Volunteer Commando Mark 45 Magazine Questions

pjm204

Does anyone happen to have a Volunteer Enterprises Commando Mark 45 that could snap a few pics or measurements of their magazine? This is the model that uses Thompson magazines, not Grease gun. I need to determine the size/location of the catch. Just won one from an auction but no magazines. I thought it was the Grease gun model but nope.

cvasqu03

UZI Talk Supporter
Wow, you just brought back bad memories of having to sell some guns. I had to sell one three years ago while unemployed, though come to think of it I think I kept a whole bunch of the mags that I used with it (still hoping to someday buy a Thompson).

Bottom line is you just have to use semi-auto Thompson mags. These have an oval shaped hole on the back instead of a round one. Actually, I think I once bought a bunch of the full auto ones with the round hole and all I had to do was file the top of the hole to make it a bit more elongated and then they worked perfectly after that. The gun.....well, that's a different story. It was always very reliable, and fairly accurate, but the cheap construction always bothered me and the grip left a lot to be desired. I was also never able to field strip it as it was stuck together so hard I was afraid of breaking it taking it apart so I always just cleaned the barrel, then cleaned out the body by spraying it with break cleaner until it came out clean, then I sprayed BreakFree CLP into it using the little hose. It never failed to fire though.

For those of you not familiar, the way this rifle is built is basically like they took the receiver from those bb machine guns from the fair and made it into an actual firearm. I bought mine really cheap from a local gun shop that was known for being overpriced. Everyone familiar with the shop told me that if I'd bought it for that little, someone must have paid them to take it. :)

If you do try to do the modification yourself, just disassemble the mags and stick the body in, then file a little at a time, re-inserting it repeatedly as you go along. Once you have it just barely locking into place when you push it in hard, file a little more to make it reliable, then clean it up and re-assemble the mags. It's really not that hard.

BTW, I did manage to get a hold of an original manual once and scanned it so if you want a copy, I can send it to you. Just PM me.

pjm204

Thanks for the response, sorry to bring up bad memories! I'm going to pick up a USGI mag or two and I'll try to get the hole opened up properly. Mine came as a package deal with a Demro Tac-1. I wasn't super interested in the Volunteer but had to buy both. I agree, the grip is awful. Maybe I'll make a replacement without the finger grooves and keep the stock one in the safe.

Huskerfan!

Wow, you just brought back bad memories of having to sell some guns. I had to sell one three years ago while unemployed, though come to think of it I think I kept a whole bunch of the mags that I used with it (still hoping to someday buy a Thompson).

Bottom line is you just have to use semi-auto Thompson mags. These have an oval shaped hole on the back instead of a round one. Actually, I think I once bought a bunch of the full auto ones with the round hole and all I had to do was file the top of the hole to make it a bit more elongated and then they worked perfectly after that. The gun.....well, that's a different story. It was always very reliable, and fairly accurate, but the cheap construction always bothered me and the grip left a lot to be desired. I was also never able to field strip it as it was stuck together so hard I was afraid of breaking it taking it apart so I always just cleaned the barrel, then cleaned out the body by spraying it with break cleaner until it came out clean, then I sprayed BreakFree CLP into it using the little hose. It never failed to fire though.

For those of you not familiar, the way this rifle is built is basically like they took the receiver from those bb machine guns from the fair and made it into an actual firearm. I bought mine really cheap from a local gun shop that was known for being overpriced. Everyone familiar with the shop told me that if I'd bought it for that little, someone must have paid them to take it. :)

If you do try to do the modification yourself, just disassemble the mags and stick the body in, then file a little at a time, re-inserting it repeatedly as you go along. Once you have it just barely locking into place when you push it in hard, file a little more to make it reliable, then clean it up and re-assemble the mags. It's really not that hard.

BTW, I did manage to get a hold of an original manual once and scanned it so if you want a copy, I can send it to you. Just PM me.
I’d be interested in a copy of that manual. I too just got one in an auction. Thanks

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
Heres a thread with the earlier version with GG mag.
Got a few pics in it.

Gregv

I just bought one without the magazines. What magazines did you go with and where did u get them??

pjm204

I just bought one without the magazines. What magazines did you go with and where did u get them??
I haven't bought a magazine yet. Mine is the Thompson magazine model. The other model is grease gun mags which I hoped this used since I have those already.

cvasqu03

UZI Talk Supporter
It depends. Some take Thompson magazines and some take Grease Gun magazines. From what I've seen the Thompson ones have the little wood-like portion on the grip while the GG ones are just the same color as the receiver. I also noticed that the Thompson one had very pronounced double feed ramp to accommodate the staggered way the mags feed the bullets. I never looked down the throat of a GG one but as those mags feed from a central spot, the feed ramp is probably different.

As far as where to get them, well, you're just going to have to look around. I'd say start visiting gun shows and gun shops and asking around. Neither of these is currently being produced anymore (that I know of). You should also check Gunbroker or just do a search to see if some company has them. I managed to buy six nice ones from Centerfire systems once, but it was because they'd come upon a batch and once they were gone, that was it.

theduke

UZI Talk Life Member
In that thread above .

Early Open Bolt gun was a round rec. and GG mags
Later went to closed bolt ,square rec . Thompson mag.

Theres other info I I still got it on most all models.....its a copy paste thing and not sure on accuracy of info.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I ( not Me ) accumulated a few Commando Arms catalogs in the 1970s. Info dump:

Volunteer Enterprises, Knoxville TN
Commando Arms

Mark I was a "tommy gun" style chassis for a caliber .30 M1 carbine GI spec action and barrel with fixed buttstock
Mark II was the Mark I without a buttstock
Mark III was a .45 "tommy gun" look-alike using US .45 M3 Grease Gun magazines
Mark 9 was a 9mm Luger "tommy gun" look-alike using British 9mm Sten Gun magazines
Mark IV was the Mark I with detachable buttstock
Mark V was the Mark III redesigned for US .45 Thompson magazines

When Volunteer/Commando closed shop, James McCown opened Manchester Arms, Lenoir TN
Commando Mark 45 essentially the Commando Arms Mark V
Mini Commando Mk45 pistol was a Mark V with 5 inch barrel & no provision for a buttstock

Plainfield Machine Company (New Jersey) GI spec M1 carbines are often found dressed in the Commando Mark I or Mark IV get ups. I spotted one in police hands in a newspaper photo of a 1970s riot with flaming buildings in the background. Plainfield M1 carbines are usually found with conventional wood stocks with a metal ventilated upper hand guard. Plainfield made a "paratrooper" wood stock with vertical handgrips and a M3-style sliding wire shoulder stock; South Vietnamese officers bought a few of those in the 1960s.

The main guy at Volunteer / Commando / Manchester was James McCown who previously worked at Eagle / Spitfire / Apache in Arizona. The Spitfire was a open bolt semi-auto .45 "tommy gun" carbine with round tube receiver that used a lot of military surplus M3 Grease Gun parts including bolt and magazine. After ATF demonstrated that the Spitfire would fire full auto if the safety was pushed up as the trigger was pulled (bug or feature?) a lot of Spitfires were converted to legal machineguns and registered on NFA Form 1s. The Apache carbine was a complete redesign, square receiver and closed bolt semi-auto, sold with a 16 Jan 1969 letter from IRS Treasury assuring the re-design was not a machinegun. The Apache is very similar to the Commando Mark III.

This is what I found.

sniperdoc

UZI Talk Supporter
Does anyone know if the mags for the Semi-Auto Thompson 1927a1 will work?

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
In that thread above .

Early Open Bolt gun was a round rec. and GG mags
Later went to closed bolt ,square rec . Thompson mag.

Theres other info I I still got it on most all models.....its a copy paste thing and not sure on accuracy of info.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I ( not Me ) accumulated a few Commando Arms catalogs in the 1970s. Info dump:

Volunteer Enterprises, Knoxville TN
Commando Arms

Mark I was a "tommy gun" style chassis for a caliber .30 M1 carbine GI spec action and barrel with fixed buttstock
Mark II was the Mark I without a buttstock
Mark III was a .45 "tommy gun" look-alike using US .45 M3 Grease Gun magazines
Mark 9 was a 9mm Luger "tommy gun" look-alike using British 9mm Sten Gun magazines
Mark IV was the Mark I with detachable buttstock
Mark V was the Mark III redesigned for US .45 Thompson magazines

When Volunteer/Commando closed shop, James McCown opened Manchester Arms, Lenoir TN
Commando Mark 45 essentially the Commando Arms Mark V
Mini Commando Mk45 pistol was a Mark V with 5 inch barrel & no provision for a buttstock

Plainfield Machine Company (New Jersey) GI spec M1 carbines are often found dressed in the Commando Mark I or Mark IV get ups. I spotted one in police hands in a newspaper photo of a 1970s riot with flaming buildings in the background. Plainfield M1 carbines are usually found with conventional wood stocks with a metal ventilated upper hand guard. Plainfield made a "paratrooper" wood stock with vertical handgrips and a M3-style sliding wire shoulder stock; South Vietnamese officers bought a few of those in the 1960s.

The main guy at Volunteer / Commando / Manchester was James McCown who previously worked at Eagle / Spitfire / Apache in Arizona. The Spitfire was a open bolt semi-auto .45 "tommy gun" carbine with round tube receiver that used a lot of military surplus M3 Grease Gun parts including bolt and magazine. After ATF demonstrated that the Spitfire would fire full auto if the safety was pushed up as the trigger was pulled (bug or feature?) a lot of Spitfires were converted to legal machineguns and registered on NFA Form 1s. The Apache carbine was a complete redesign, square receiver and closed bolt semi-auto, sold with a 16 Jan 1969 letter from IRS Treasury assuring the re-design was not a machinegun. The Apache is very similar to the Commando Mark III.

This is what I found.
I have a shotgun news ad from 1978 for the commando Mk body kit that goes on the M1 carbine that is described in this clipping

root

UZI Talk Supporter
PJM204

I sent you a PM

I have 3 of the thompson mags with the elongated holes I have no need for.

nklf

UZI Talk Life Member
Wow, that brings up memories. I had a Commando Mark 45 back in 81 or 82. I bought it at a pawn shop and it was fun to shoot but required full power loads. Would jam with target loads. Long before I knew anything about SMGs so no idea what mag it took. I don't even remember when or to whom I sold it. It was a range toy and my interests went in a different direction.

If you post a WTB add for semi-auto Thompson mags you might get some at a good price. I have bought some that were represented to be SMG mags only to have Semi mags show up and the unscrupulous seller refusing to take them back. At the time I had no use for them and would have made a deal, but I have a 1927 Thompson now.

MitchWerbellsGhost87

UZI Talk Life Member
Wow, that brings up memories. I had a Commando Mark 45 back in 81 or 82. I bought it at a pawn shop and it was fun to shoot but required full power loads. Would jam with target loads. Long before I knew anything about SMGs so no idea what mag it took. I don't even remember when or to whom I sold it. It was a range toy and my interests went in a different direction.

If you post a WTB add for semi-auto Thompson mags you might get some at a good price. I have bought some that were represented to be SMG mags only to have Semi mags show up and the unscrupulous seller refusing to take them back. At the time I had no use for them and would have made a deal, but I have a 1927 Thompson now.
I thought most of those guns used grease gun mags (some use Thompson mags as well) but I am no expert on them. Just seen a lot of old ads in SGN and SOF magazine. Would love to find one of the “spitfire” open bolt varieties, (I believe those use GG mags as well) unfortunately the majority have been registered as machine guns, as required by the ATF… They go full auto if you hold the safety selector switch in the up position while pulling the trigger. Most have been converted to outright full auto since the AFT requires it either way. They were the predecessor to the Volunteer commando carbines from what I can tell. I think the earlier Commando carbines used GG mags, not sure when they switched to Thompson mags or why.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter