What suppressor calibers are a “must have” ?

cjsoccer3

Just wondering what others like.

I’ve got
-22lr
-9mm
-45acp (Viper)

The 5.56 was a waste (supersonic). I don’t regret the 9mm, but needing to mail order subsonic is a paint. Maybe I wouldn’t do it again - I don’t know. Now if you don’t have 22lr or 45acp - you are missing something and should get one.

Anything goes - hunting calibers, etc. anything you really love?

Z06

UZI Talk Life Member
.22 - 9mm - .45 - (5.56 - 300 BLK - 7.62x39 - 7.62x51 - ++ Omega 300)

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Pass on .556.

Get .30 rifle and have that and .556 covered.

For Hollywood quiet plinking .22 I’d go stainless for the dip cleaning, and from what I’ve found first round pop is non-existent in the Spectre2 versus the Sparrow.

For pistol I’d go .45 octane or griffin (octane clone) for versatility and buy the griffin 9mm endcap which fits both makes for subsonic 9mm hush shooting. Then put on the .45 endcap to minimize 9mm subgun endcap strikes.

Fulliautomatix

Pretty much what Hey... said.

A stainless .22LR (one that is rated .17 up through 5.7x28)
A .30 cal rifle rated can (one that is rated for centerfire calibers up to .300 Win Mag)
A .45 cal pistol can (one that will cover all standard pistol cartridges, and likely .300 Blackout Subsonic)
Possibly a .45 cal rifle rated can like the Hybrid or Lane Scorpion .458 that will cover .45-70 Gov, .45 Colt, .458 SOCOM and the like

wrongrecroom

I have always heard for bear basic

22lr ( better yet a 5.7 can as they will handle any 22lr out there )
308 again will handle most battel rifles
45acp as again most pistol calibers

Now a days there are lot of muilt caliber cans as noted so that is something to bear in mind

HighriseATX

UZI Talk Life Member
If I were starting over, I'd start with:

.22lr with a focus on ease of cleaning, as most full size will be pretty darn quiet with subsonic ammo.
.308 for rifle stuff. I'd go with a quick disconnect so I would not be re configuring the suppressor as I changed hosts.
45acp (here I'd suggest a modular product like the obsidian)

I'd hope the short version of a .45acp suppressor could fill the space of a short 9mm sub-gun can, which is what I use most of the time (Omega 9k).

hfoster223

Each persons situation will vary, mine definitely is 22, 9mm and 300cal., a couple of each, if possible. I have a couple of servicable 556 cans, so they could be used on 22lr

Battering ram NIB

UZI Talk Supporter,
The only one worth having is a 22lr
The sparrow is easiest to clean. I specificly chose it for its ease of cleaning
Team it with a 22/45 lite and it’s pure joy

.45 will cover all your pistol calibers ..cleaning sucks.. good for some subguns as it smooths them
Out. Some of my guns bottom out front it. Trash buffers with 100 rounds . Used on a 300 black out AR it’s absolutely amazing

223. Makes the gun sound like a star wars blaster. Really not much value other than cool factor. Very strong blowback

Maxim 9. 0 blowback. Suppresses even sonic ammo somewhat. Trigger that should never had made it past test trials and is insane that it’s on a production gun. As bad or worse than a hk vp70. Borderline non functional for any purpose. Certainly not for self defense

Last edited:

Hey...

UZI Talk Life Member
Spectre2 and Sparrow are identical in ease of cleaning with the dip.

chili17

Moderator, FFL/SOT, UZI Talk Life Member,
Staff member
The only must have suppressor to me is a .22lr. The 3 I shoot the most are: .22lr, 9mm, 30cal

Claybuster

I have 3 .22 cans, 2 .30 cal, 1 9mm, 1 .45 and a 6.5. I really only use the .22 cans anymore. I like to loan them out at the range, pretty much an instant sale. :)

b_saan

I have way more than 3 but if you can only have 3 cans, one in .22, one in .45 with multiple pistons and another in 7.62/30 cal with multiple mounts will cover everything but the heavy hitters, shotguns and funky barrels (though you can usually get those threaded).

gorillastomp

UZI Talk Life Member
I am looking into the Griffin Optimus. It does 22 LR to 300 win mag. It is serviceable and full auto rated it comes with all the common thread adaptors and a 22 and 9 mm cap. Also comes with a pistol adapter. One stamp for several configurations.

mmi

the 300 whisper is not the only cartridge that was designed for suppressors i think he did like 4 more

MunsonMan

UZI Talk Life Member
the 300 whisper is not the only cartridge that was designed for suppressors i think he did like 4 more

Yes, I just looked it up-- J.D. Jones of SSK Industries also developed Whisper cartridges in 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, .338 and .510 caliber.

BuffDragon

UZI Talk Life Member
suppress everything.
your ears will thank you.

for "wow", hard to beat a 22lr running standard/subs.

you have to know that any caliber running under the speed of sound will be quiet. any caliber running over the speed of sound will be much louder due to the supersonic crack. what you dont have when using a suppressor is the excess powders exploding right in front of you as they exit the barrel (a simplified explanation). you still have the miniature sonic boom of the projectile and let's not forget the WHACK of the target getting hit.

is running a 556 can on a full power rifle/load a waste? up to you. but a can on a 16" AR is pretty close to hearing safe, or at least a whole lot better than no ear-pro. the same could be said for most any combination, short of a SBR, etc.

YMMV

for the most part, most all of my "for fun" shooting is suppressed. my hunting shotgun and a couple of rifles I inherited from my dad dont have cans (though that is subject to change)
all of my hunting rifles are suppressed, as are my daughters. much easier to instruct while hunting, without having ear-pro on.
tacticool? perhaps. but shoot next to a 10.5" AR with and without a can and you'll wonder why they arent mandatory (regardless of your ear-pro)

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
I am looking into the Griffin Optimus. It does 22 LR to 300 win mag. It is serviceable and full auto rated it comes with all the common thread adaptors and a 22 and 9 mm cap. Also comes with a pistol adapter. One stamp for several configurations.

Not going to feel good hanging off the end of a .22! The joy of a 4oz .22 can cannot be overstated. Just finally got my own and had the pleasure of shooting it. It adds so little weight, and it's just so cool.

Last edited:

Gaujo

UZI Talk Supporter
suppress everything.
your ears will thank you.

for "wow", hard to beat a 22lr running standard/subs.

you have to know that any caliber running under the speed of sound will be quiet. any caliber running over the speed of sound will be much louder due to the supersonic crack. what you dont have when using a suppressor is the excess powders exploding right in front of you as they exit the barrel (a simplified explanation). you still have the miniature sonic boom of the projectile and let's not forget the WHACK of the target getting hit.

is running a 556 can on a full power rifle/load a waste? up to you. but a can on a 16" AR is pretty close to hearing safe, or at least a whole lot better than no ear-pro. the same could be said for most any combination, short of a SBR, etc.

YMMV

for the most part, most all of my "for fun" shooting is suppressed. my hunting shotgun and a couple of rifles I inherited from my dad dont have cans (though that is subject to change)
all of my hunting rifles are suppressed, as are my daughters. much easier to instruct while hunting, without having ear-pro on.
tacticool? perhaps. but shoot next to a 10.5" AR with and without a can and you'll wonder why they arent mandatory (regardless of your ear-pro)

My uncle and my good friend both have hearing damage from being positioned beside someone shooting with a muzzle brake at a range. I agree they should be mandatory. I for one don't go near anyone shooting big rifles when I'm at the target range because of these stories.

MACchat

Mandatory? As in the law (and or range) requires you to have a suppressor (plus $200 tax stamp) on any and all firearms?

:roflmao

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter