

UZI Talk Life Member
If I were you,and yes I was once at the point you are at now,I would get on Lages list for for a MAX-11 and or a MAX-31 upper. I would not drill the hole for the TASK conversion when I could have my choice of Lages badass uppers. Patience young grasshopper,patience.

AmishEskimoNinja

^Agreed. You'll significantly lower the value of your machine gun if you drill the hole in it. And there's really not much a task does that a MAX11 doesn't. The primary reason people still have TASKs is that they bought them before the MAX11 was available.

As I understand it, the wait list isn't even that long anyway.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Jim Weaver was part of the original TriAd Shooting Klub where the TASK conversion was conceived and perfected. Jim is still offering the TASK conversion, but it wouldnt be my first choice today with so many other options available.

I sat down and talked to Monty Mendenhall about five years ago and he told me if the Lage upper had been available in the late 1990s, the TASK slow fire conversion would have never been invented. I like the TASK conversion, but its your Money and your call...

http://cncgunsparts.com/task_slowfire_conversions

Last edited:

medphys

UZI Talk Life Member
^Agreed. You'll significantly lower the value of your machine gun if you drill the hole in it. And there's really not much a task does that a MAX11 doesn't. The primary reason people still have TASKs is that they bought them before the MAX11 was available.

As I understand it, the wait list isn't even that long anyway.

That's not exactly all true.

The TASK setups have a very different feel to them compared to the MAX11. Although I would bet that the MAX31 has a similar feel to the TASK, it's length isn't for everyone.

The TASK has it's advantages and the MAX uppers have theirs.

And remember that the hole can be filled in and the gun refinished.

Do it. You'll learn a hell of a lot about your gun along the way too.

A&S Conversions

UZI Talk Life Member
My plan is to have Jim do my RPB M10/9 with a Uzi magwell conversion to a TASK set up. Jim said the basic TASK conversion would run $400 plus shipping. The reason I'm going the TASK route is the S.A.B.R.E. 5.56X45 upper. I sent Jim the specs that the AA upper would need to make it work with the M10. He seemed to think that he could make his TASK conversion of my pistol caliber uppers compatible with the AA upper specs. Don't get me wrong. The Lage upper is a quality piece. I plan to eventually buy one. But if you plan to add the rifle caliber upper, you'll have to have the hole to make it work. YMMV.

BTW, I'm planning to use the MGI buffer in a CAR stock. I like the idea of adjustable length of pull of the CAR stock. I think the MGI buffer is actually heavier than the standard rifle buffer.

Scott

Shattered

I have all of them on different guns, a T.A.S.K. upper on an M-11/9 that I did myself, a Lage M31A on a 380 "small" magwell gun, an AA upper on another M11/9 and a bone stock M-10/9. I like them all for different reasons.

Go with the heaviest buffer you can find for the T.A.S.K. upper... or have one made. Mine is sporting a solid tungsten rifle buffer at just over a full pound. it actually needs hot ammo to achieve 450-500 rpm. I think it's actually a bit too slow and intend to remove some weight.

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Due to the large size of the available slow fire uppers for the M-10, a TASK converted fat MAC has my interest. I'm excited to see and shoot your TASK converted RPB after Jim completes the work.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter