UZI 9mm Suppressor

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Amphibian,
What rear end cap is that????!!!
I need one like it. I have the Bixler now.
I messaged Curtis about making one for the Micro but didnt receive a return reply.

Friend of a friend made it for me. I gave him an extra barrel nut I had which was TIG welded to a custom mount to interface with the MK9K.

Karateboss

Threading

I have a micro uzi. I just bought a dead air sandman. Threads don’t match. Suggestions? New barrel or adapter?

trilogymac

UZI Talk Supporter
Is a sandman for 9mm or 30 cal?
A quick search yielded 30 cal?
Don't think I'd be shooting .356 thru a .308 suppressor.
Bad things will happen.

RoverDave

Administrator
Staff member
In addition to what trilogymac said, remember that the Micro UZI has different barrel nut threads than the full size and Mini UZI. If a suppressor says it has "UZI Threads", you should assume it's the full size UZI and won't fit the Micro UZI.

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I dug up the old video I had from 2009 when my MK9K sheared apart on my Micro.
I'll try to upload the video but here is a still from it.
Mk9k-Micro-fail-2009.png

SecondAmend

I dug up the old video I had from 2009 when my MK9K sheared apart on my Micro.
I'll try to upload the video but here is a still from it.
Mk9k-Micro-fail-2009.png

This is the way the silencer ends. This is the way the silencer ends. This is the way the silencer ends. Not with a whimper but a bang.
With apologies to t.s. eliot

mattnh

UZI Talk Life Member
Pretty wild to catch that failure on video
I liked your open vs closed micro video as well!

strobro32

UZI Talk Life Member
I bought me Mk9K on Amphibian's suggestion to use on the M11/9. I really liked the can. My Mk9K broke at the same place in the can because of the high ROF combined with a poor barrel threading job.

3915063075_a157c9d7d9.jpg

I even shot the can in the air.

3905295780_ec1727d40c_z.jpg

BTW, this can was stolen so if anybody sees this mark on an MK9k, please let me know. :)

Last edited:

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Big cans are better. ;)

Yeah...I would never buy a Wolfman or any welded pistol caliber can.
While the MK9K core failed, it did in a 'good way'.

I posted this on AR15.com, "Oh..one more thing I forgot to add...I remember talking to Dr. Dater back in the day and he was telling me about the MK9 and MK9K design before '86 and there were concerns that silencers would be prohibited from future transfers to individuals like what happened to machine guns back then.
The MK9K design being a tube within a tube meant it was highly unlikely that the outer tube would be damaged from a baffle strike. The outer tube is serialized, has no threads and just sits there in compression from the end caps.
The failure occurred in the exact manner that Dr Dater anticipated, the core would be dumped downrange with no damage to the serialized outer tube. Actually no baffle strikes either but that is besides the point. The main point is the serialized part was unscathed."

Now contrast that with a welded can design. It is going to require re-welding it to fix and possibly it may not be fixable at all.

Also put the picture below on my site, detailing how Curtis Tactical does the same thing with his other other cans where the tube isn't threaded either.

45-re-core.png

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
Amphibian,
Isnt the CT recore for the mk9k all stainless?

Yes it is. Also bear in mind he can do a re-core as a 'CT9KS' which even though it will be a 17-4 SS baffle core it is lighter than the MK9K since it is shorter and his design eliminates the need for an inner tube since the baffles are then threaded together.

MK9K-vs-CurtisTacticalCustom.jpg

https://c3junkie.com/?page_id=244

amphibian

UZI Talk Life Member
I bought me Mk9K on Amphibian's suggestion to use on the M11/9. I really liked the can. My Mk9K broke at the same place in the can because of the high ROF combined with a poor barrel threading job.

3915063075_a157c9d7d9.jpg

I even shot the can in the air.

3905295780_ec1727d40c_z.jpg

BTW, this can was stolen so if anybody sees this mark on an MK9k, please let me know. :)

I presume you had Gemtech re-core it after it blew apart before it was stolen?
Curious what they said. They told me that I exceeded the cyclic rate it was rated for when I told them it blew up on my Micro and I asked where is the stated max cyclic rate in the manual and then they replaced it at no charge since it wasn't documented anywhere.
How did the bad thread job influence the failure? Was it misaligned and what actually happened was a baffle strike?

I think there were more failures of MK9K's of batches when they brought them back into production as I think they cut the threads too deep around the ports.

In my picture below, the one in the middle I had custom made with a larger diameter around the ports to prevent what happened to me. However, you will notice that the Phoenix is now built the same way and I think I recall seeing some pictures of late MK9K's before Gemtech was bought out by SW where they also beefed up this area.

MK9K-vs-CurtisTacticalCustom.jpg

Regardless, the Curtis Tactical CT9KS is all SS and rated for full auto 300BLK as well as being able to handle 556 from a 16" barrel so highly doubt it will fail in the same area.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter