UZI or MAC?

mike_phoenix

There are certain Mac fans that seem place a high value on the fact that you have options for "Dress Up" (thanks to Lage Manufacturing) which make it a quite a unique weapon.
That is not me. I own both but favor the UZI because it is clearly superior.

I have love for the UZI and it is my first submachine gun.
In it's original form I agree the UZI is superior. I own all 3 MACs (45acp, 9mm, and 380). Also with Lage uppers.
MACs with Lage uppers are winning Subgn matches. I've competed with Uzi's and Macs and placed about the same.
However, why do you feel the UZI is still superior to the MAC with a Lage upper?
Please define what you feel is superior.

softaildeluxe

Banned
I have love for the UZI and it is my first submachine gun.
In it's original form I agree the UZI is superior. I own all 3 MACs (45acp, 9mm, and 380). Also with Lage uppers.
MACs with Lage uppers are winning Subgn matches. I've competed with Uzi's and Macs and placed about the same.
However, why do you feel the UZI is still superior to the MAC with a Lage upper?
Please define what you feel is superior.

I do not have the speaking skills or engineering expertise to explain the superior design or superior materials application of the UZI.
There may be some technical experts who can explain it. There may also be some who could explain the science behind my higher failure rate with the MAC even with the Lage
upper.

MY field research concludes UZI's JAM LESS and has formed my opinion in favor of the UZI.

CoffeeFreak

UZI Talk Life Member
I owned them both. I did have to tune them both to run reliably. The ROFs of my tuned guns were pretty similar. The UZI was very ammunition sensitive and only ran the hotter stuff reliably. Choked on the lighter stuff. The UZI loved the HOT Egyptian corrosive military surplus I still have a boatload of and it beats the hell out of my M11/9. UZI mags are WAY easier to load. I sold my UZI a few years ago to help pay off my debt when I was retiring from the military. I miss it. Both make pretty good holes in stuff. I have other subguns. I like my M11/9 with the slowfire bolt probably as much as the UZI. Investment wise, 30 years ago I paid half as much for the M11/9 as I did for the UZI and they are selling for twice the M11/9 price now so the return is about the same on your investment. Zmags have really helped the M11/9. Way better then the Madison mags I was using. So I like them both and you are not going to stop at just one. We never do so buy whatever you can afford. I have a feeling sooner or later you will end up with the other one also.

frankle951

UZI Talk Supporter
I own both, I sold the Mac-10, I still have my mini uzi and a micro uzi, I would never sell my two uzi, I had a mac-11, but the uzi is more fun to shoot, and at the gun range, it gets a lot of attention over the mac-11 or mac-10.

rescue161

I noticed the same at the range too. More people recognize the Uzi over the M10. Especially with the Lage upper.

mike_phoenix

I own both, I sold the Mac-10, I still have my mini uzi and a micro uzi, I would never sell my two uzi, I had a mac-11, but the uzi is more fun to shoot, and at the gun range, it gets a lot of attention over the mac-11 or mac-10.

Yes, the UZI is recognized more. I can't say it's more fun to shoot. The M11-A1 in 380 is also a nice and neat little package.
The 380 has a milder recoil and it suppresses well. A female range master near by prefers my M11-A1 in 380.
Also the M11-A1 can shoot 9mm with a Lage upper. Both the UZI and the Mac would be an excellent choice.

If you want a gun that will be recognized at the gun range and has more history get the UZI.
If you want a gun for the enjoyment of shooting either will do as long as you get the Mac with a Lage upper.

You should just save up more money and get both. Once you are bitten there is no cure.

ChuckB

No one recognizes an M11 and uses the name unless they are a gun nerd. The closest you will get is 9mm Mac, which really narrows it down little since the M10, 11a1 and 11 were all technically offered in 9mm variants (a1 = 9mmKurz).

PDXsparky

UZI Talk Supporter
I'd really be happy to own an Uzi, even a register bolt. I've settled for an IMI model B in semi-auto. For the price of 1 Uzi I have a M11/9 and a MAC10/45. I'd also like to get an M11-A1, but that won't happen until I go back to work.

mike_phoenix

The registered UZI bolt is my first subgun and I still enjoy shooting it.
It is a B&G registered bolt and it runs flawless. I know the registered receivers are more desired,
but if you are only going to shoot 9mm it shouldn't be over looked.

With the price difference you save on a registered UZI bolt instead of a registered UZI receiver
you are at least half way to the price of your MAC. That way you can get both and don't have to decide.

FAL

The registered UZI bolt is my first subgun and I still enjoy shooting it.
It is a B&G registered bolt and it runs flawless. I know the registered receivers are more desired,
but if you are only going to shoot 9mm it shouldn't be over looked.

With the price difference you save on a registered UZI bolt instead of a registered UZI receiver
you are at least half way to the price of your MAC. That way you can get both and don't have to decide.

I have a B&G bolt too and agree that it's a great option. A lot of people seem to prefer the registered receiver but the bolt shouldn't be overlooked. I haven't had any issues with mine running in the 2 host guns that I have...it's been great.

I also have 4 MACs, so there's that too...

I don't think you can go wrong with either one...they're both great guns and fun to shoot.

TonyM

I personally love both guns, I went with the M11 mostly for financial reasons, but would love to own an uzi as well, in particular, the Mini is appealing to me.

But the reason I came to this thread is to share this story:

My wife is completely neutral in her view of guns IE; she thinks they are fun to shoot, believes in the 2nd amendment, but has no particular desire to own one for herself, and despite a decade together, couldn't tell you the difference between a Glock and a revolver.

A while ago, she had the opportunity to fire a number of subguns. I didn't have any of mine with me, as it was a last minute trip and there was no time for a F20. She fired a full size Uzi, an M11/9mm with a Lage upper, and a sterling. Her favorite was the sterling, but the Lage equipped M11 was a close second. She had no concept of the prices of the guns, and her preference was based solely on her shooting experience. She liked shooting all of them, but the Uzi was the only one she declined to shoot a second magazine through, I asked why, and she said it was 'too slow for how heavy it is".

She told me if I was going to buy one, I should buy either a sterling, or an M11. When I told her I already bought an M11 and was waiting on the transfer, she said "oh... good choice". :silly

komodoj

UZI Talk Life Member
She's a KEEPER!!!!!! :)))))

I personally love both guns, I went with the M11 mostly for financial reasons, but would love to own an uzi as well, in particular, the Mini is appealing to me.

But the reason I came to this thread is to share this story:

My wife is completely neutral in her view of guns IE; she thinks they are fun to shoot, believes in the 2nd amendment, but has no particular desire to own one for herself, and despite a decade together, couldn't tell you the difference between a Glock and a revolver.

A while ago, she had the opportunity to fire a number of subguns. I didn't have any of mine with me, as it was a last minute trip and there was no time for a F20. She fired a full size Uzi, an M11/9mm with a Lage upper, and a sterling. Her favorite was the sterling, but the Lage equipped M11 was a close second. She had no concept of the prices of the guns, and her preference was based solely on her shooting experience. She liked shooting all of them, but the Uzi was the only one she declined to shoot a second magazine through, I asked why, and she said it was 'too slow for how heavy it is".

She told me if I was going to buy one, I should buy either a sterling, or an M11. When I told her I already bought an M11 and was waiting on the transfer, she said "oh... good choice". :silly

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter