Update to UZITALKers Electronic Earmuffs

yzfchet

UZI Talk Instigator, UZI Talk Life Member,
Hi You All,

I have searched the archived threads and read customer reviews on Amazon and other sites for electronic earmuffs available on the market and I can't see a really good usable design with good dB reduction that is reliable. My initial goal was to stay under $100.00/set but is this an unrealistic goal?

The Peltor 6S Tactical muffs that were made some years back seem to have a lot of fans on this Forum but reading other site reviews of the same model purchased in the last year or two and it appears 3M shipped assembly to China or something - terrible reviews on many counts.

Based on your experiences of electronic earmuffs purchased in the last 2 years or so, would you kindly voice your electronic earmuff for noisy shooting recommendations and the pro/con aspects of your choices?

Thanks.

-Chet

Pat M

UZI Talk Supporter
I had 2 sets of the basic Peltor electronic phones crap out , have gone with the Howard Lights and am very happy (they have auto shut off to save batteries & a mic jack for radio input) for same or less price.

ddmau

I've tried three or four different electronic muffs (including the Peltors) and really didn't think they were worth the money ... too bulky and too hot (important in Florida), but thats just my personal opinion. I don't like sweat dripping down my neck when I'm shooting.

I had a set of custom molded earplugs made a few years ago, and never looked back. You can get them made with electronics if you wish, but that's not really necessary....if they are fitted right, you can carry on a normal conversation (within a couple of feet), but still be isolated from louder noises.

jt526

UZI Talk Life Member
Howard leights are the best bang for the buck i think. But sordins are nicer but way more expensive.

Mark.n.chip

UZI Talk Life Member
Staying under $100 is unrealistic. My opinion, Pro Ears is the only way to go but pricey $328. Pro Ears.com. Be smart. You have only what god gave you for hearing don't screw it up going cheap on ear protection. I have had mine for 8 years that I can remember and have been entirely satisfied. Us made product s well!

Vegas SMG

UZI Talk Life Member,
Ive started using these ones from IMPACT.

http://www.howardleight.com/ear-muffs/impact-sport--2

They have been working great for over 3 years. Comfortable, low profile and not very heavy.
I've got two pairs of those and IMHO, they aren't nearly as comfortable for my head/ear shape as the two pair of Peltor S6s I've had for six or seven years. I also get more unwanted ambient and wind noise from the Howard Leights. Upside is they use half the number of batteries as the Peltors.

The Peltors dual switches seem easy to turn on, maybe too easy, and I've found them accidently turned on and dead inside my range bag more times than i can remember. I don't recall the Howard Leights being turned on by jostling around my bag even once. Both are "low profile" so there's no issue with check welds and head sets that are too large as with some other brands.

Our desert climates are similar and I don't find them too sweaty or swampy in the summer, although I've admittidly turned into a fair weather shooter. We have too many great days for me to be cooking in 110+ degree summer heat. Our prime ahooting season is here right now! I hope you're able to get out and bust some caps.

I don't have recent Peltor buying experience as you've requested, but based on the old pairs I own versus the two pair of four year old Howard Leights, I'd go Peltor, no question, hands down. I've used them literally many hundreds of times. Three to four matches each month in addition to casual plinking.

I'm a huge fan of electronic muffs and my next pair will be a high end set.

Mark.n.chip

UZI Talk Life Member
Look at the nrr- noise reduction rating, they aren't worth a damn. You can not ever get back any lost hearing go with pro ears

Ben Dover

UZI Talk Life Member
Pro-Ears get's my vote.

I also have a Custom Molded ear plugs that I like a lot.

Have been toying w/ the idea of taking my Bose noise cancelling headset to the range, but haven't found the time...

yzfchet

UZI Talk Instigator, UZI Talk Life Member,
Thanks for all the feedback and opinions. This sort of discussion really provides the data for making informed decisions. It sounds like there's no argument about ProEars being the shits, just that they are expensive. It appears that active earmuffs are yet another venue where you "get what you pay for". So maybe I should spend $50 - 60/pair for some H.L.s or Peltors and hope they're good enough. It not, raid the retirement account and get some $300 ProEars.

Thanks again. Keep on opining, though. Can't have too much info on a subject affecting us all. :thumbs_up

MrM4

FFL 07/02, UZI Talk Life Member,
Theres always a pair of muffs getting kicked around in the truck or getting laid somewhere in the shop or soem one forgets theirs so they borrow mine so I think I will stick with a pair of 50-60 dollar muffs, Id hate to lose or break a set of $300 muffs. I really like the 4 hour shut off on the IMPACT muffs, more times then not I forget to shut off my muffs.

Roaster72

UZI Talk Supporter
My first set of electronic muffs, a gift, were walker game ears much like these.

http://www.amazon.com/Walkers-Game-...d=1354288728&sr=1-18&keywords=walker+game+ear

There's a lot to like about them but also a drawback. They have good noise reduction on everything, full auto, bmg, shotguns. They also have an amplification circuit for hunting that is great. I no longer wear them hunting as my oldest (Mr. I Can't Shut The Fuck Up In The Woods) now comes along. The drawback, at least with my set, is that they take N cell batteries which are pricey. They also have no auto shut off and I am lucky to remember half the time to turn them off.

I now am using these that my wife bought me for using during bushogging.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-WorkTunes-...=1354289556&sr=1-2&keywords=peltor+work+tunes

Some nice classical music effectively tunes out the blah blah blah dickwagging that is constantly spouted on busy days at the private range where I shoot.

THM7

UZI Talk Supporter
I would recommend Sordin MSA supreme pros. They have been the best I have tried so far.

arch stanton

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
Wisconsin-Indonesia-Thailand Live @ The Blue Note
So I currently use a pair of Peltor Swat Tac muffs 20nrr I wanted a bit more nrr so I bought a set of Pro Ears Gold Tac muffs. I used them today and did not notice much diff between the two however the pair I bought use 123 lithium batteries and they seem to keep the split foam that is inside the muff pushed out. The customer service lady stated that is how they are so its a large battery. I can send these in and get the N size battery which is smaller. What do you think? The lady stated the 123s are for police and military use all of their stuff takes lithium. Anyway I would rather have a longer battery life but I dont think it will matter much even thought the 123s are larger in volts they dump power faster than the N size. Also the way the batteries go in through the split foam seems hoaky.

Joe

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter