UZI or MAC?

hlake

Hello,

I am in the market for a FA 9mm subgun. Which would you choose? An UZI or MAC?

I am mostly interested in durability of each weapon and if spare parts are available.

I have shot both SMGs (although not a MAC with Lage upper) and like both.

All replies are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your expertise and time.

ScottinTexas

UZI Talk Life Member
You can buy two Macs for the price of an Uzi.

New metal Mac mags are at least twice the cost of Uzi mags.

Plenty of parts available for both.

Lage uppers pretty much required for Macs, in my opinion.

I bought a RR Uzi - rather have that than a registered bolt.

M11/9 is my Mac choice. Most versatile / upper options.

Just my opinion but my money is where my mouth is.

mike_phoenix

Yes, an UZI and/or MAC.
Both platforms are durable and spare parts are plentiful and very reasonably priced.
If you have the money get the UZI. If you are only interested in 9mm, the registered bolts are cheaper. (Approx $10,000 today's price)
The sights on the UZI are better than the sights on original MAC uppers. The UZI shoots slower.

If you are looking to do more customizing get the MAC11/9mm. Richard Lage has completely changed the game for the MAC11/9mm.
With the Lage upper, the MACs shoot and feel like an UZI (Just my opinion). The Lage uppers slows the cycle rate down to about 750 like an UZI and the sight radius is extended like an UZI.

I have both and enjoy and shoot both. I bought the UZI first because of the love for it. I got the MAC10/45 second because I wanted one and they are the most affordable subguns.

MG34_Dan

Hello,
I am in the market for a FA 9mm subgun. Which would you choose? An UZI or MAC?
I am mostly interested in durability of each weapon and if spare parts are available.
I have shot both SMGs (although not a MAC with Lage upper) and like both.
All replies are appreciated. Thanks in advance for your expertise and time.
What is your budget?

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
i had a choice between the 2 an chose the UZI (also considered a Mk90)

i looked at values...the uzi has gone up in price significantly more over the years, while Mac's have gone up a fraction.........also from watching utube video's it seems like the UZI is controllable and the Mac is a bullet hose......the UZI is a military designed and used weapon....the MAC is a Miami Vice designed and used weapon (im joking)

$$= do you want a mid level FA or a starter level FA???

i see many,many NIB MAC's.......there is no shortage thats for sure....

have you looked at the MK90???....its a different weapon for sure, but i find it interesting....there's been a NIB one on GB for months......i did make an offer once....they are a similar price to the MAC, reviews say it isnt as reliable.....but i think to some people the unusual look would attract them.....i may get one at some point

~Josh

Banned
My subgun experience is limited to macs, Uzi, Thompson, mp5, and colt 635. With that being said...

Macs can be great but need a few mods.... I've got an M11/9 with a cf-w slowfire bolt (stock bolt with the back half made of heavy tungsten) and its just as slow and controllable as a Lage but in a more compact/factory package. I've fixed the wire stock so it won't fold up while firing (yikes) , metal magazines, and had to adjust the feed ramp to make it reliable, also a red-dot sight since the factory peeps are a joke... but now honestly it's more desirable to me as I've got it set than any other subgun aside from the $30k+ mp5.

Very compact
ry%3D400

bigmacster

UZI Talk Supporter
The CF-W bolt is a game changer for the Mac platform. I have the Black Widow upper setup with the CF-W bolt and a Practical Solutions folding stock. I can put any kind of optic and sight I want on it and It's no bigger then Josh's. It's one of the most compact controllable SMG you can buy. If I wanted to go big ass drum fed I can get a Lage upper for it. Rare but 223 and 7.62 X 39 uppers exist for it and something will probably get made again. When You buy a Mac you are buying a modular platform. I'm waiting on a M11a1 in NFA Jail. The UZI is a great SMG bit what it is not is a modular platform. Just my 2 cents.

bigmacster

UZI Talk Supporter
If a CF-W bolt ever got made for a Micro Uzi I might change my mind. :D

Old Soldier

I own both. If you had asked me before I got the Lage upper, I would have said get the UZI. With the Lage upper, it is a completely differnent weapons system. I just got the Lage and I upgraded my M11/9 with the Lage Sear and Triggerr. I plan on using it instead of my UZI in our Subgun competitions. I suspect that the Max 31 MK2 will provide an advantage. Maybe, I will shoot both at the next match for a comparison?

Pat,
Ps, I wonder if any goverments would have chosen the Max 31 MK 2 for police or military had it been around in the age of the Subgun?

thompson4433

I sold a 9mm MAC10 and an M11/9 to buy my UZI

UZIs and MACs have both just about doubled in price since 2012

Why did I sell the MACs?

Well, I had no complaints about the MACs, but a MAC is a MAC and an UZI is an UZI.

The UZI is a legendary, iconic, highly desired gun among gun collectors and the MAC is not.

klyph12

I also have both - I have never fired my M 11 with the stock 9 mm upper, I did shoot it with a Lage 22 kit installed - what I noticed at that time - you have to be very careful not to get your support hand near the muzzle, which is a concern if you let beginners shoot it. When I bought my M11 it came with a Lage Max 11 upper and have since purchased a Max 31 upper, red dot sights for both uppers, lots of other accessories and multiple cases of ammo, all for less than the price of an Uzi -- the Max 11 is faster to reload (with the Lage thumb mag release installed) but more mag sensitive (M 11 mags are harder to load than Uzi mags)

Uzi -- takes a touch longer to reload, new shooters have trouble with the grip safety and it is heavier than the Max 11 Mk II.
Quick change barrel on the Uzi and simplicity of field stripping make it easy to clean and to change from optics to irons -- are just some of the things I prefer on the Uzi.

All that being said - I still reach the Uzi first now days (it is my latest addition which probably has an influence) unless I want/need mag capacity then the Max 31 get the call, just got the Lage Mk II a couple of weeks ago but it does fell just as good as the Uzi

If price is a concern go with the M 11 with Lage upper (I have never dealt with a group than Richard and Jackie Lage) if you want the military history get the Uzi better yet GET BOTH

greenpeas

UZI Talk Life Member
For an "as is" gun the Uzi wins hands down. All the Lage goodies makes the m11/9 an attractive option.

I shoot 9mm & .45 out of my Uzi and my M11/9 runs .22lr mostly. I sometimes run a magazine or two of 9mm with the OEM upper for giggles.

The ROF on an m11/9 with a "buffered-up" stock upper is a thing of beauty.

Last edited:

subgunner

No doubt with all the aftermarket upgrades an M11 is very attractive for the money. For durability an Uzi wins hands down at double the price. So if money isn't a factor I would get an Uzi. My bias is based on having owned am M10/45 and M11/9 with TASK slow fire conversion. I just couldn't love either one. My .02 YMMV

hlake

Thanks to all for your excellent posts. I can spend about 14k without getting too nervous. I recently saw a Vector Uzi NIB for sale on Spiwak's website.
Again, thanks to all.

MG34_Dan

Thanks to all for your excellent posts. I can spend about 14k without getting too nervous. I recently saw a Vector Uzi NIB for sale on Spiwak's website.
Again, thanks to all.

Why not spend just a tad more and get an AR15 conversion? That way you will have the ultimate in flexibility. With various conversion kits, you'll be good to go with everything from .22lr up to 300 Blackout. If you can have only one full auto weapon, get an M16/AR15 conversion.

RMA

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter