Ultrasonic cleaners

azjp

Does anyone have any experience with ultrasonic firearm cleaning equipment?

I am considering purchasing one, but don't know much about it.

Thanks

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
azjp, welcome to UZI Talk.

I can't give you any first hand feedback on ultrasonic cleaners but I can tell you this. I know a guy who is a top notch jeweler. He knows a lot about ultrasonic cleaners and he swears by it for cleaning guns. I think it's worth looking into.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I have an LR Quantrex I use for Ultrasonic cleaning works GREAT!
Just do NOT use ultrasonics on aluminum.

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
amphibian, tell us a little about your setup. How large a part can you get in it? What sort of cleaning solution do you use in it? How long does it take to clean parts?

stymie

FFL/C&R, UZI Talk Life Member,
Simple Green...

works pretty well in an ultra-sonic cleaner & is safe for most materials.

dan d.

Amphibian, what happens to aluminum? Don't some of the Ultrasonic cleaners also lub at the same time?

azjp

I have sent price list requests to L&R and Crest Ultrasonics so far. I haven't heard anything yet from them.

This sounds like the best way to clean guns....
Its the one thing that takes me the most time and the least amount of fun.

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Doc Dater (of Gemtech) on Subguns.com. He talks about the use of ultrasonics on aluminum:

The finish on the raptor is hard black anodize, not some type paint. Our cleaning recomendation is to not make any attempt to clean the suppressor or (if you feel compelled to do so) immerse the suppressor in something like a mixture of mineral spirits and automatic transmission fluid, primarily to slosh out the powder residues.

The test to check performance of an ultrasonic cleaner is to place a 1 inch square of aluminum foil in the tank for 15 seconds. At the end of that time, there should be at least 10 holes in the foil.

Many commercial ultrasonic cleaning solutions, all of which are water based, contain strong alkalies (some have weak acids), which will dissolve aluminum. If you absolutely must use this kind of device, do so for very short periods and use water with only a couple of drops of either Lemon Fresh Joy liquid dishwashing detergent or Downy liquid fabric softener to reduce the surface tension of the water. DO NOT USE ANYTHING ANY HARSHER!!!

Our demo Raptors, some of which have been in service for over 8 years have NEVER been cleaned other than having to re-lubricate the mount twice. We have Raptors in service with documented round counts over 125,000 without any cleaning.

There is no need whatsoever to immersion clean the Raptor. Doing so will hasten the need to service the mount, including replacing the O-rings and re-lubing the moving parts.

If you need to talk to us about your suppressor, we can be reached at 208-939-7222 weekdays 9-5 Mountain time.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Yes, I was first warned about using the ultrasonic with aluminum from Doctor Dater.
A friend of mine that is ex-military was telling me the same thing that they were told not to put aluminum in an ultrasonic as it makes it "porous".
I had put some in there before and sure enough the aluminum did get a "porous" and seemed brittle as it broke easily.
I also use simple green.
I also have some of the very expensive ammoniated solvent from LR designed explicitly for ultrasonic use. I corked up both ends of my AWC MarkII Amphibian and it was shiny inside when done.

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
The jeweler I know recommends using a 50% solution of Windex, which would also have some ammonia. He says it works just as good as the expensive stuff the ultrasonic manufacturers sell.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I have found that the best for just about any kind of metal is Slip2000's gas piston parts and choke cleaner.
I posted about this on the suppressor page a long time ago. Osprey21 also had favorable results too.
There website is:
http://www.slip2000.com
I got some at last years Shot Show.
My Gemtech Hornet can be disassembled partially and I soaked it in there and was amazed to see how well it breaks down carbon. I do have before after pics but need to find them on my computer at home. I hear Gemtech themselves is now using this stuff. It doesn't get everything out but it is VERY good. You don't need an ultrasonic cleaner to use it. Just submerge the part in it and shake it up every now and then.
I had put the spacer bushing from the inside of Gemtech Hornet in it over night not expecting much. As the reps told me to try it and gave me a small bottle that could fit the bushing. The next morning A LOT had come off. I normally have to chisel the carbon off. The next day, I went back to the Shot Show and bought a bunch of it.
This stuff also smells good and is biodegradeable.

dustindu4

UZI Talk Life Member
Re: Simple Green...

stymie said:
works pretty well in an ultra-sonic cleaner & is safe for most materials.

But how do you rinse it off when you're done? Not crazy about using water.

azjp

I got retail prices from one ultrasonic cleaner vendor, and another is coming. They are rather high.....
I was afraid of that.... I have seen small jewelry versions going for over $300.
The lowest priced one so far that is suitable for a few handguns and maybe one subgun (a short one) is about $1900 .... whoa!!

Any suggestions???

dustindu4

UZI Talk Life Member
The one I just got (was real cheap) is just a hair too short to fit my uzi receiver in. Damn! I can dip it half in and half out and just swap it though.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter