Where's all the m2 carbine guys?

89lx

SN: stamped on a trigger housing indicates a incorrectly registered conversion kit. Im not saying its wrong but something the ATF let slip by and has issues with ATF.

What would be the problem with the trigger housing being the registered component? Just curious as that is what I have.

My housing has an etched number (not stamped, semantics). The form-4 lists the manufacturer as S&S Arms Co. It's been 5 years ago now, but I had no problem with the transfer at that time.

Again, not trying to argue. Just curious.

xm15e2s

A proper ATF conversion kit will contain one of seven parts marked with a serial number.

1.Disconnect lever, most common.
2.Selector lever.
3.Disconnector
4.9 spring (not possible to engrave SN. shouldnt be any out there)
5.Disconnect plunger (not possible to engrave SN. shouldnt be any out there)
6.Plunger spring (not possible to engrave SN. shouldnt be any out there)
7.M2 Hammer

The trigger housing is neither a firearm or a part considered by the ATF as a conversion part. Housings were ONCE allowed to be registered but ATF calls the conversion "improper". The status of the conversion is between the owner and ATF.

It would be like someone registering the front sight of a M1 carbine as the conversion part. AGAIN ATF did allow the housing to be marked at one time.

Last edited:

89lx

Interesting. Thanks!!!

Yeah, I have seen several where it was the disconnet lever. I was happy to find one with the trigger housing registered as just about everything else on that list is a "wear-item". I thought at the time, "I'll never wear out a trigger housing".

xm15e2s

The most desired part to be marked is the selector. Those with a marked selector have the BEST because it basically gets no wear.

89lx

The most desired part to be marked is the selector. Those with a marked selector have the BEST because it basically gets no wear.

Yep, you'd have to flip that selector back-and-forth a whole lot of times to wear it out!!!!!!

Todd440

UZI Talk Supporter
XM, you are right. These are ww2 guns, converted by rock island in 86. Unfired after conversion is what I should have said. Well, I was still right, fired as m1's, but unfired as m2's! I'm not sure if I can shoot them, or just save them. I have a trigger pack on the way too.
Oh screw it, I'm shooting one of them.
Hugh, this pic is for you. One of my favorites.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 301

MontanaRenegade86

UZI Talk Supporter
XM, you are right. These are ww2 guns, converted by rock island in 86. Unfired after conversion is what I should have said. Well, I was still right, fired as m1's, but unfired as m2's! I'm not sure if I can shoot them, or just save them. I have a trigger pack on the way too.
Oh screw it, I'm shooting one of them.
Hugh, this pic is for you. One of my favorites.

Can I ask what you gave for the Rock Island Carbines and the trigger pack?

I got my Rock Island Armory Inland for $6,995 from Ruben.

I missed out on a registered slide for $5,500. :(

Kramer

A proper ATF conversion kit will contain one of seven parts marked with a serial number.

2.Selector lever.
3.Disconnector
7.M2 Hammer

The trigger housing is neither a firearm or a part considered by the ATF as a conversion part. Housings were ONCE allowed to be registered but ATF calls the conversion "improper". The status of the conversion is between the owner and ATF.

It would be like someone registering the front sight of a M1 carbine as the conversion part. AGAIN ATF did allow the housing to be marked at one time.

The disconnecter plunger and spring go with the disconnecter, they don't count separately. The two that you are missing are the M2 hammer and slide, both will also work on a M1. Some M2 slides were registered back in the day and possibly some hammers too.

KML

2.Selector lever.
3.Disconnector
7.M2 Hammer

Interesting......I know 3 guys with M-1 carbines with trigger housing conversions. If fact several people consider them the best conversions to buy. That's why one of the 3 bought his last year,I think the form 4 came back in June of 13.

Todd440

UZI Talk Supporter
None of those parts work with out a m2 sear and m2 trigger housing also. I do remember seeing a few registered sears, even a round carbine bolt. Amazing what the registered.

Kramer

None of those parts work with out a m2 sear and m2 trigger housing also. I do remember seeing a few registered sears, even a round carbine bolt. Amazing what the registered.

I forgot the M2 sear and it can be used in a M1 and work semi auto only (same with hammer and slide). IIRC The only difference on the trigger housing is the spot for the "9" spring to sit.

xm15e2s

The seven parts listed are right off the ATF website.

Those seven parts are what ATF calls a machinegun.

The disconnect spring and plunger are 2 of the seven parts.

M2 sear and M2 slide and M2 cut housing are not considered auto conversion parts.

Many variations of registration happened in the past. Just because they are improper per ATF doesnt necessarily make them wrong or illegal.

Todd440

UZI Talk Supporter
I forgot the M2 sear and it can be used in a M1 and work semi auto only (same with hammer and slide). IIRC The only difference on the trigger housing is the spot for the "9" spring to sit.

Don't forget about the notch in the top of the right side of the mag well. It's for the lever to sit in flush. Also, original m2 housings have extra clearance inside for the block, the later converted ones do not.

Hughjimbissel

UZI Talk Life Member
Todd440: thanks! I have only seen a few photos of the modified carbines (guessing all done "in theatre") from time to time. I have been told by an old high school buddy who was an RTO with the advisors (back before most of us even knew where Vietnam was...) that the guns were passed along as people rotated out and so not all that many of them floating around.

I like sub guns and that looks like a way to make an M2 into one, an increasingly more and more attractive idea as the NFA market accelerates off into the distance and leaves me behind. I already have the stuff I can afford and the rest is getting harder and harder to catch up to.

zipakna

UZI Talk Life Member
ATF put themselves in a bind in the 1981 ban with DIAS, conversion kits, sears, trigger packs, open bolt Semi's...... i have a post around here somewhere on this. ATF knows they screwed up on it saying that any of those items after 1981 must have a serial number and reg'd as machine guns. and than there was a further 'oops' in 1986 with not allowing any more machine guns to be reg'd and yet another oops last year.. where the courts ruled "atf has authority to define a machine gun, but had No authority in making exemptions" such as, all of those parts Must have a Serial Number and Reg'd Except ones made before 1981.

xm15e2s

Here is my M1 pistol and I also use it for a M2 full auto with a Reg M2 kit.

Its not a cheap "enforcer". The enforcers are cast receivers.

This is a dedicated pistol and not a SBR. It uses a fulton armory stripped receiver that was a "other" and built into a pistol.

I add my M2 kit as needed for full auto fun.

It is suppressor ready and works very well with a Mystic 9mm suppressor.

It is actually shorter than the one pictured above since it uses a M1A1 stock instead of a cut M1 stock.

hswbhg.jpg

Last edited:

gocargo

UZI Talk Supporter
M2s are big time fun!

Some things about them.......

SN: stamped on a trigger housing indicates a incorrectly registered conversion kit. Im not saying its wrong but something the ATF let slip by and has issues with ATF.

Host USGI M1 carbines are not cheap anymore. If you have a conversion kit, Fulton or James River make a great host rifle.

Which would be the correct numbered part of the of a registered non-receiver m2 carbine kit, perhaps the long flat trip rod part? -thanks!

Kramer

Which would be the correct numbered part of the of a registered non-receiver m2 carbine kit, perhaps the long flat trip rod part? -thanks!

It depends on who did the registration and what they registered. Yes, the trip levers were a registered part, but I have also seen hammers, sears, disconnectors, selectors, even slides registered.

Quake Guy

funny thing, go look at old machine gun ads after 1986, you could have bought 2-3 HK conversion sears for the price of an full auto carbine...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.

Please Visit our Sister Sites Below

Sister Board - Sturmgewehr Sister Board - MachinegunBoards

Please consider becoming an UZI Talk Supporter